Movie Reviews 2.0

So across the Spiderverse then... It's a fantastic watch, worthy sequel and an outstanding piece of animation. The next film's now my most anticipated movie of next year.

I'm waiting for it to come to appletv.

I watched the 1st one on the theater and TV, and the quality is much better on TV.

Seems animations (cgi and anime) simply looks better on TV. Maybe due to the low contrast ratio and resolution of movie theater (have not tried imax, no imax in my place)

I'd strongly recommend seeing it on the big screen, unless your local fleapit is really poor. TV might be crisper, but the vistas and movement really pop at the cinema.

Tv not just crisper but better color, contrast, hdr too.

As for movements, the first one with dejudder at 1 looks like in movie theater. But with motion interpolation at max, it looks much better than movie theater.

The only downside is interpolation artefacts.

Solved by running it thru SVP, and telling it to just interpolate camera movements

Tv not just crisper but better color, contrast, hdr too.

As for movements, the first one with dejudder at 1 looks like in movie theater. But with motion interpolation at max, it looks much better than movie theater.

It sounds like you don't have a good local cinema.

Anyway, the intent of the filmmakers is that Spiderman should look quite juddery, so maybe you should try it once in its intended state before you start modifying the movie?

It sounds like you don't have a good local cinema.

Anyway, the intent of the filmmakers is that Spiderman should look quite juddery, so maybe you should try it once in its intended state before you start modifying the movie?
I've already said that I've watched the 1st Spider verse animation in the movie theater and TV.

So obviously I can't adjust the motion interpolation in the movie theater 🤣

Btw if you watched the interviews, the filmmaker deliberately intended for the camera movements to NOT be juddery.

That's why they use different framerates for the camera movements and the characters animation.

Oh and I think a few pages back I've provided examples (lord of the rings or the hobbit) of motion interpolating camera movements but keeping the characters juddery.

Anyway, on TV, I've watched it with and without motion interpolation. It looks much better with motion interpolation due to the many many many camera movements in spider verse.

Its the curse of using LG OLED TV. without motion interpolation, 24fps just simply too juddery.

Dejudder at 1 making LG OLED looks like movie theater in term of motion smoothness.

Just watched the matrix 1 first 15 minutes.

Truly amazing audio, and made me realize my audio is delayed for like 50ms.

Now I need to hunt down the cause 🤣

Your video needs to go through your audio bar, and audio bar to TV.

You are likely going to TV to audio bar and trying to run dolby atmos or something like that. If you go in that direction you'll get audio delay through windows or consoles. Blu Ray players don't suffer from this though I don't think.

when i last watched matrix 1 i couldnt unhear the terrible gun sound effects, especially in the beginning

If the filmmakers did not want juddery camera movement they could have made that 48 or 60 fps.

Unfortunately, The interviewer didn't ask them why they didn't move to higher frame rate.

Your video needs to go through your audio bar, and audio bar to TV.

You are likely going to TV to audio bar and trying to run dolby atmos or something like that. If you go in that direction you'll get audio delay through windows or consoles. Blu Ray players don't suffer from this though I don't think.

I funneled Dolby digital, its natively supported by my TV and avr. Media played thru native tv app.

PC didn't have any delay, I directly wired it via displayport to hdmi avr.

Xbox does have delay, like 100ms. Because I funneled Xbox to TV to avr. It doesn't have a delay if I directly connect Xbox to avr but then I lost vrr, etc

when i last watched matrix 1 i couldnt unhear the terrible gun sound effects, especially in the beginning

I never know how guns really sounds so as long as it give me good positional audio and enough whack to shake my seat, it's good for me hahaha.

Last edited:
Is it great because the character and the actor who plays it is great?

Or because there are appearances by Batman and Superman?

That is, a movie about a C-list superhero features A-list superheroes too?

Is it great because the character and the actor who plays it is great?

Or because there are appearances by Batman and Superman?

That is, a movie about a C-list superhero features A-list superheroes too?
It’s very well written, which doesn’t happen often for DC, it’s also very funny, and not in a fake way. Ezra Miller is very funny in this and just great as the character, and of course the references to old DC movies is great but also very well written. It would be easy to make this a cringe fest with shit writing, but here everything was very well handled.

Watched Sharknado.
Genuinely one of the very worst movies I've seen, its not even laughably bad, just terrible.

i know a guy who loves sharknado, apparently unironically
he has terrible taste, we secretly use his taste as a benchmark

Its not the premise thats bad it could have been a lot of campy fun, its just everything else: the CGI the plot the acting the camera framing the editing, its all awful & not in any kind of studied intentional awful that you get from some other stuff.
Anyone with vague interest in that meme of a movie: just watch the Pitch Meeting, its vastly more entertaining than the actual thing.

Back