More PSP pricing to attract attention.

CNN.com said:
"We saw pictures and a nice prototype at E3, but I want to see more," Bonnell said at a Piper Jaffrey consumer conference Wednesday. "Yeah, it's cool. It's nice, like a nice car. But we have no idea if the PSP's pricing is going to be $250, $350 or $500.
Bonnell later said he expects initial pricing on the PSP to be at the high end of the scale. "$500 to start would be my guess."

Bruno Bonnel is just doing what he do the best... BSing. :LOL:
Here's the summary
Bruno Bonnel said:
But we have no idea

500 euro would really kill off PSP IMHO, ok people with large pockets would probably buy it, but I don't think it's that easy to set aside 500 dollars like that. :/

That speculation like this starts is Sony's own fault by not giving any price (indications). The PSP is a very slick, hi-tech, high-performance design packed full of silicon and gadgets like optical disc, wifi, USB2 and a big widescreen LCD etc, of course people will assume it's going to be expensive.

launchprice in Belgium was = 540 euro tax included.
but 500euro for psp is way to expensive. if they plan to sell +3mil consoles....

hey69 said:
launchprice in Belgium was = 540 euro tax included.
but 500euro for psp is way to expensive. if they plan to sell +3mil consoles....

3M+ is a worldwide number.

yes i know, in the first year.. that's still alot if you have a 500$ portable console me thinks

Maybe Sony thinks that if Apple can sell iPods for $500 in the US, and probably way more in Japan and Europe, the PSP has more capabilities than the iPod.

But if Apple sold 800k iPods last quarter, most of them were the cheaper models (ranging in price from $250-$400). And notice that 800k units in 3 months is not nearly enough for Sony to meet it's target of 3 million units by the end of March 2005 (after a fall/winter intro in Japan and a "early 2005" intro in the US).

So $500 price point would not work economically.

From the article:

Keep in mind that [Sony Computer Entertainment president and CEO Ken] Kutaragi has maintained that they want to break even on the hardware.

Now that suprises me. Nintendo said they'd be breaking even on DS. So I thought Sony would be prepared to make a loss, at least at first.

Where does it actually say in that article that Sony will make a loss on hardware? Appart from the article title that is (geniune question, incase I missed a quote from Sony in there).

The only relivant comment I saw in there was from Kaz Hirai who just said PSP hardware would probably not make a profit early on. No specific mention of making a loss though.

"So if you are saying 'Day one, are you going to be profitable on the hardware?' then probably not," Hirai said.

I know Sony before said they don't want to take a bath on the hardware, but they're certainly not going to price them out of competition with it.

I agree with the quote above that one: It has not set a price for the unit, which will also play music and movies, though most in the industry expect a price in the range of $199 to $299 If costs initially make it more expensive than that, then they'll wait until component costs and redesigns can make it cheaper. As much as some PDA's and phones and MP3 plays and similar devices are purchased higher, they want this machine to be mass market and sell millions, and they'd never do that pricing through the stratosphere. Even the iPod hasn't yet sold 3 million total units and it's been out for 2 years and is a bit of a phenomenon.

Back