Motion sickness with FPS

Dead Space made me fell motion sick. The narrow FOV which made it look like you had zoomed in the image, solid 60fps and motionblur was to much for me.

Dead Space wasn't 60fps, and was 3rd person.

The OP still hasn't told us what set he is using, and whether it's the same one he uses to play other FPS that don't make him sick.

Dead Space wasn't 60fps, and was 3rd person.

The OP still hasn't told us what set he is using, and whether it's the same one he uses to play other FPS that don't make him sick.

60fps on a PC and there is no framerate cap option unless I missed it. And the camera is close to the back with narrow FOV.

Dead Space made me fell motion sick. The narrow FOV which made it look like you had zoomed in the image, solid 60fps and motionblur was to much for me.

DS has framerate drops on console and the aiming feels stupid because it's near instantaneous without acceleratiion. There's not weight to the aiming at all.

I never get motion sickness from FPS games, but the FEAR 2 demo with its excessive headbob nearly changed that.

Speaking of framerate, I've been playing a lot of COD4 multiplayer lately. Then I went back to Halo 3. Holy crap! I've never been particularly susceptible to framerate variations (provided it doesn't dip too low), but man, what a huge difference!

I get motion sickness with your average speed camera 3D games moving. Be it FPS, racing, third person free roaming, etc. I can get them within 5-10 minutes in 30fps games. I first noticed it in Ultima Underworld, later Doom, Magic Carpet etc. Though I don't get it in the earlier games like Wing Commander, X-Wing (6 degree of freedom), Indy Car, Grand Prix, and all the Flight simulators or most Sega 3D arcade games like Virtua Racing or Daytona.

Some remedy I've tried ginger, motion sickness pills, well lit room, sit further, vinegar etc. None work.

I prefer game like the old REs or DMCs where camera works are cinematic. RE4 and RE5 forget it. The same with movie too. I can't watch that movie what was it called, Cloverfield? that used jerky FPS style camera. I read somewhere that in movie schools they actually tought the students what not to do with camera to avoid motion sickness. I wish games developers would do the same.

Some people just don't have the genes to play 3D video games. Even playing Marathon on XBLA didn't give me motion sickness.
Since the OP hasn't yet replied, this thread can't really go anywhere.

Marathon 2 for XBLA was another one notorious for churning stomachs. It was the FOV and head bob (not Head BOB) that were thought to be the cause.

Marathon 2 for XBLA was another one notorious for churning stomachs. It was the FOV and head bob (not Head BOB) that were thought to be the cause.

I brought it up in my post, the head bob didn't affect me though, (but was annoying).

Since the OP hasn't come back to this thread, I suppose it's just going to spiral offtopic.

Actually jerky and bad fps can make you feel very bad and can cause headaches. (Quite depend on your mood and more so with you gfx, gfx settings and pc config.)

I feel the same with Saint Row 2 Pc some weeks ago when I still had 7600GT. Otherwise I have no probs with motion sickness.

Cloverfield in this regard is really bad movie. Non stop jerkiness was very distracting, confusing and demand a heavy dose of concentration and focus just to watch it.

I had no problems with Cloverfield. Neither at the theater, or sitting 6 feet away from my 92" projection screen. I felt like they did a good job of suppressing the shakiness (I think they actually used steady cams), while maintaining the illusion that some guy was just holding a camcorder.

Motion sickness is very individual. I don't get it at all, not even in Real Life. I guess it's caused by the brain trying to manage contradicting signals and getting confused. "The world looks like it's moving, but my motion sensors are saying I'm still - something is very wrong here. What should I balance against?!" It probably varies from person to person. For some it'll be unnatural motions, others will find the effect of distorted perspective more off-putting, and some will be sensitive to lots of factors and find many games quite hard to play. It's probably also something impossible to design against, without maybe opening up a truck-load of settings for the player to toy with.

Do you have problems with COD2/3/4 as well? I know COD4 has quite twitchy aiming which may be a problem, but if you have no problems with Halo 3, it shouldn't make such a big difference that you are considering stopping playing the game.

However you might try lowering your look sensitivity that might help. What kind of TV are you using btw? Is it the same you use to play H3 on?

I have played CoD2/3/4, all of which I'm fine with...with prolong session I do feel it coming on. But with WaW, just a short session does it.

I'm playing on a 24" LCD monitor and a Sony 50" LCD TV, both cause the same problem. sigh...

Perhaps you could try playing Descent for a while and then a simple FPS will seem like a walk in the park :D

Now that's just an evil game. I remember once it was so bad, I wanted to hurl.

I never get motion sickness from FPS games, but the FEAR 2 demo with its excessive headbob nearly changed that.

I have a problem with FEAR 2, and the throbbing lights was a painful experience...

Maybe it's a combination of narrow FOV, bobbing head and corridor like environments? As for unstable frame rate causing motion sick; for me I don't think it's a major problem...I don't know maybe it needs to be a combination of a couple of issues to create an issue for me.

I have played CoD2/3/4, all of which I'm fine with...with prolong session I do feel it coming on. But with WaW, just a short session does it.

I'm playing on a 24" LCD monitor and a Sony 50" LCD TV, both cause the same problem. sigh...

Now that's just an evil game. I remember once it was so bad, I wanted to hurl.

I have a problem with FEAR 2, and the throbbing lights was a painful experience...

Maybe it's a combination of narrow FOV, bobbing head and corridor like environments? As for unstable frame rate causing motion sick; for me I don't think it's a major problem...I don't know maybe it needs to be a combination of a couple of issues to create an issue for me.

Since you don't have a problem with COD4 (assuming you used the same set).
I have no reason why COD5 should have such a different effect on you

Treyarch made very little changes to the gameplay, knowing full well what would happened if they 'fixed' what wasn't broke with IW's tried and tested view & controls.

So I don't really know what could cause the problem, they didn't add headbob or something did they?

You should try playing COD4 again after you play a session of COD5 and see if there really is a difference.

Back