New 3DS improved stereoscopic 3D.

Greetings to the Beyond community:

By now we've heard of the incoming 3DS revision arriving this October in Japan and with it a host of amendments and improvements over it's precessors. Chief among them is the promise of a better stereoscopic 3D effect by the way of eye tracking (acording to Nintendo).

Watching some photo comparisons between the old and new models, there's seems to be an improvement of the camera sensor, yet the resolution remains the same for what i can tell. As you know the cameras in this device have a maximun resolution of 640*480 pixels. Comparing to other mobile devices that supposedly do eye tracking, we are talking of inner camera around 2 megapixels.

If NIntendo is indeede doing eye tracking, do any of the knowledge able people think that such low resolution is enough? Maybe they are just resolving the eyeballs position, not actual movement, an extrapolating from there to correct the viewing angle of the rendered frames.

Also wonder if they manage to do that withouth any perceptible lag.

Hopefully this is worth of some discussion XD

Maybe they are just resolving the eyeballs position, not actual movement, an extrapolating from there to correct the viewing angle of the rendered frames.
That's exactly what they're doing, just figuring out where the eyes themselves are, not where you're looking. Actual eye tracking with any real-time benefit is still years away.

I'm more interested in the physical side of it, exactly what is "better" about the 3D implementation on the new screens. It's not just the camera tracking, it's supposed to have a wider viewable 3D FOV as well, as I understand it.

Buy after the smea hack is released. From the talk, it is a full access hack. Disabling region lock can be done. Although currently no hacker has talked about region unlock for online...

Only unlock for physical game.

So, is it just wider dispersion angle for lenticular 3D or some fancy eyetracking and adapting of the angels on the fly?

As I understand it, they're not using lenticular displays, at least they weren't on the Old 3DS.

I wonder what effect it would have changing the distances between the backlight, parallax barrier, and the LCD panel? Moving them closer or further apart, or changing the ratio of the two sets of measurements?

Maybe one of the reason they changed the technology of the stereoscopic 3D was to completely own the patents...this time.

We still don't really know if the 3D is really better, apart from better viewing angles, which I couldn't care less.

Viewing angles are the single biggest complaint about the old systems, so I'd say that's worth caring about.
was it? I thought it was ppl complaining their eyes hurt after 15minutes of using 3d
the patent thing could be true also, I read a couple days ago, nintendo had to pay someone from sony 30 million dollars for the 3d tech

Just remembered made this thread some time ago but left some details in the original post. ('o')/

Not anything of much worth but maybe some folks around her remember Nintendo's stock acquisition from PUX (now a joint venture between them and Panasonic):

http://www.pux.co.jp/en/softsensor/faceu.html

There's a fairly good chance some of the technology, knowledge or experience from PUX are been employed here.

There's also an extra feature added to the N3DS. While the inward facing camera remains at the relative lower resolution of 640*480, and IR emitter has been added close to it (little circle side of the camera). It bathes the user face in IR so detecting it in low light conditions is made easier.
photo1.jpg

Adding to this in the Japanese Direct it is mentioned that the device is using data colected from the Gyroscope to aid with the 3D repositioning. To me this is new since i don't recall any other 3D capable mobile devices using the motion sensors for this purpose.

Not surprising, but not a big deal, either. Face tracking is dead easy at this point, I'm far more interested in the apparently dynamic 3D effect, I can't even guess how that's even possible.

even if theres a "lag" when changing face position, i think it will be much better than the current 3DS where i need to see it head-on.

other than the need of head-on view, the 3D in 3DS is the best i ever seen. Very minimal crosstalk, easy on eyes, the picture looks as good as 2D, no flicker. (compared to active and passive 3d glasses on tv).

usually on layton / ace attorney games i turned on the 3D every scene changes to see the beautiful "hand-drawn" scene in 3D. then turn it off because the need to see it head-on is really cumbersome.

Apparently the new stereoscopic 3D effect got rid of the "pop-out" effect as seen in the Neogaf thread:

Instead of feeling like the game is popping out, it's as though the New 3DS is drawing you into the game

New 2.5DS?

even if theres a "lag" when changing face position, i think it will be much better than the current 3DS where i need to see it head-on.

other than the need of head-on view, the 3D in 3DS is the best i ever seen. Very minimal crosstalk, easy on eyes, the picture looks as good as 2D, no flicker. (compared to active and passive 3d glasses on tv).

usually on layton / ace attorney games i turned on the 3D every scene changes to see the beautiful "hand-drawn" scene in 3D. then turn it off because the need to see it head-on is really cumbersome.

Agreed that the 3D is good. Never had much issues with it when trying in the store either and the layton story bits looked fantastic. Glad this new one is coming, as I might get one for my son and then enjoy the new 3D effects myself (he doesn't care for 3D much yet)

Pop-out is entirely dependent on what the game does. Very few games used pop-out on 3DS but it was perfectly possible.

the new laytob vs phoenix have nice popup effect in menus , balloon talk, and much more. but the best ib "Objection" balloon :D

Was asking some questions to people that import the system regarding at what angles the effect worked and how fast it re adjust when the camera loses track of the player's face. Here's what someone uploaded to youtube (starting a 4:40 more or less):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHJjWu7mGJ8

It looks like as long as the face is maintained in the camera's FOV and the movements aren't too sudden the sweetspot is adjusted smoothly maintaining the ilusion. Notice how at one time the unit is almost paralel to the ground yet the effect is retained.

The "3D+", as it's known, can be disabled in the options. i was suggesting to some importers to turn the option of and compare the effect to the original unit to see if there are any significant improvements to the paralax barrier beyond the face tracking. Will see if in the future someone responds back.

Also in the options, there's an small pane where it can be seen in realtime the camera tracking. It seems to do a pretty solid job in resolving different parts of the user with minimun lag, even when tilting the neck side to side.

Of course the camera works better under optimal lighting conditions, but it has been reported that even with a monitor's glare in conjuction with the build in LED it maintains the stereoscopic effect well.

Another surprising perk is that the effect seems to work perfectly fine while using the internal gyroscope for things like aiming or camera control. Even while using the build in AR application "Face Riders" the 3D+ does a commendable job maintaining the ilusion.

One question I still have is now the effect compares to the original in terms of distance to the screen. Angle is one thing, but I frequently have to hold my OG 3DS closer to my face than I'd like in order to avoid getting crosstalk at the sides. I'm thinking specifically of the XL, and whether or not I'll be able to hold it at a more comfortable distance and still be in the "sweet spot".

Back