Motorstorm screens

Wouldn't the angle of these shots suggest they are from in game cinematics vs. gameplay? Not to say the improvement is not possible given the history of rapid improvement with this game. (or possibly from a replay mode)
They might be, but there's certainly nothing stopping one from choosing to use a cinematic camera to take snapshots that are more appealing than "here's the track around my vehicle which is always going to be down there in lower-center." They are promotional shots, after all. ;)

People have seen enough live footage at this point to be able to compare, but I'm not that interested, as I already know how it looks in motion. That being the selling point. ;)

As to the mud spraying, I figure that for promotional shots where they're trying to show you a stream of vehicles from to "just above the track" level, clean car shots, and such, they're likely turning it down or off to not clutter up the screenshot. You can see it in some of the pics, but the effect is minimal. But we've already seen it in live-running footage, so...

On that note, I'm more interested in knowing if mud splashback will affect your camera, spot up or smear your vision, etc. The prospect of driving in first-person on a constantly fluctuating track which throws mud in your face that you can wipe away but leaves smearing on your visor and constantly affects your vision would be quite appealing, I think. ^_^

They might be, but there's certainly nothing stopping one from choosing to use a cinematic camera to take snapshots that are more appealing than "here's the track around my vehicle which is always going to be down there in lower-center." They are promotional shots, after all. ;)

That's certainly a possibility. Also, I don't mean to suggest that there would be anything wrong with the shots whether they were in-game cinematics, or videos or what have you. I only wanted it considered that these shots look a good bit better than what's been seen in gameplay shots and vids and that they may be from modes players don't get to play OR yet again there has been another big improvement in the game's visuals. Whichever the case I would like to explore both possibilities...admittedly the latter is much more interesting to me.

On that note, I'm more interested in knowing if mud splashback will affect your camera, spot up or smear your vision, etc. The prospect of driving in first-person on a constantly fluctuating track which throws mud in your face that you can wipe away but leaves smearing on your visor and constantly affects your vision would be quite appealing, I think. ^_^

I think this seems to be case already as I've seen mud-splatter on the camera even in the 3rd person view. I've yet to see a first person view from behind a windshield...this is where I think the effect would be most pronounced and extremely satisfying to see. I've always had faith that the mud splatter could be accomplished on Cell as a post-process or procedural alphas passed to RSX. We'll see in the end though. Oh...I'm not sure I want a persistent "visor" on the screen....but a windshield with wiper blades like in the original trailer would be pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest concern is, we're still only seeing the desert. That PSM3 PS3 video footage malarky had a disk of a Motorstorm demo called Rainstorm or something. It'd be nice to see some other environments.

And yeah, the mud does seem a dirt rare, but maybe that's because all we're seeing are rather dry desert scenes?

I would hope it would as rallisport Challenge 2 did it last gen and it was an excellent feature. (RSC2 was a graphical showcase of last gen BTW :smile:)

Oh...I'm not sure I want a persistent "visor" on the screen....but a windshield with wiper blades like in the original trailer would be pretty cool
I didn't mean "visor" in the literal sense, but just in the way I was thinking about it. (Since we are dealing with open-top jeeps and helmeted motorcyclists, among other things.) Your "visor" would obviously just be the camera point, but it's not like you'd get mud streaking on your eyeballs. ;) If your vehicle doesn't have a windshield, you'd obviously be wearing a helmet and visor, and both could reflect the same kind of vision effects.

Meanwhile, I never played RalliSport Challenge 2, but may give it a look-see rental at some point. At some point before March, if I have the spare cash to make the PS3 plunge. ;) Gotta get in some Motorstorm prep time, after all.

Meanwhile, I never played RalliSport Challenge 2, but may give it a look-see rental at some point. At some point before March, if I have the spare cash to make the PS3 plunge. ;) Gotta get in some Motorstorm prep time, after all.

It was impressive, i really like the snow levels, good atmosphere..

The loading times kind a sucked though...

My biggest concern is, we're still only seeing the desert.

All of the tracks are located in Monument Valley, although within one valley you can have a variety of terrain..

In the Edge preview they had a small little show of one very cool looking track that looked to be very high in altitude - the track was raised above, looking down at clouds in the valley beneath. It looked very sweet. Another one looked very wet.

I didn't mean "visor" in the literal sense, but just in the way I was thinking about it. (Since we are dealing with open-top jeeps and helmeted motorcyclists, among other things.) Your "visor" would obviously just be the camera point, but it's not like you'd get mud streaking on your eyeballs. ;) If your vehicle doesn't have a windshield, you'd obviously be wearing a helmet and visor, and both could reflect the same kind of vision effects.

Nothing like mud in your eyes...trust me I get you now of course, but would you really want an arm and hand popping up to wipe mud off your "visor/goggles/etc" in game and occluding your view of the track while that was going on? Say, if you were behind a big truck that arm would be guaranteed to never come down or pop up repeatedly as long as you were behind it. That would be a pretty big distraction while you're trying to navigate the course and track vehicles all around you trying to take you out. Could add some strategy but I think frustration would be a given.

Great HDR lighting, great graphics all around.
These are my best pics.
motorusbis6.jpg

motorusbis7.jpg

This to me looks obviously better than the other rally game coming out from Sega next year.

I only wanted it considered that these shots look a good bit better than what's been seen in gameplay shots and vids...

I think the recent 720p vids on IGN are a good indication these are in-engine screen shots. Granted cinematic (or replay) angles are going to show off the graphics better than your standard behind the vehicle camera, and these are pretty small grabs to begin with.

Nothing like mud in your eyes...trust me I get you now of course, but would you really want an arm and hand popping up to wipe mud off your "visor/goggles/etc" in game and occluding your view of the track while that was going on? Say, if you were behind a big truck that arm would be guaranteed to never come down or pop up repeatedly as long as you were behind it. That would be a pretty big distraction while you're trying to navigate the course and track vehicles all around you trying to take you out. Could add some strategy but I think frustration would be a given.
Yes, I would. As an option, of course. Such things are not truly important, but add a lot of flavor and challenge levels. If that's the way a racer would do it on the course, it would kick ass to see it reflected in the game, too. ^_^

I wouldn't want them to put any big sacrifices on the OTHER 99% of the game, however. But it would be nice.

Just what is that in the top pic in the background...some kind of robot on tracks or something? hmmm...whatever it is is look "neat-o!"

Just what is that in the top pic in the background...some kind of robot on tracks or something? hmmm...whatever it is is look "neat-o!"

If you mean the circular things ( I can't see anything else ) it's probably tires off the buggy behind which has flipped over the rock.

If you mean the circular things ( I can't see anything else ) it's probably tires off the buggy behind which has flipped over the rock.

There's "something" beneath that tire to the left...but you could say my vision is fairly impaired right now :)

Back