Movie Reviews 2.0

Tom Cruise is really pushing people to go to the theaters, apparently thanks the audience for coming out instead of waiting for home video.

No wonder, he is still a big box office star. He'd get paid whether his movies go through all the windows from theatrical to home video. But he gets paid more the more windows there are and theatrical used to be one of the biggest window for revenues.

Part of the reason the actors are striking is that all this money is coming into Hollywood from streamers but the distribution is very uneven. It just increases the inequality between stars and working actors. Amazon, Netflix, Apple, etc. will pay big money for shows or movies with big stars. I don't know how much say they have in how the studios divy up the money but they will pay more for vehicles with big stars.

As far as poor box office, I don't know, maybe people have had their fill of superhero and big action movies. Or people aren't fully going back to theaters, either because of health concerns or maybe all the streaming they did during the pandemic, they prefer that way of viewing rather than going to the movies. The tickets are now over $20 or something like that? Then you always had overpriced popcorn and drinks.

When the pandemic started, a lot of people expressed the thought, good riddance if theaters go out of business. Some people probably didn't like being gouged.

For the price of one movie ticket, you can have a month of streaming and watching dozens of hours.

Now if people want to go for social reasons, that's one thing, but it's not necessarily a better experience or better enough for people to shell out that money.

But it's not just superhero movies that are flopping. Pixar has put out some real box office duds recently.

Also as far as streaming goes, a company like Disney is hyping Disney+ to investors as a huge money maker while they tell the actual truth to the writers and actors (they are losing a lot of money) and use that truth as leverage in contract negotiations. So they either lie or tell the truth depending on what benefits them. It's a fascinating dynamic going on there.

Aside from all that I think a major problem is the budgets are out of control. The Flash would have been profitable if it had cost only $100m. And would it really have been that much worse? Also these enormous budgets lead to an endless cascade of remakes and sequels because nobody wants to experiment with so much money.

P.S. among other things Ezra Miller choked out some woman on camera in Iceland. A real class act.

Last edited:
but it's not necessarily a better experience or better enough for people to shell out that money.

I think this is basically it.

My wife and I went to see a movie (a shit movie, but we didn't care), decided to be no-fucks-given we'll have the good chairs and popcorn and some beer. 70 GBP.

That's not an i-MAX, it's not even that good of a cinema. We didn't have three kids tagging along demanding this, that and the other. We could have an excellent meal for that.

Do the kids really care if they watch Little Mermaid at the cinema, or streamed on the TV with their friends on the sofa and a whole pile of snacks that mum & dad can pick up for $20? No.

Is Indiana Jones And The Milking Of The Franchise Five worth 70 GBP? No. Likewise The Flash.

Avatar? Yeah. Top Gun? Yeah. Dune II? Yeah. Big screen needs big screen. Most other things not so much.

(Oh yeah, Oppenheimer, that I would like to see in a decent cinema).

Last edited:
By the time it goes through all the windows, it will probably make a little money, especially with Hollywood accounting.

Several people will walk away with millions from this movie, but it's probably not going to be as much as they imagined.

Would they make another sequel?

What's up with these big movies losing so much money? The Flash and Indiana Jones stand to lose a combined $500m or more. I don't understand how even a company like Disney can absorb those kinds of losses. Even The Little Mermaid which should be automatic money is uncertain if it will break even. Hell even the animated movies are losing money at this point. I don't understand Hollywood accounting :unsure:

On the other hand some stuff like Avatar and Top Gun absolutely kill at the box office, so I don't buy the streaming/covid arguments that I've seen from the studios.

Flash and Indy are not going great but the issue is that they had crazy production and marketing budget.
Indy needed Avatar level attendance to make the big bucks.

Wasn't it reported just last week that the new Indy is now breaking even?
Not even close. If you're going by some silly reporting comparing apparent cost to box office, it's not taking into account that the studio doesn't get 100% of box office, it's about 50% domestic and 40% international. Taking into account marketing as well, movies need to return 2.5-3x box office to be profitable, with Indy likely being a lot more than that.

There are only 3 Indiana Jones movies.

I was never really into superhero stuff, certainly not gonna watch movies about some Super-Termite or Ultra-Seagul superhero I've never heard of, maybe I watch Batman or Superman but only if I'm desperate to watch something and can't think of anything else to watch but wouldn't go to a theatre for it & I've got a muhassive todo list of stuff I'd rather watch already.

I did go see Avatar & will go see Dune pt2 for sure, I think there was one other coming this year but ehh thats about all for this year.

I thought Avatar 2 was as dull as the first one. Pretty, yes, but dreadfully formulaic and I found it pretty tedious, truth be told. Didn't watch it at a cinema and definitely won't be watching the next one there, either, though I'll probably watch it when it's on TV.

On the other hand, I thought Dune was very well done. I'd certainly watch it at the cinema if I had the chance, but I won't. I've got young kids, so trips out for myself and my wife are few and far between and she wasn't interested enough to even watch the first movie on TV. I'll wait until the second one is on TV myself.

Not even close. If you're going by some silly reporting comparing apparent cost to box office, it's not taking into account that the studio doesn't get 100% of box office, it's about 50% domestic and 40% international. Taking into account marketing as well, movies need to return 2.5-3x box office to be profitable, with Indy likely being a lot more than that.
I read that after the first couple/few weeks the theatre's start getting a much bigger cut of ticket sales. At release I think the studio gets most of the money. So basically if a movie doesn't even match its production budget in ticket sales after a few weeks, it's gonna lose money for the studio. Also if really big names are attached as actor/directors etc. those people may get a cut of the revenues rather than a cut of the profits. Seems like an poor deal for a studio to enter into but apparently they do it.

But by the time they go through theatrical, on demand, rental and then home video sales and home streaming windows, they usually make their money back or even turn a profit.

That is why they will keep making $200-300 million movies.

But by the time they go through theatrical, on demand, rental and then home video sales and home streaming windows, they usually make their money back or even turn a profit.

That is why they will keep making $200-300 million movies.

"home video sales"? Physical media is a very small niche these days, and home streaming does not seem to bring in a lot of money.

"home video sales"? Physical media is a very small niche these days, and home streaming does not seem to bring in a lot of money.
You can still buy downloads now.

There is still some content that isn’t on any streaming service at a given time bUt still available for like $15 or more or $2 an episode.

Saw The Flash. Yes it is as great as many are saying. So much to talk about!
Massively late to this, I saw The Flash yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. To be fair, I had low expectations and had no idea about the plot, but it was the best DC movie set in the outgoing 'universe' I've seen in ten years easily. Loved old Batman Michael Keaton kills it.

Is it great because the character and the actor who plays it is great?

Or because there are appearances by Batman and Superman?

That is, a movie about a C-list superhero features A-list superheroes too?
I have watched the movie today (you can buy it in Germany on iTunes, Amazon, Microsoft Store).

There is a lot of fan service in the movie. You should watch it alone, because there is always a guy, who says "did you get it? Eric Stolz?"

Both Barrys are sometimes too much Whedon's JL, but it's somekind an originstory, because you learn, how Barry got his powers. But the story isn't really new (not because of the Flashpoint).

It's a good movie, even if DCEU is dead, you can watch it.

Last edited:
Gotta agree. Not a great movie due to plot inconsistencies, the scandals surrounding it, and some seriously embarrassing CGI but I enjoyed it for what it was without thinking too much and laughed a lot at the humor.

The OKGO end credit tune CGI scene was terribly rendered, but I laughed all the same. :)

Barbie.

Well. I was not expecting that. Serious message, without taking itself too seriously. Hopefully the cast had a blast making it. Some cameos and cast from Sex Education. Fucking ridiculous but still made me cry.

Obviously Helen Mirren steals the show as Narrator Girl. Because Helen Mirren.

Next up: Oppenheimer. Because plastic dolls and nuclear weapons are kind of the same, right?

Back