MS outsourcing game development

update on rFactor: You can change the stearing... it is set at 20 degrees, but you can change it. Really deep game and fun :)

Phil said:
I know - yet, the word realism and a game that only simulates gameplay with a controller hardly fall correctly into the same sentence IMO, especially when the author (Scooby) attempts a comparasion ("but sufficed to say it beat every game out there in the reviews, including GT4"), which

1.) isn't true
2.) is, as I read it, a sentance following up on his first one "Personally, as an avid racer and driver, it's the most realistic driving game I've played in my life", so I take it, he's refering to "realism" aspects when he sais Forza beat GT4 in reviews

(including that he points out how each car has different characteristics, so obviously he is refering to the cars, which this topic is about anyway)

I have played both games - and it's quite laughable to even compare one game that lacks all the necessary equipment to make it a realistic one (a dedicated wheel with force feedback) and the game he compares it too, goes through all lengths to bring that simulation aspect through realistic force feedback behaviour to the player. One aspect in which Forza fails is the simulation of the cars and their weight to the surface of the road and the tracks. Even by just looking at IGN's movie section, it's quite obvious Forza doesn't stimulate the bumps and their impact on the car to the extend GT4 is doing it in.

"Most realistic driving game I've played in my life" - Suuure. If it's the only one I had ever played, maybe then. And that's not even considering the racers (i.e. GTR) that are out on PC.

So now the realism of a driving game is based on the PERIPHERALS that come with that game? Tell me you're jokin!

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The game stands on it's own, and comnparing CONTROLLER to CONTROLLER it's the most realistic gaame I've ever played.

Why do you think your opinion is so much more important, or valid than mine?

If you want to talk driving mechanics, Forza actually gives you the feel that all 4 tires are touching the road, GT4 has a pivot system where your car feels like it's balanced in the center of the vehicle. In addition, the cars in GT has completely unrealistic amount of understeer, and they simple sustitute difficulty for REALISM.

I prefer Forza, I think it's muich more realistic, and the lack of PERIPHERALS as an argument against the GAME is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I know you're all proud of your FF driving wheel, but don't assume taht makes you some sort of authority on how games should be judged, and which is more realistic.

I pointed to reviews to show that I'm not the minority who thinks FOrza is better (more realistic, better gfx, better AI etc etc) YOU are the minority who cling to a 8 year old driving engine, with no damage models, and AI that drives on a freakin reail...oh right..but it was a steering wheel so therefore that makes the game itself more realistic.....riiiiight

Phil said:
Just because Forza received better reviews doesn't mean it was the more accurate simulation.

So the fact one has a FF and the other doesn't means one's a more accurate Sim?

But independant reviews judging it AS A SIM..they don't count?

Give me a break, it's widely accepted as the game that finally dethroned GT4, you don't agree? Fine, no need to ruin a perfectly good thread trying to PUSH your opinion on others.

scooby said:
So now the realism of a driving game is based on the PERIPHERALS that come with that game?

Of course not, I just found it very amusing that you would rate a game that doesn't go through all the length of aiming for a realistic experience over one that quite obviously does. In fact, I actually find it amusing to even rate a game as realistic based on how it played with a controller when there are so many examples in which games have actively supported the use of wheels to improve the experience and bring it to new levels. That you haven't been confronted with these yet actually show that you are rather one sided in your entire argument and opinion.

scooby said:
If you want to talk driving mechanics, Forza actually gives you the feel that all 4 tires are touching the road, GT4 has a pivot system where your car feels like it's balanced in the center of the vehicle. In addition, the cars in GT has completely unrealistic amount of understeer, and they simple sustitute difficulty for REALISM.

Before you go out and claim things, I really suggest you play the game with a wheel to get the full experience.

Not sure where you've digged out that claim about unrealistic understeer either.... maybe because you tried out most of the front-wheel drives? I'm looking back to weeks of playing and I can't say it makes the impression cars to understeer - in fact, the cars that I drive in real-life and have compared in GT4 seem to get the distinct characeristics pretty head on - and that includes under- / oversteer characteristics as well as weight-shift in cornering as well as engine characteristics. Then again, I have been playing the game with the wheel - and it could be that the understeer is quite apparent with the controller.

scooby said:
I pointed to reviews to show that I'm not the minority who thinks FOrza is better (more realistic, better gfx, better AI etc etc) YOU are the minority who cling to a 8 year old driving engine, with no damage models, and AI that drives on a freakin reail...oh right..but it was a steering wheel so therefore that makes the game itself more realistic.....riiiiight

Must be your memory, because you haven't pointed to any reviews. Not as if I'm interested in seeing them again though, I actually argued this point when they appeared already and know what's in them - a few actually compare it with GT4 and most of them simply give it a high rating because it's a great game on Xbox and rightfully for the AI and the damage system (which btw wasn't incorporated that well if you're that much of a realism nut as I am).

As I also said, GT4 received poor reviews for the most part because of AI issues and the missing Online mode. Apart from that, it's definately the much better game than GT3 ever was, yet it still had worse reviews. Doesn't mean however that it's as simple as comparing Forza review score X with GT4 review score Y.

As I said, Forza has some big flaws that go hand in hand with a game aiming to give the player a realistic experience. If you haven't played GT4 with a wheel, you really can't judge it's realism aspect because the game was aimed for that purpose.

But hey, if you want to go through it again, we can compare the simulation aspects again for you as a reminder. Maybe you can then stick that somewhere as a reminder before you go out pointing out imaginable things like "Forza dethroned GT4 etc". ;)

Phil said:
Of course not, I just found it very amusing that you would rate a game that doesn't go through all the length of aiming for a realistic experience over one that quite obviously does. In fact, I actually find it amusing to even rate a game as realistic based on how it played with a controller when there are so many examples in which games have actively supported the use of wheels to improve the experience and bring it to new levels. That you haven't been confronted with these yet actually show that you are rather one sided in your entire argument and opinion.

I find it very amusing that you don't understand that the XBOX can not support Force Feedback steering wheels.

Its a hardware issue! Do you even know that? If it was possible for Forza to have a good FF it would, but it's not.

It's weak that you must fall back on a hardware argument to defend a software game. The majority of people play with a controller, and that's how games should be judged. If you are going to judge on peripherals, any XBOX game would lose because they don't support force feedback, so it's an inherently unfair comparison. We're comparing GAMES not hardware features.

I don't feel like rehashing the Forza argument again, been there, dont that! But I have played GT on PS2 for well over 50 hours, have you actually given the same chance to Froza to impress you?

You;re comparing GT4 with a FF wheel, to Forza which doesn't have a FF wheel available. Do you own Forza? Can you honestly say you've gievn it a fair shake? Have you played it for a couple of weeks to truly appreciate the game?

I'm comparing GT4 which I played for over 50 hours, (I did own a PS2 once upon a time! surprise!) to Forza which I've played for over 30 hours, comparing both with a controller and I like Forza much much better. That's a fair comparison because I've played both games equally with the same hardware, can you say the same?

scooby_dooby said:
I find it very amusing that you don't understand that the XBOX can not support Force Feedback steering wheels.

Its a hardware issue! Do you even know that? If it was possible for Forza to have a good FF it would, but it's not.

Errr, what? A hardware issue? You must be kidding. You mean to tell me a simple thing like a wheel that receives signals on how to control the servos is not possible on Xbox? What's exactly not possible?

As for the rest:

Comparing Forza and GT4 is not as easy as score x vs score y - both do things well and both have their flaws. I have my personal preference set in how the cars handle on the track - and given my personal preference, I prefer the double framerate, the more realistic behaviour of the cars on the tracks and the ability of using a dedicated wheel in GT4, over the graphics, damage and better AI in Forza.

I respect your opinion in that you prefer one over the other and have your personal preference in the points it does better - what I don't respect is you posting around your opinion as if they are facts and making claims that aren't true. You've done that in the MGS thread and you're doing it here.

:idea: Maybe if you changed your additude, less people would accuse you of trolling.

Phil said:
Errr, what? A hardware issue? You must be kidding. You mean to tell me a simple thing like a wheel that receives signals on how to control the servos is not possible on Xbox? What's exactly not possible?

scooby's right. Xbox does not support FF. It's a hardware issue

Bobbler said:
How can it not? The plugs on Xbox are just USB with a different adapter. Silly MS.

I agree. MS seems to not have thought about FF when they designed the original Xbox. Definetely a big mistake.

As Bobbler says, it's USB. Unless they left out the 5v power line so there's no power, but in something like a wheel I'm sure you'd be using a seperate PSU, no? And they have Rumble, so they have force feedback functions and a power line. Makes no sense. :???:

Regards review scores they don't show which game is better. GT3 score > Forza. Ergo GT3 is a better game, right? Scores are comparative (as Phil points out) and GT4 scored relatively low because it didn't add much on to GT3. The GT franchise hasn't really progressed at all in terms of the game as a whole experience, and the fourth incarnation (not counting GT3 Concept and GT4 Prelude) is getting tiresome. As a reviewer, knowing a lot of people considering GT4 would likely already own GT3, one's reviews are likely to reflect the opinion of 'don't bother, there's not much here'. If you read the reviews for GT4 you'd have heard this actually being expressed (at least the reviews I read mentioned this). If GT3 hadn't have existed and GT4 wasn't being compared to it's elder sibling, it'd have received higher review ratings. Anyone basing their judgement on a few numbers without actually reading the full reviews isn't getting a full picture of the reviewer's opinion.

Um, that's this thread severly derailed. Only the OT didn't seem to have much scope for discussion anyway, other than 'OMG Indian's Making Graphics :oops:' and a brief debate on whether or not artistic talent in CGs should be tolerated in non-1st-world countries :p

Phil said:
Quite a few, and that includes cars that are in both GT4 and Forza on one of the race-tracks that's also featured in both games. ;)

BTW Acert93: Haven't checked rFactor yet... is it good? I guess since I converted to Linux, I'm a bit behind what's actually going on in the PC space.... :???:

I am talking about real cars in real life.

scooby_dooby said:
...GT4 has a pivot system where your car feels like it's balanced in the center of the vehicle. In addition, the cars in GT has completely unrealistic amount of understeer, and they simple sustitute difficulty for REALISM.

This comment right here utterly betrays that he has zero grasp at what he is talking about. I believe the game he really played was Ridge Racer. To confuse GT-anything with Ridge Racer-pivoting-on-an-axis-at-the-center-of-the-vehicle style of handling is effing criminal. No real driving game conniseur could hope to make such an assertion with a straight face, period.

Back