Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (VGleaks)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by onQ, Apr 10, 2013.

1. joker454

Veteran

I figure use Durango's optical drive for that. Put your 360 disc in Durango, it installs it to the 360 mini's hdd and plays the game form there, using the optical disc in Durango just to authenticate that you really own the game.

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

Unless they let you use your old 360. Depends how they're connected together and whether they can patch the Xbox 360 OS to support whatever features it would need.

I for one would not spend more than $0 on backwards compatibility.

3. Exophase

Veteran

This seems like a pretty good solution to the backwards compatibility problem, although $149 is a little high for what will be viewed as either a BC module or an Apple TV competitor. It sounds like it's supposed to work okay in standalone mode, even if only with downloaded content, so I wonder what its internal storage will be like.

Would be great if this unit can plug into Durango with no additional connections at all - power, video, and controls all going through the Durango to avoid all the extra cables (with limited ports to plug into) and controllers. Would be great if it could also access the Durango's storage; maybe Durango will expose itself as a USB mass storage device. Doing this all over a stackable expansion port would be nice.

4. SanGreal

Regular

I wonder what this means. Since it says update instead of upgrade, I suppose it could be anything

5. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

I'd bet big money - at least 10 English pounds - that this is a leak direct from MS PR.

The Kotaku story wasn't a misunderstanding - their source had a specific figure for timeout to occur and an definite description of what would occur following this specific timeout.

And they weren't the only folks saying this was MS's policy. This is a huge fucking backpedal followed by a carefully placed piece of damage control due to a massive, snowballing backlash.

Hurrah!

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Or gaming journalists, "insiders" and speculators got it wrong. Also, this is another set of rumours that really can't be verified until we have a launch event. This rumour itself could turn out to be completely wrong.

7. RudeCurve

Banned

Now if only they allowed some type of user installed storage like PS3 I could install all of my existing games on a huge hard drive of my own choosing.

That would be fantastic especially if MS allows users to install their own hard drives like SSD/Hybrid drives like PS3.

#27 RudeCurve, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  8. SanGreal

Regular

The article in the OP suggests (states, actually) the timeout was just a devkit thing due to the hardware being split up into multiple networked devices

#28 SanGreal, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  9. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Wow, not blocking used games, no online DRM crap, no mandatory online either.
    So many good news today, I couldn't be happier :grin:

10. jayco

Regular

Anything else would be a bad joke.

Anyway i'm curious to see how are they going to sell this console to the european and japanese:lol: public. Seems very NA oriented console, much more than their previous consoles.

11. babybumb

Regular

VGLeaks apart from specs stories (from superdae) is not very reliable. They posted fake info on next-gen only Assassins Creed and Sony developing FF seems very fishy

This add-on talk is straight from forum speculations and dosent look feasible

12. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I'm liking what I'm hearing here, but it could get even more expensive if you have to buy both the 360Mini & Durango. I'm still in the wait & see attitude right now. I think I might sell my existing 360 to get the 360Mini & then still buy Durango. Ingenious plan on Microsoft's part! LOL

Tommy McClain

13. RudeCurve

Banned

I hope they keep system link capability with this new 360Mini but I could see it being a problem since most if not all system link games require separate game discs per console.

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's a good idea. A very good idea IMO. It solves the issue of a limited interest BC module which has been discussed as a solution for BC in next-gen without adding to every SKU BOM by turning it into a general purpose STB. That idea would also fit in with Sony's shrinking Cell - they could create a PS STB that doubles as a BC box with PS4. A Lite console that shares components of the 'host' console seems like a great compromise in extending a platform into its final hardware phase at a budget price.

15. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

Agreed!

However this just makes too much sense, it is a smart strategy mostly outside of the thoughts we have seen. Add in a lack of panic from MS and that makes more sense even.

Maybe I just like rumors that are good for us... lol

16. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

True. I'm possibly putting more faith than deserved VGLeaks. It's also possible that I'm biased by the fact that as the negative PR accumulated (exploded) I've been expecting some kind of backpedal (or clarification) from MS, so confirmation bias and all that.

Actually the OP says that's where "most" of the always connected rumours are coming from, which means by extension that some of the rumours don't come from that.

17. ROG27

Regular

I said this over a month ago on March 7. And look what news comes out today regarding the future XBOX(es): info on a new version of XBOX 360 (i.e., XBOX TV to compete with the likes of Apple TV, Google TV, and to provide backwards compatability for Durango) and the Durango next-gen console. : )

Disclaimer: I am not an insider (just an enthusiast with the ability to reason and infer based on the leaked and provided information).

18. Tap In

Legend

:lol: awesome

yea now what do I do? :wink:

19. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I would love for this new 360 to function as an extender for any Durango game. Main Durango on main TV and cheap extenders on other TVs that would allow access to Durango games and services.

20. fehu

Veteran Regular

I remember a north american car called laputa and sold in south america with terrible results