Microsoft Xbox Roadmap (2013) (VGleaks)

Anyway i'm curious to see how are they going to sell this console to the european and japanese:LOL: public. Seems very NA oriented console, much more than their previous consoles.

Maybe MS has realized the Japanese market is a loser and not even relevant for their sales goals? I also don't see how this adversely impacts the European market, unless you mean the focus on entertainment that is more of a struggle to establish partners than the monopolistic US.

I hope they call it something other than a 360 because you can't readily depend on a consumer knowing the difference between a $149 extender versus a $200-$250 fully functional console if they sport the same branding.

Meh. I cancelled my XB720 when the rumours came out. If MS can't manage internet rumours effectively, I certainly ain't gonna trust them with my computer gaming. :nope:

I haven't been on this forum long enough to know if that post is dripping with sarcasm Shifty...

I hope they call it something other than a 360 because you can't readily depend on a consumer knowing the difference between a $149 extender versus a $200-$250 fully functional console if they sport the same branding.

Why? It's still a Xbox 360. It's fully functional even if it doesn't have a DVD drive. Remember the 360 Mini is more likely targeted media users & Durango owners, either way they probably won't have use for 360 disks when they can just buy their games online.

Tommy McClain

I would love for this new 360 to function as an extender for any Durango game. Main Durango on main TV and cheap extenders on other TVs that would allow access to Durango games and services.

How would that be accomplished? Do you see them doing something like remote play/onlive configuration but locally?

Maybe MS has realized the Japanese market is a loser and not even relevant for their sales goals? I also don't see how this adversely impacts the European market, unless you mean the focus on entertainment that is more of a struggle to establish partners than the monopolistic US.

Yep, that's what i meant, maybe they capitalize on services that are not available to the european public.

Why? It's still a Xbox 360. It's fully functional even if it doesn't have a DVD drive. Remember the 360 Mini is more likely targeted media users & Durango owners, either way they probably won't have use for 360 disks when they can just buy their games online.

Tommy McClain

The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality

That hints at a lack of a HDD because a fully functional 360 would only require the internet for downloading games but should be fully functional without a internet connection otherwise.

A DD only 360 probably wouldn't be a problem but one dependent on Durango for 360 gameplay would be.

That hints at a lack of a HDD because a fully functional 360 would only require the internet for downloading games but should be fully functional without a internet connection otherwise.

A DD only 360 probably wouldn't be a problem but one dependent on Durango for 360 gameplay would be.

Or the licence "per console" will not be applied to new model. Currently, if you try to play a XBLA game on another Xbox 360, you need to be logged to Xbox Live, maybe the new model will not allow us to transfer the console license.

Or the licence for console will disappear. Currently, if you try to play a XBLA game on another Xbox 360, you need to be logged to Xbox Live.

But shouldn't "any real functionality" encompass more than just the need to log in to Xbox Live for an XBLA game? But you may be right, its not like its an official release so I don't think its practical to dissect such an issue.

But shouldn't "any real functionality" encompass more than just the need to log in to Xbox Live for an XBLA game? But you may be right, its not like its an official release so I don't think its practical to dissect such an issue.

XBLA and GoDs (without license), Apps like Internet Explorer or Netflix, all of them requires Xbox Live connection.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this new report, it's not the same source as their previous info for one (ie not SuperDAE) and the always online thing contradicts what I've heard, and Kotaku, Edge etc.

If you can play local content then it's like every other always online console ever and why would all these people be making the always online distinction for 720 but not say PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
with an agenda to push for their beloved company and it's required to be a member of the SDF.
Well I'm not sure if you are serious or if your post is a sarcasm. To me after the super Dae story, the confirmed leak from VG Leak (for the ps4), pretty reputable edge giving its take, etc, I would think that people have a lot of reasons to take what was leaked seriously. MSFT may (have) change (d) is pov or not that one think but calling idiots or Sony fanboys people that whereas they may not like those policies if they come into action still think that msft considered (at least) all this extremely seriously.
Anyway, I don't follow other forum so I can't tell how bad it got in some place (to some extend even here as I'm back spending too much time around here /on the web, but it was not that true in the last weeks).

with an agenda to push for their beloved company and it's required to be a member of the SDF.

No, I know for a fact that the 'always online' thing means that games are unable to be played offline - the only features that work offline being the network troubleshooter (which Kotaku report) and Bluray playback (as mandated by the Bluray spec).

This was definitely MS's plan (see bkilian's posts on what benefits requiring always online can bring), they can change their plan but if Kotaku is reporting that it was in place at least two weeks ago then they haven't yet.

FWIW, Kotaku originally were unsure of the always online requirement as mentioned by Edge and have only now taken a position affirming it.

The other thing fishy about this vgleaks article is they seem to be conflating Xbox 361 with the functions of Xbox TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
well today's VG leaks article has been updated once or twice today with more specific info and the line "Durango will play offline games and not block used /system" was allowed to remain and you would think their source would have corrected that if it were not true

Back