XBox 360 Emulators for the PC

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Cyan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

#1 Cyan, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Now we just need a PSNow port!

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Well, I'd gladly pirate my Xbox One in order to use something like that, even if it meant I'd have to buy another one down the line. I still dig some of my old games and systems.

I wonder why something as apparently simple as creating an original Xbox emulator hasn't been realised yet. It was just a PC, for the most part.

4. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Good write-up here:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48088464&postcount=26

Basically: lack of documentation, not really being off-the-shelf GPU adds to the problem (hybrid NV20/NV25). I do recall Wavey mentioning that it had one or two things that were precursor to the NV3x. Long time ago :oops:

Man would I love to have some of those exclusives in HD now... (MechAssault, Kingdom Under Fire, Otogi)

5. Davros

Legend

I played a level of the original halo on one.
    although i have no idea how good it is

6. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Rallisport Challenge 2
    Rallisport Challenge 2
    Rallisport Challenge 2!!!

It's the reason I will always have an Xbox in storage taking up roughly 1/3 of my living space.

7. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Certainly worth keeping an eye on although a little early to get excited just yet.

8. Exophase

Veteran

Debugging emulation this slow must be excruciating. I found considerably faster to still be unbearable. It's impressive that it got this far under these conditions.

9. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

As AlNets said, the NV25 was a custom part and I seem to remember there was some issue with Nvidia actually releasing documentation even to MS. I think it was a similar situation to where they are now with their linux support.

10. Gitaroo

Veteran

yeah, Otogi 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio Future,need HD re release treatment.

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I can't imagine an Xbox 360 emulator is going to run the 360's software-based Xbox emulator within itself at a usable rate until we have PCs that are incredibly faster than today's. We can barely "emulate" Gamecube and PS2 at full speed...

NV2A, you mean. ;) I think it's something in between NV20 and NV25 when it comes to features. But since they weren't limited to PC D3D, games did things beyond even D3D 8.1.

12. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

i dont know about you but i can get very high frame rates (100+) with very high rez + AA on both PCSX2 and dolphin on current hardware. I haven't tried a target of 720P with no AA etc and both dolphin and PCSX2 have limited multicore support.

it will be interesting to see how well they can thread it. also how close is AVX to the 360's vector/simd units?

13. swaaye

Legend

In my experience with Dolphin and PCSX2, game speed varies greatly from game to game. Have you played F-Zero GX? There's a heat haze effect on some tracks that I specifically remember reducing game speed to a crawl on my 4.3 GHz 2500k and Radeon 6950. There is some interaction between Cube's CPU and GPU with that effect and it can't be emulated with good performance on PC IIRC.

Dolphin and PCSX2 have about 10 years of development effort behind them and they are still troublesome. Assuming Xenia goes anywhere, I figure it will be years before it's fairly complete, and by then hardware will be 10x faster.

14. Pixel

Regular

On another forum someone wrote that because the emulator is a recompiler it would require a cpu with less than 10x the power of the xenon cpu to emulate many games at playable frame rates.
    Emulating the GPU is straghtforward enough and current pc gpus are more than powerful enough.

http://www.noxa.org/blog/category/projects/xenia/

#14 Pixel, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  15. swaaye

Legend

All of the popular console emulators are using dynamic recompilation for the CPU portion.

"Cons

Incredibly hard to write" :)

16. Pixel

Regular

Thanks

The author wrote this on his blog,

http://www.noxa.org/blog/category/projects/xenia/

17. Exophase

Veteran

Most emulators with dynamic recompilation are doing something in between what he calls JIT and what he calls recompilation. No one that I know of is doing any kind of whole program analysis, and ahead of time recompilation is limited to what can be resolved by following direct branches.

That said, some emulator recompilers do at least do analysis that goes beyond translated blocks, and definitely beyond basic blocks.

The important thing to remember is that these comparisons only take into consideration emulating the CPU.

18. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

But emulating the CPU is obviously the biggest hurdle since it involves going from one architecture to another and the Xenon still has comparable theoretical GFLOPS performance to many modern CPUs. As far as performance comes to mind, emulating the eDRAM could be an issue too if whoever isn't using a top end graphics card with oodles of bandwidth. But in a few years we may have stacked DRAM on APUs with that kind of bandwidth too, so yes, the number of host targets will only increase.

19. swaaye

Legend

If previous consoles emulators are anything to go by, the custom GPU and the ability to use it however desired, and any fancy CPU/GPU interaction will be huge hurdles as well. I wonder what this will look like in 10 years....

360 emulation isn't being explored by MS at all is it?

20. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

If DX12 is very similar or even identical across PC and XB1 then wouldn't that have the potential to make XB1 emulation on the PC very easy? Perhaps even easier than the 360? Especially when you consider the win8 basis of it's OS, x86 CPU and the GCN1.1 GPU.