Movie Reviews 2.0

Last week I saw Dune Part 2 in the biggest theater nearby with a screen about 23*10 metres in size. I have to see the film at least once more in the cinema.

Dune Part 2 is the best film of the last 10 years and one cannot unsee that every category was realised almost perfectly. Compared to Dune Part 1 which is more shakespearean and not a popcorn mass film Dune Part 2 is made for a slightly wider audience. It's not a film for everyone and like Nolan's films it's more for an intellectual audience but it's more accessible than Dune Part 1 which I also found outstanding. Dune Part 2 is a screen adaptation from a book and with every one there need to be some changes and every one of those was right for the film and made it better.

The acting performances in Dune Part 2 were first class throughout. You believe all the characters to be from another world. Fergusen, Bardem and Chalamet were particularly outstanding.

I've never seen scenes and images like those in this film before.These moments burn into your memory. The size of the shots, the epicness and also the close-ups of the faces. The fights were intense and breathtaking from the epic to the hand-to-hand combat.

When it comes to world building there is no one on the level of Denis Villeneuve. He explains the world well with few words and lots of pictures. The world has a great depth and believability. When I read a science fiction book I imagine the environments, cities and spaceships as majestic and epically depicted as in a Denis Villeneuve film. I don't have that feeling with Star Wars or Star Trek. He captures images from the other very well and the moving pictures often have something surreal and dreamlike about them.

The time was used ideally in Dune Part 2. The director made the right decision with the choice of scenes and length. For many, it would certainly have been interesting to see more characters and even longer battles. However, this would not have made the film better. It also shows greatness if you don't include everything that was filmed and can sort out scenes. The only thing which I would have made different are the love scenes. The way it was realised was restrained and more of an adoration. They could have gone more physical.

The film consists of 3 parts. At the beginning, the film is quietly built up. Like for example, the characters and the mythology. At the end comes the finale. You can also watch the film without having seen Dune Part 1. But if you know Dune Part 1 it's even more intense. In fact, both parts should be seen as one film. Knwoing Part 1 makes what's at stake even higher.

I think Oppenheimer is a very good movie. It's one of the few films I've bought as UHD BD disc last year and as someone who watches 5 movies a weak I also say i's the best film of 2023. However, if Dune 2 was at this year's Oscars, Dune 2 would have got the Oscars. Oppenheimer can be happy that Dune was postponed.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat gratified and a bit amused that for decades I've proposed Christopher Walken should play Count Fenrig, and now instead he plays Fenrig's childhood friend, the Emperor. Funny enough, in his conversations with his daughter there is in my mind some of the vibe of the conversations Fenrig had with his wife. There was compassion, and empathy.

If they do a third Dune film it will I imagine incorporate a lot of Dune Messiah, which should mean that Face Dancers will be heavily featured. Looking forward to that! The SyFy channel production did a nice job with them, imo.

Watched Dune2.
Really is very good.

The main issue it has is omissions, several plot lines/scenes that I think would have helped things make more sense are missing. I really don't like the silly baloon-based Carry-alls.
But those are very minor complaints for how much they did get very right including a lot of plot points I didn't ever expect to be in.

Laurence of Arabia is still uncontested the best desert movie though.

If they do a third Dune film it will I imagine incorporate a lot of Dune Messiah, which should mean that Face Dancers will be heavily featured. Looking forward to that! The SyFy channel production did a nice job with them, imo.

They're being coy, the same as with Part 2, which was greenlit before the first film was out. Part 3 is all but a certainty. It'll essentially be Messiah, according to Villeneuve.

Tim Blake Nelson was cut from Part 2. I'd bet on him playing either Scytale or Edric in Part 3.

Watched Dune 2 and it was good.

Then watched the Pentagram and it really wasn't good.
Although IMDB score of under 3 did kind of suggest that.

Then finally saw the 12 angry men.
It's great.

Watched Dune 2 and it was good.

Then watched the Pentagram and it really wasn't good.
Although IMDB score of under 3 did kind of suggest that.

Then finally saw the 12 angry men.
It's great.
re 12 angry men, you watched the sidney lumet film from 1957? i love that movie its so minimalist and just so good and intense

speaking of minimalist movies, have you seen the movie locke from 2013 starring tom hardy? its basically him in a car on the phone going through stuff and having to make a big decision. i loved it
Yeah that's an excellent one, highly recommended.

speaking of minimalist movies, have you seen the movie locke from 2013 starring tom hardy? its basically him in a car on the phone going through stuff and having to make a big decision. i loved it

Yeah, it's a really good watch. If you like concrete I imagine it's the best film ever made.

His Welsh accent is apparently annoying if you're Welsh.

This video explains why the world in Dune feels more lifelike than in any other recent Hollywood films. In Dune there is cause and effect everywhere whereas in other films like Star Wars it doesn't matter if multiple planets with billions of civilians get destroyed. It is not dynamic and has no consequences, it does not matter.

Furthermore, the world is not permanently explained verbally in Dune. It feels as if you are visiting foreign cultures and don't understand many things while everyone around you takes it for granted. You have to put everything together yourself.

Last edited:
Nope.
Will watch if I find it someday.
Thanks for recommendation. :)

Watched old and new Roadhouse.
Old is superior in every way and was quite nice.

Also saw French Kiss for the first time.
A very nice movie and I can understand why it is one of the movies which some see repeatedly.
Great cast and chemistry, gorgeous views of France and it constantly moves forward and visits multiple locations.

Back