My editorial is finally out.

DaveBaumann said:
Why am I slightly concerned about the number of time BB has been mentioned here in relation to NVNEW's news posts and BB's state of pleasure :?:

Because he also sends news to the newsposters? :p

DaveBaumann said:
Why am I slightly concerned about the number of time BB has been mentioned here in relation to NVNEW's news posts and BB's state of pleasure :?:

Well it seems obvious to me that Burke and the rest of his spin team are not averse to wielding a big heavy hammer when web sites displease him. We've all heard the stories of review sites being exluded if they displease Burke or even being threatened by lawyers.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
DaveBaumann said:

Well it seems obvious to me that Burke and the rest of his spin team are not averse to wielding a big heavy hammer when web sites displease him. We've all heard the stories of review sites being exluded if they displease Burke or even being threatened by lawyers.
Or both when you really piss 'em off. ;)

Speaking of which, I sent an e-mail to Derek & Brian to see about getting their reaction on the editorial...any takers on if I'll get a response or not? :LOL:

volt said:
Miksu said:
micron said:
You dont know NV News then...

Personally I've seen some change in the way nVnews is posting news nowadays. Little over a month ago they seemed to be really neutral in every post but now they seem to pick up more "nVidia-rox"-things out from the reviews. In addition they've been eager to add some stuff to front page which shows Ati in bad light. I'm not sure how long Muya has been doing all the news-stuff but if I remember correctly, there were some others who also posted on news page some time ago, and they seemed to be more unbiased. Now they've all disappearred. (No conspiracy-theories in this. Just something I've noticed).

Just my two cents.

That's about correct. Me and Baron were also posting. However I left nvnews a few weeks ago.
Does your leaving have anything to do with the bias everyone is discussing and the direction nVnews is going? :oops:

digitalwanderer said:
volt said:
Miksu said:
micron said:

Personally I've seen some change in the way nVnews is posting news nowadays. Little over a month ago they seemed to be really neutral in every post but now they seem to pick up more "nVidia-rox"-things out from the reviews. In addition they've been eager to add some stuff to front page which shows Ati in bad light. I'm not sure how long Muya has been doing all the news-stuff but if I remember correctly, there were some others who also posted on news page some time ago, and they seemed to be more unbiased. Now they've all disappearred. (No conspiracy-theories in this. Just something I've noticed).

Just my two cents.

That's about correct. Me and Baron were also posting. However I left nvnews a few weeks ago.
Does your leaving have anything to do with the bias everyone is discussing and the direction nVnews is going? :oops:

An interesting point you are making, however I don't have a definite answer to it. Again I tried posting all kinds of information, not necessarily likable by some PR persons, same would go for reviews / articles. I've heard (ample times) of Radeon reviews which were never posted. I'm not here to judge. IMO it was much different ~3-6 months ago.

During the time I was on the team, Uttars editorial would definetly be posted (because of the reliability) regardless what BB or others would have said. Making my leaving public would be pointless, it's better to just disappear I guess.

IIRC the 9600 PRO doesn't exist if you search through NVNEW's archives at around the time of its launch.

Why did you leave Volt, if you don't mind my asking?

DaveBaumann said:
IIRC the 9600 PRO doesn't exist if you search through NVNEW's archives at around the time of its launch.

Why did you leave Volt, if you don't mind my asking?

IIRC, there were supposed to be 2 Radeon 9800 reviews. Or at least those were planned.

Don't want to get too much off topic here :)

I didn't leave per se, it was more like a pink slip. Me and Mike did not get along well for the past few months. We did not agree on couple of things which leads me to speculate why I was given the slip in the first place.

The arguments I received didn't justify the decision IMHO. Simply put, it was said that I was damaging NVNEWS professional ethics. I won't discuss more however.

volt said:
IIRC, there were supposed to be 2 Radeon 9800 reviews. Or at least those were planned.

Afaik, there was supposed to be a R9600pro review too but it was cancelled. I remember once visiting NVNews' irc-channel and someone (Ben?) was promoting 9600Pro as a good product and he said that he would publish his review in a few days. This happened ~2 months ago. I've the logs somewhere..

Sazar said:
I would be surprised to see b3d post it on the front page as well... but thats just my opinion...

So would I. Not amazed, certainly, but moderately surprised. However, this has much more to do with the difference between the two sites. Nvnews often has more front page links in a day than B3D does in a *month*. That's one of the things I *like* about nvnews. That voracious appetite for news (again, I like it) is what makes the lack of the link to Uttar's piece stand out so obviously. Nvnews linked NFI when it went up, linked about NFI going away. . .but doesn't link NFI's last, most interesting contribution. They didn't have to applaud it, but not linking it at all was disappointing and blinking neon-light obvious. They could have called it "sure to be controversial" or a hundred other things that could have signalled their disapproval, as they've done often before while linking something.

But I'm done on this subject now.

micron said:
geo said:
I feel pretty confidant that if this was the same kind of thing re ATI from a correspondent of Uttar's quality it would most certainly be on the front page of nvnews.

Been going to Nvnews two or three times a day for. . .uh. . .four years now? Somthing like that. I like their front page, really, I'm not just making it up so I can play the "more in sorrow than anger" card believably. I really am a regular to the front page (much more intermittent on the forums, however).

Best. Geo

Look, so maybe this was a little about timing, sentiment, and the realization that a lot of the editorial contains facts that have been rehashed repeatedly...

Nothing really against the article, but I get the "I've heard it all before" feeling from it...

Please realize that the nvnews community went throught some very hard times from january until well into the nv35's lifespan... the community was inundated with immature bashers and bringers of FUD and general crapola... the past couple months has seen a turnaround in the community's standing behind nvidia and their products, and that's to be commended (the company and the site)... i don't think I'm blowing thigs out of proportion when I say that the nvnews forums were hell for a while... full of nv-bashers, FUD spreaders, naysayers, undermedicated fanboys and n00b consumers looking for someone to yell at...

It gets old...

I certainly feel that nv has made some mistakes, but I don't make a forum career out of bashing one brand or another.

And Uttar, I don't really feel that you were bashing.. but just bringing up points that have been around the block a few times already... Mike's patience has run out on that stuff, and understandably so... he has his own fish to fry...

:)

Re: ...

ragejg said:
Look, so maybe this was a little about timing, sentiment, and the realization that a lot of the editorial contains facts that have been rehashed repeatedly...

Nothing really against the article, but I get the "I've heard it all before" feeling from it...

Please realize that the nvnews community went throught some very hard times from january until well into the nv35's lifespan... the community was inundated with immature bashers and bringers of FUD and general crapola... the past couple months has seen a turnaround in the community's standing behind nvidia and their products, and that's to be commended (the company and the site)...
Uhm, why? What has nVidia done to be commended for lately and why would there EVER be a good reason for pushing nVidia PR?

ragejg said:
i don't think I'm blowing thigs out of proportion when I say that the nvnews forums were hell for a while... full of nv-bashers, FUD spreaders, naysayers, undermedicated fanboys and n00b consumers looking for someone to yell at...

It gets old...

I certainly feel that nv has made some mistakes, but I don't make a forum career out of bashing one brand or another.

And Uttar, I don't really feel that you were bashing.. but just bringing up points that have been around the block a few times already... Mike's patience has run out on that stuff, and understandably so... he has his own fish to fry...

:)
I'm sorry, but I'm just flabbergasted by this post ragejg. :oops:

Well, I would have been surprised if it made B3D's frontpage, so really no frustration there - generally no links to that type of stuff, plus no really good reason to link to it :) If anything, perhaps it was more professionnal not to do so. Although I'd still love to get some honest, either positive or negative, feedback from you Dave ;)

nV News, I was expecting them to link it. I wasn't really supposing they'd make a big deal out of it - considering Volt was out, being a part of one of Muya's roundups would have been perfectly satisfying to me.

Mike's a nice guy, but from my understanding, he doesn't like the site going TOO ATI centered either: that means NVIDIA doesn't like them, and ATI will never love them either since it's "nV" News. Plus, BB's a mess to deal with when he's annoyed. I doubt anyone would disagree with me there. He CAN be a nice guy when he's in good relations with you - if that's not the case, though...

I obviously also shouldn't have said anything regarding nV News. It just made Muya angry at me, and not injustly: he said it in "confidence" - I admit I pretty much disregarded though, because in the way he told me, I assumed that meant "Don't tell it anywhere it might have any real impact" - which IMO I didn't do. But sounds like I misinterpreted him :(

Plus, I find Muya and Mike's positions perfectly understandable. I doubt I'd do very differently if I was in their case - maybe I'd have tried not to get in that position, but whether they didn't also try to do so, I don't even know either. I certainly do have respect for Mike's work.

What you must also understand is that while nV News, while seeming to have even way more news and other things than before, now has a very small core staff team: Muya for news, StealthHawk for moderating. MikeC helping a bit for both, and a few other moderators.
The result is that a few people got complete control over what's done. When other posters such as Volt were there, no matter if one person thought doing that could have hurt him: another one would have thought the opposite.

Muya has ATI hardware ( a R300 ) on his computer, and likes all kind of reviews, generally linking to ATI stuff as well. Him thinking linking to ULE would be too extreme to the community and others' liking seems extremely reasonable to me.

Bashing anyone for not linking ULE would be highly unreasonable ( beside for Fudo, who promised me to do so, and still didn't get around to even reading it I suspect ;) ).
nV News or B3D or anything ( but The Inq :p ) linking to it now would kinda be seen as ridiculous by the community I suspect, considering there's already all these responses.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys!

Uttar

P.S.: Volt, feel free to kill me, I barely ( read: not all ) worked on GPU:RW v3 since you last talked to me on IRC ;)

volt said:

Don't want to get too much off topic here :)

I didn't leave per se, it was more like a pink slip. Me and Mike did not get along well for the past few months. We did not agree on couple of things which leads me to speculate why I was given the slip in the first place.

The arguments I received didn't justify the decision IMHO. Simply put, it was said that I was damaging NVNEWS professional ethics. I won't discuss more however.

Although I don't sign up there just for the reasons posted in this thread, I read often..always thought you were a pretty level headed guy for a Nvidia fan site moderator/admin.
I would like to see fan sites die a ugly death, no need anymore with the hardware today. A site that is more diverse allows for less bias too.

Thats funny...you post at Rage3D :D ...and did I hear the words "less bias" come out of your mouth?...heh...aint that the pot calling the kettle black :D

Whatever happened to typedef enum? I remember he wrote a nice Parhelia review for Nvnews, but apparently he's been banned? :?:

Back