MotoGp 2006 Screens - XBOX 360

mckmas8808 said:
I think it will happen next-gen. Look at PGR3. For heaven sakes it's a launch game and it looks close to that MotoGP3 pic.

PGR3 and X360 are this gen as of now, Xbox and PS2 are yestarday! :)

Some new ones up today (at least i think some of these are new):
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1329/MotoGP-Ultimate-Racing-Technology-2006/p1

Here's my fav:

1134994645.jpg

And the lighting on this one:

1134994792.jpg

AFAIK the developers have been using tesselated HOS since the first version of MotoGP...

Ok...but what about the backgrounds!?!

There’s no doubt the Bikes are hot looking.... :oops: :oops:

But it seems all the geometry, texturing, shading, ECT… are going into them (Bikes). The backgrounds look like total crap (i.e. first generation PS2 backgrounds). The stretch textures (dirt/grass mounds, tracks, ECT…) are awful and the foliage/buildings are also PS2-ish.

1134994793.jpg

So amazingly disappointed with the backgrounds/scenery. Ruins the whole thing for me...

Too many racing games have done this over the years - I know we're not supposed to be able to see the scenery when we're driving at ridiculous speeds hunting down the guy in front, but I do think it makes a *big* difference when they do it properly.

Oh well.
Jack

JHoxley said:
So amazingly disappointed with the backgrounds/scenery. Ruins the whole thing for me...

Too many racing games have done this over the years - I know we're not supposed to be able to see the scenery when we're driving at ridiculous speeds hunting down the guy in front, but I do think it makes a *big* difference when they do it properly.

Oh well.
Jack
I disagree. In a game like PGR3 they spent a ridiculous amount of effort modelling every city down to every last detail, however what do I see whn I play the game? Just a big blur.

Meanwhile the shimmering of the fences, and the aliasing of the cars totally ruins the GFX for me. I think racing games should dedicate most of the power to the road, the racers on it, and any scenery in the foreground like barricades, fences, spectators etc. You simply don't have time to look around in racing games, and while it looks greats in screenshots it's lost in the game as you play.

There's a balance there, and I think PGR for example went to much towards scenery, and not enough towards car quality. I'd say MotoGP is much more wehere I like it with the focus mainly on the bikes/riders, although it definately could use a little touch up on the backgrounds.

I think all PGR3 needed was better lighting. It's all in the lighting for racing games with me. Thats why gran turismo looks so amazing even on last gen hardware. Hell even RR on the psp looked amazing at times during replays due to the lighting.

Laa-Yosh said:
AFAIK the developers have been using tesselated HOS since the first version of MotoGP...

Presumably, they are using Xenos' tesselation... thing to speed it up?

Bad_Boy said:
I think all PGR3 needed was better lighting. It's all in the lighting for racing games with me. Thats why gran turismo looks so amazing even on last gen hardware. Hell even RR on the psp looked amazing at times during replays due to the lighting.

Yeah the lighting to me is going to seperate a lot of good games from superior looking games. Polyphony hit it last gen with their lighting system.

scooby_dooby said:
I disagree. In a game like PGR3 they spent a ridiculous amount of effort modelling every city down to every last detail, however what do I see whn I play the game? Just a big blur.
Yup, I agree there is a balance to be had...

But quite simply allocating 90% of the budget to the racers and 10% to the scenery looks rubbish. Having some shoddy scenery defies realism - it ruins the amazing vehicles. Maybe something like 70% for the racers and 30% for the scenery would be a better bet.

Remember that there are a number of views for racing games - you can get the "chase cam" where you can see a lot of scenery (where it shows off how shit it is) to the "bumper cam" where you can see not a lot beyond tarmac and cars (where scenery doesn't matter). Then you've got to factor in the replay and spectator modes...

My hard earned $/£/€ goes to the one that gets it right - I don't want CG-like cars racing in cartoon land.

Jack

JHoxley said:
Yup, I agree there is a balance to be had...

But quite simply allocating 90% of the budget to the racers and 10% to the scenery looks rubbish. Having some shoddy scenery defies realism - it ruins the amazing vehicles. Maybe something like 70% for the racers and 30% for the scenery would be a better bet.

Remember that there are a number of views for racing games - you can get the "chase cam" where you can see a lot of scenery (where it shows off how shit it is) to the "bumper cam" where you can see not a lot beyond tarmac and cars (where scenery doesn't matter). Then you've got to factor in the replay and spectator modes...

My hard earned $/£/€ goes to the one that gets it right - I don't want CG-like cars racing in cartoon land.

Jack

Download the latest trailer and youll see quite a few more tracks where theres plenty more scenery than what we've seen in these shots. From what i saw of the video i think the scenery is in pretty good balance with everythign else, these shots dont do the real backgrounds justice.

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2403_en.html

Wow the video looks really good. I've never been a fan of the controls though. The anodized aluminum wheels look really good.

Geometry limitation

scooby_dooby said:

Meanwhile the shimmering of the fences, and the aliasing of the cars totally ruins the GFX for me. I think racing games should dedicate most of the power to the road, the racers on it, and any scenery in the foreground like barricades, fences, spectators etc. You simply don't have time to look around in racing games, and while it looks greats in screenshots it's lost in the game as you play.

There's a balance there, and I think PGR for example went to much towards scenery, and not enough towards car quality. I'd say MotoGP is much more wehere I like it with the focus mainly on the bikes/riders, although it definately could use a little touch up on the backgrounds.

For my taste PGR3 has good cars (sometimes too edges noticable, some times very smooth), very nice high resolution reflections (best feature) and lighting on cars, and not so bad backgrounds but also not so great. Trees are really bad in some streets.

MotoGP2006 has too much LOD and not so great backgrounds, also clipping issue for bike rider hands in replay shot and not so great shadow, also missing specular highlights. But when looking very close all graphics for all games have many problems.

Only 2 bikes have front wheel forks:
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2420/664_0016.jpg

It is maybe PS4 and Xbox720 for graphics without obvious geometry limitation.

Serenity Painted Death said:
I want graphics that have the fidelity of "real life" yet do not try to imitate it so exactly. I suppose a sufficient analogy would to be stylized movies like Sin City.

Killzone would never be mistaken for "real life" and those graphics appeal to me 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x more than those MotoGP graphics (and yes I'm aware that the game won't look like that, I'm just illustrating).

We should be striving for photorealism-capability in our technology so that artists may have the option of going as little or as far as they wish with it. Stylized games is what we've only been exposed to now since.. pong. Aside from animation, film has been limited (in varying degrees) by technology to showing only reality. But we now can do movies that could never have been done properly a long time ago, and likewise, it'll be nice to see some games in the future that could never have been done properly in the past.

Serenity Painted Death said:
Killzone would never be mistaken for "real life" and those graphics appeal to me 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x more than those MotoGP graphics (and yes I'm aware that the game won't look like that, I'm just illustrating).

My god, you have NOT seen killzone 2's graphics yet.

Back