MS Research: IllumiRoom *spin*

Sure it's cool, and adding stuff to the periphery is actually a pretty big win, but how do you pack a peripheral like that into a reasonably priced box? and what's the requirement on the end user to set it up?

Well, in the end it's a low-resolution projector with a really large aperture, and a wireless connection no?

Since there was some talk could the "project images to room" be part of Kinect 2.0, it's been now demonstrated under name IllumiRoom.
It's said it's all realtime, no added effects on the video afterwards or some such

Well, in the end it's a low-resolution projector with a really large aperture, and a wireless connection no?

Actually given the size of the image I doubt it's all that lowres, and large image means lots of lumens which generally doesn't translate to cheap, nor particularly robust, though it may be feasible with some of the newer projector technologies.
The projector has to be mounted with a complete view of the front wall, That probably means a ceiling mount, how many people are in a position to do that?

Since there was some talk could the "project images to room" be part of Kinect 2.0, it's been now demonstrated under name IllumiRoom.
It's said it's all realtime, no added effects on the video afterwards or some such

Wow!! Thats really impressive. I can see that being a strong competitive advantage if it becomes a feature!! Immersing!

Intensity will be very low without a super bright, super hot, super expensive lamp. Just look up conventional projectors to gauge prices. I bought a short-throw 720p projector just before Christmas at a stellar deal of about £300. There's remarkable value, and yet it suffers from rainbow artefacts to the entry-level DLP implementation and I doubt would be suitable for such an environmental projection. I don't think any decent quality projector tech is going to cost less than $lots for MS to include.

I really don't think it's worth including in the discussion about next-gen hardware. I'm pretty sure there's already a thread to discuss the patent (Kinect thread?).

Very impressive. I'd totally buy that as an add-on and even adjust the room to accommodate it. I hope it becomes a reality.

The IntelliRoom tech is really impressive, not only the samples in the video, for example leaving the HUD out the screen, or multiplayer without any other TV...

Intensity will be very low without a super bright, super hot, super expensive lamp. Just look up conventional projectors to gauge prices. I bought a short-throw 720p projector just before Christmas at a stellar deal of about £300. There's remarkable value, and yet it suffers from rainbow artefacts to the entry-level DLP implementation and I doubt would be suitable for such an environmental projection. I don't think any decent quality projector tech is going to cost less than $lots for MS to include.

I really don't think it's worth including in the discussion about next-gen hardware. I'm pretty sure there's already a thread to discuss the patent (Kinect thread?).

What if it is not like a standard projector but rather a device you place on a table between you and the TV? They can make the projection wide enough and it will not require a very hot bright lamp when its closer positioned to your front wall. Light density will be higher because of smaller distance

It's a good idea, a cheap projector with a wideangle lens, I guess it's scanning to find where the small TV is to map it, (you need to play on a small TV for this technology to make any sense). Shadows will be cast by any objects, including the TV. You can see the meticulous room setup and the camera placed in a way to hide this. No coffee table, everything as close to the wall as possible. White walls and white carpet (yeah, like that's gonna happen in my living room)

I already play on a 133" projector and it's as good as it gets. I'd rather have a better GPU and in-game support for 2.35:1.

What if it is not like a standard projector but rather a device you place on a table between you and the TV? They can make the projection wide enough and it will not require a very hot bright lamp when its closer positioned to your front wall. Light density will be higher because of smaller distance

No it would still require a hot bright lamp, for all practical purposes (ignoring high gain screens) the brightness is inversely proportional to the projection area, doesn't matter where you put the projector.
Short throw optics are also not particularly cheap.

It's possible with some of the motion towards laser projectors, that something could be made to work, but I can't see it being cheap enough to be a pack in and as a peripheral, it would require software support, and the testing environment would be a pain in the ass for developers.

Very cool...has freakish potential.

Texas Instruments is working on 3d without glasses. Imagine an autostereoscopic main display then having 3d glasses free projector spewing light all over your periphiral vision.

As ERP says, intensity is proportional to area (intensity isn't diminished with distance which is why a laser beam doesn't fade). Laser projectors are relatively cheap but still very low intensity. AFAIK there's nothing in the projector space that could provide a cheap, effective wall-to-wall image. And if there's any amazing new tech, it won't be used just for extended gameplay area. ;) One of the projector companies, if MS if it's in-house, would release it and clean up as the perfect projector solution.

check the research link: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/
They use a projector. It's a test of the software tech to learnt he room and adapt the rendering. I expect the projector is laser based as it's in focus regardless of distance from the projector, costing a grand minimum, but we don't know the projection setup. I don't think it will see general release at the consumer level for a long time as it needs a new projection tech like laser vastly superior to what we have now.

Texas Instruments is working on 3d without glasses. Imagine an autostereoscopic main display then having 3d glasses free projector spewing light all over your periphiral vision.
:???: 3D projection is going to need a screen at least if you aren't using glasses. There's no way you can spray light onto any old surface and have each eye see something different reflected back.

No it would still require a hot bright lamp, for all practical purposes (ignoring high gain screens) the brightness is inversely proportional to the projection area, doesn't matter where you put the projector.
Short throw optics are also not particularly cheap.

It's possible with some of the motion towards laser projectors, that something could be made to work, but I can't see it being cheap enough to be a pack in and as a peripheral, it would require software support, and the testing environment would be a pain in the ass for developers.

Well if thats the case, I wonder how seriously MS is taking this technology for consumer use. Because it seems like it cant be used as a competitive advantage if price is prohibited.
Strangely that video tells me that MS has taken it really seriously and is testing it with the prospect of releasing something functional. Why show it now if cheap and efficient technology that is good enough may not be available for years to come? Coincidentally that feature was also present in the leaked documents we got some time ago.
Really curious what MS has in mind

:???: 3D projection is going to need a screen at least if you aren't using glasses. There's no way you can spray light onto any old surface and have each eye see something different reflected back.

DLP chips are very fast . What was that 3d gif creator software? Where the pixels shift fast to give a 3d effect. Somebody had that jurasic park dinosaur avatar on neogaf.

Imagine a DLP projector with a LED light source. The projector runs at 240hz and takes the 60hz feed from xbox 720 and the DLP software wobulates each pixel 4 times.

Back