Motion sickness with FPS

TrungGap

Regular
I have been playing CoD:WaW. And having a really difficult time with motion sickness. I'm seriously considering quitting that game because of it. I don't have that problem in Halo and the majority of FPS. I'm not really sure what's with CoD:WaW. Anyone else have a problem with WaW?

LOL, nope...and not German neither. ;)

Lol, unintended humour, I was actually referring to the fact that many Japanese gamers dislike FPS because they get motion sickness. But your interpretation was much better.

Do you have problems with COD2/3/4 as well? I know COD4 has quite twitchy aiming which may be a problem, but if you have no problems with Halo 3, it shouldn't make such a big difference that you are considering stopping playing the game.

However you might try lowering your look sensitivity that might help. What kind of TV are you using btw? Is it the same you use to play H3 on?

That's strange, I would have though CoD would be the last game to experience motion sickness due to it running extremely smooth at 60 fps. I have more problems with games that run at half the framerate and have some input lag...

Not tried that one, the only game I know that gave me Motion Sickness is Fallout 3.
Makes the game barely playable, only disabling v-sync helped, but even then it wasn't good. :(

Drag. I had my first motion sickness with killzone2 yesterday. I'm trying to figure out what it is. I started to feel dizzy and then I felt queezy.

Maybe the blur when turning "quick" or maybe the way I was herky jerky aiming. I'm not sure, but if I felt that way playing every fps, I'd probably be a much more productive person ;)

Not tried that one, the only game I know that gave me Motion Sickness is Fallout 3.:(
Pah! From the image gallery, you have your feet firmly on the ground. In descent you have full 6 degrees of freedom, and if you aren't "vectoring", i.e, flying diagonally with rear and side thrusters on, down the "roller-coaster-like" tunnels, you will not last long against the likes of "Spleen" and "Nobby" :devilish:

Not Japanese but all FPS games make me sick.

Both physically and intellectually :D

What a lost generation that FPS games are the best-sellers.

Hope games like God of War changes that somewhat.

Worst motion sickness I had with FPS games was with Halflife 2. An excellent game at the time but wasn't able to play it for long periods. I felt really sorry. I gave myself long intervals of resting between play times but insisted on playing. After some time it went away.

Both physically and intellectually

What a lost generation that FPS games are the best-sellers.

Not all FPS' are shallow. Some break the mold, but yes I agree that the vast majority follow the brain dead formula that unfortunately sells very well.

I get no motion sickness from CoD games (60fps) but I absolutely get motion sickness with Far cry (it has a lot of immersive motions) Fallout in 1st person as well as ANY corridor shooter

Interestingly, I do NOT get it in the MP portions of any of these games, only single player. I am not sure if it is because my eye's focus on the screen in SP games is different or because of the way the SP game renders but it is an identifiable distinction for me.

i will note that by nature, I have pressure in my ear canals due to allergies so that may be a factor as well.

Pah! From the image gallery, you have your feet firmly on the ground. In descent you have full 6 degrees of freedom, and if you aren't "vectoring", i.e, flying diagonally with rear and side thrusters on, down the "roller-coaster-like" tunnels, you will not last long against the likes of "Spleen" and "Nobby" :devilish:

I was often lost in Descent (which I liked a lot), but I never experienced motion sickness.
I think it's connected to input lag.

I was often lost in Descent (which I liked a lot), but I never experienced motion sickness.
I think it's connected to input lag.

You could be right about the input lag. I was watching my friend play an fps recently, can't remember which, and I actually started to get queezy. He was turning around frantically and not knowing which way he was going to go it became a bit of a roller coaster ride. Maybe a slight input lag is enough to disconnect you from the expected movement and trigger the same kind of motion sickness. I'd never had motion sickness from playing an fps and I've played A LOT of fps games since the Wolf3D era.

The only game I've gotten motion sickness from was HL2 when it first came out for the PC. I wasn't the only one. Turns out it was a FOV issues and could be fixed by a console command. The first time I was very close to puking and I don't get motion sickness from boats/cars/rides just good ole HL2.

The only game I've gotten motion sickness from was HL2 when it first came out for the PC. I wasn't the only one. Turns out it was a FOV issues and could be fixed by a console command. The first time I was very close to puking and I don't get motion sickness from boats/cars/rides just good ole HL2.

I've never felt that sick playing an fps. Is the FOV too narrow?

The FOV in Killzone2 seems a little restricted and it has those fading blurred edges ... Maybe that's why I started feeling a bit queezy?

Back