Movie Reviews 2.0

Its not the premise thats bad it could have been a lot of campy fun, its just everything else: the CGI the plot the acting the camera framing the editing, its all awful & not in any kind of studied intentional awful that you get from some other stuff.
Anyone with vague interest in that meme of a movie: just watch the Pitch Meeting, its vastly more entertaining than the actual thing.
Really just comes down to bad writing. A bad idea written by a good writer people will enjoy the film. A good idea made by a bad writer will be bad.

It’s very well written, which doesn’t happen often for DC, it’s also very funny, and not in a fake way. Ezra Miller is very funny in this and just great as the character, and of course the references to old DC movies is great but also very well written. It would be easy to make this a cringe fest with shit writing, but here everything was very well handled.
I can mentally divorce characters from actors but it's going to be a challenge to watch The Flash without my brain constantly reminding me of all the batshit mental things Ezra Miller has done over the past few years.

Its not the premise thats bad it could have been a lot of campy fun, its just everything else: the CGI the plot the acting the camera framing the editing, its all awful & not in any kind of studied intentional awful that you get from some other stuff.
Anyone with vague interest in that meme of a movie: just watch the Pitch Meeting, its vastly more entertaining than the actual thing.
What, you are telling us Sharknado was bad?

I'm worried one of these days we will learn Monty Python and the Holy Grail was not a serious movie.

What, you are telling us Sharknado was bad?
I know it got fame as a bad movie, which is why I watched it.
I was expecting there to be self-deprecating humor, 'could have been better with a bigger budget' or studied bad-thats-actually-good, something to deserve a bit of cult status 🤷‍♂️

Watched Sharknado.
Genuinely one of the very worst movies I've seen, its not even laughably bad, just terrible.

I almost want to watch it just to see if it would be even half as bad as the worst movie I've ever seen.

Blood Hook.

Yup, you heard that right, a Horror movie about being killed by a giant fishing hook. :D

Regards,
SB

I can mentally divorce characters from actors but it's going to be a challenge to watch The Flash without my brain constantly reminding me of all the batshit mental things Ezra Miller has done over the past few years.
I didn't really think about it even once, also cause i'm a bit hazy on the details. Crazy actor shenanigans isn't new, so I guess I can mentally remove myself from the drama! :geek:

Well the movie bombed or fell really short of their box office hopes.

So it will be available for home streaming at some point.

Maybe the superhero cycle is done for awhile.

Superhero movies still attract the best talent because of the money they make.

So they're certainly worth watching at some point, whether they're blockbusters or not.

Superhero movies still attract the best talent because of the money they make.

So they're certainly worth watching at some point, whether they're blockbusters or not.
Michael Jordan was an exceptional talent in basketball.

Are his minor league baseball games worth watching?

Yeah shame but the whole DC universe is just doomed, no idea how they'll ever make a real hit again. Then again the MCU seems to be falling off a cliff too.

They have Gunn at the helm, so there is some hope.

Michael Jordan was an exceptional talent in basketball.

Are his minor league baseball games worth watching?
But the analogy breaks down when you see directors redefining the strictures of the superhero movie genre.

Whereas Jordan was just playing an inferior game, beneath his talents, many of the people who make these mega-budget movies are doing things they couldn't on their other projects.

Saw The Flash, thought it was excellent and actually quite emotional. I also liked the meta-commentary about multiverses and how it has basically gone to far :)

I know it got fame as a bad movie, which is why I watched it.
I was expecting there to be self-deprecating humor, 'could have been better with a bigger budget' or studied bad-thats-actually-good, something to deserve a bit of cult status🤷‍♂️
Watching Star Crash again I remembered this post of yours. I suggest you try it, it's breathtaking. On Amazon Prime, as all the best turds are.

What's up with these big movies losing so much money? The Flash and Indiana Jones stand to lose a combined $500m or more. I don't understand how even a company like Disney can absorb those kinds of losses. Even The Little Mermaid which should be automatic money is uncertain if it will break even. Hell even the animated movies are losing money at this point. I don't understand Hollywood accounting :unsure:

On the other hand some stuff like Avatar and Top Gun absolutely kill at the box office, so I don't buy the streaming/covid arguments that I've seen from the studios.

To be honest, I was amazed when I heard they were doing another Indiana Jones film. I thought the last one had killed the series off, dead. I think we've already had the discussion about that one.

The Flash has passed under my radar. I'll watch it on a streaming service, but wouldn't have bothered to go to the cinema to see it whether it was good or bad. Not exactly sure what Ezra Miller was accused of but I know the insinuation was that he was a very sketchy sort of a character. I'd imagine that might have had some impact. Mostly, people probably just aren't that bothered about the DC-verse.

On a similar note, I got around to watching Black Adam. Well, I say I watched it, but I nodded off after about an hour and woke up during the climactic fight scene. I've since half rewatched the bits I slept through and can't really remember anything of interest happening. Very much a 'Meh' film, just like most of the DC stuff.

Back