I treated myself to a New 3DS

I've been a day1 3ds owner. It's probably been the least favorite (and certainly least used) piece of hardware I've owned so far. From the angular, uncomfortable design, the fuzzy display resolution, the lackluster controls to the glasses-free stereoscopy that's likely to cause you a searing neck pain should you ever choose to use it for longer than 10 straight minutes. Then there was of course the fact that gamers with any sort of interest in whatever lies beyond Nintendo's own franchise iteration machinery were left a little wanting to say the least. Heck, Big N is so fucking conservative they barely dare to touch their own ip unless Mario's in it in some capacity.

That said, I like the new little guy (I opted for the more portable version). The resolution is still fuzzy of course, but just about all my other complaints have either been sorted out by the new hardware, or simply by the passage of time (like the lack in software and the shambolic e store). Face tracking is the real game changer here. As long as the front camera can see your face, 3d is remarkably stable now. Cranking the 3d slider to the max and playing for a couple of hours straight without discomfort just works. I drained my battery playing Wayforward's new Shantae game and I had a blast. The puny analog nub works surpringly well, too. Getting used to it in Resident Evil Revelations didn't take long. As a matter of fact it's Nintendo's unconventional button placement that is proving to be a much bigger issue for me at the moment.

Last edited:
Have they eased the migration path from an older 3DS?

I tried it in the store today, almost certain that I would buy it for me and my son. But I couldn't get over how even the new 3DS feels horrible. The controls feel spongy and leggy, the graphics are only barely less pixels than N64 and the games are extremely expensive. The combination is killing any interest I have in playing the games. I'm more likely to get a Wii U eventually now. My son showed no interest either, though AI really think he could love Zelda, Pokemon and even Monster Hunter.

I don't want to make this a fanwar thing, but I have never before today felt that Nintendo should make their games for other platforms.

Now though - very much so!

Hmm my 3DS is almost exclusively for visual novels

Ace attorney, ace attorney vs Layton, two laytons...

Last great non visual novel was Kid Icarus.

People says bravely default was great but I got bored quickly, the story did not pull me.

Btw ace attorney vs Layton looks awesome in 3D. Too bad the framerate often drop below 30.

Layton did look great when I saw that a while ago, that's certainly true.

I got one as well. I got the Monster Hunter 4 special edition New 3DS.

Some things to note. The back becomes extremely slippery if you use it for any extended length of time (2-3+ hours) without cleaning it. Making using it more strenuous than it needs to be. The nub for me and some of my friends slips off the finger far too easily. It works very well when that isn't happening, but obviously doesn't work too well when your finger slips off of it in the middle of a MH4 battle.

This is my first DS/3DS. It's amazing how much the 2nd screen adds to games. Especially on a device with limited screen real estate. Not only in the presentation of pertinent information, but also in making many actions more accessible on a device with a limited number of buttons.

However, the drawback to that 2nd screen is that the device is somewhat unwieldy to use for extended periods. I'd imagine I'll get used to it in time, but it was fairly uncomfortable to use after a couple hours.

The 3D works quite well. But only when there is enough lighting for the camera to reliably track your head movements. If there isn't, you'll get a lot of ghosting or "flashing" (where ghosting appears and disappeares) if your head moves the tiniest bit. I imagine that even in dim lighting conditions where the camera can't track you very well, it's still worlds better than the original 3DS, however.

I do like it extremely well. Especially since there appears to be quite a few turn based RPGs (yay for turn based!). I wish the main screen had a higher resolution, however. As with the 3D turned on you have sharp visuals but glaring jaggies and mostly unfiltered textures. Going to 3D filters the textures, but the resolution is so low that it just ends up making them look blurrier.

Hopefully, there will be some 3rd party "thingies" that will address the slippery nub and slipper backside problems that I and some of my friends have. I imagine that would make it a lot more comfortable to use if I don't have to grip it harder and harder as it gets more and more slippery (sometimes you just can't clean it for a while).

Still, it's by far the best handheld I've owned, and thinking back, it makes me wish I'd gotten a Nintendo DS instead of a Sony PSP back in 2005. And that says a lot considering I loved my Sony PSP.

Regards,
SB

I've been a day1 3ds owner. It's probably been the least favorite (and certainly least used) piece of hardware I've owned so far. From the angular, uncomfortable design, the fuzzy display resolution, the lackluster controls to the glasses-free stereoscopy that's likely to cause you a searing neck pain should you ever choose to use it for longer than 10 straight minutes. Then there was of course the fact that gamers with any sort of interest in whatever lies beyond Nintendo's own franchise iteration machinery were left a little wanting to say the least. Heck, Big N is so fucking conservative they barely dare to touch their own ip unless Mario's in it in some capacity.

That said, I like the new little guy (I opted for the more portable version). The resolution is still fuzzy of course, but just about all my other complaints have either been sorted out by the new hardware, or simply by the passage of time (like the lack in software and the shambolic e store). Face tracking is the real game changer here. As long as the front camera can see your face, 3d is remarkably stable now. Cranking the 3d slider to the max and playing for a couple of hours straight without discomfort just works. I drained my battery playing Wayforward's new Shantae game and I had a blast. The puny analog nub works surpringly well, too. Getting used to it in Resident Evil Revelations didn't take long. As a matter of fact it's Nintendo's unconventional button placement that is proving to be a much bigger issue for me at the moment.
I am torn between Vita and 3DS (I used to prefer the Vita), but the 3D graphics -now that they work better, according to you (I've never had a 3DS before)- and the library of games tip the scales in 3DS' favour. I am not a big fan of mobile gaming save for a few games and the 3DS would be the chosen platform... It'll take a while though.

I have 3ds and vita.. 3ds overall have much more fun and beautiful game.

Although it took me a while to ignore the technical deficit and enjoy what is presented.

@Cyan: I love my Vita. As far as dedicated handheld gaming hardware is concerned it's still the undisputed king of the hill. It's just a shame about the software situation. If you've never owned one before there's actually a pretty decent gaming library out there. The problem is that the games you cannot get someplace else either better, cheaper, or both, are few and far between. At the moment it's pretty much exclusively a machine for indie hand-me-downs.
I spent most of my weekend with Zelda - A Link between Worlds, and there's just nothing quite like it on the Vita in terms of design, scale and polish. That's because Nintendo doesn't treat its portables like the red headed stepchild of the family. They get the A team treatment just like the big consoles do. Indiegames notwithstanding, the Vita basically peaked right on launch day (Uncharted, Wipeout, Stardust, Everybody's Golf, Marvel VS Capcom, Blazblue, Rayman Origins) , had a couple of crying for help kinda moments with Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush, Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary, and then it pretty much fell into a comatose sleep.

So if you are in for a handheld, I'd probably go for the 3ds at this point.

Ohhh I want one so bad now they put the snes colored buttons on it :D

Problem is that I live in Japan and Nintendo, in the usual bat shit insane way the Japanese make decisions, decided to region lock the 3DS... As my Japanese isn't anywhere near good enough to play the likes of Zelda I'm pretty much stuck to importing if I want one.

But if you are importing, buyingbuying game off eshop mproblematic matic. It only accept correct credit card region.

Although Amazon can bypass it. They don't mind buying eshop card with fake us address lol

Ehhh?

I bought MH4U this weekend through the e-Shop without my UK credit or debit card.
I guess it depends on what kind of card you got?

@Cyan: I love my Vita. As far as dedicated handheld gaming hardware is concerned it's still the undisputed king of the hill. It's just a shame about the software situation. If you've never owned one before there's actually a pretty decent gaming library out there. The problem is that the games you cannot get someplace else either better, cheaper, or both, are few and far between. At the moment it's pretty much exclusively a machine for indie hand-me-downs.

And "weird" jap stuff.

seriously, im dead curious...

i would rather punish underage girls than vita punish my investment (it basically become glorified remoteplay device... and it works even WORSE than using smartphone bah...)

Back