Microsoft UWP Discussion

That's how Microsoft would like you to do it, but you don't have to do it that way as the link that Mrcorbo posted details.
That requires a local copy of the developer's certificate. How many developer's are going to want to provide that compared to having a Store, a truster parter, do the authentication? Again, the sideloading is for developer testing. It's no different to the sideloading that Apple support in XCode which has all the same limitations. Hell the readme even includes a section called "limitations", one of which is no uninstall script(!)

All that currently shows is that even if Microsoft is intending to allow it, clearly they are not ready yet. Until that time, it doesn't exist and developers cannot count on it.

Note that I do really want this to become available and work, because it would make my life easier.

That requires a local copy of the developer's certificate. How many developer's are going to want to provide that compared to having a Store, a truster parter, do the authentication? Again, the sideloading is for developer testing. It's no different to the sideloading that Apple support in XCode which has all the same limitations. Hell the readme even includes a section called "limitations", one of which is no uninstall script(!)

It's a proof-of-concept that, as far as I'm concerned, proves the concept. If one random guy can, over the course of two weeks, come up with a way to do it I'm confident professional developers could do the same if they wanted to.

Except here is zero chance of Bioware using UWP for Andromeda, this is restricting Andromeda to the Microsoft store on Windows. Remember you cant even buy Mass Effect 3 on Steam.

UWP = Microsoft Store and no mods. That sounds like a shitty future for Windows gaming.
UWP does NOT limit it to Microsoft Store, Microsoft Store is just only one distributing UWP software at the moment. Nothing prevents from another company setting up UWP store

UWP releases can't catch a break...

ModEdit: RE Forza Horizon 3

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean? I dont see any explicit UWP-related bugs with ForzaHorizon3. It seems to run like a champ and is visually awesome.

I wasn't talking about any UWP-specific bug. Just that UWP games in general have been very buggy at release.

Gotta wonder how far along they were when they got the memo from the higher-ups about porting to PC.

Dx11 Steam vs Dx12 UWP on Quantum Break

Not looking good for UWP or Dx12 in this game. Seems like the PC platform isn't quite ready to jump to low level API just yet.

Not looking good for UWP or Dx12 in this game. Seems like the PC platform isn't quite ready to jump to low level API just yet.
The PC platform is more than ready. The developers have been making these games for years and their engines aren't based in DX12-land from the ground up. Until the engines catch up, we'll likely see more of the same.

Yup. I remember very similar XP shills clamoring about how DX10 was non-performant and useless, announced most vehemently from the same crowd who screamed incessantly about how XP was completely capable of running DX10 ;)

Time showed the NT6 kernel and DX10 ended up being the most correct foundation; DX12 will be no different and UWP has a high probability of similar trajectory.

Vulkan can run on W7 though. XP and Vista if anyone wanted.
DX10 gamelist is not very big.
Yup, just like OpenGL and DX10 too. OpenGL (Vulkan) is about as important now as it was then, which is to say -- yeah, it exists, and yeah people are going to use it. but DX(n) is going to be the defacto target for Microsoft ecosystems.

Back