Microsoft Roadmap, the XBox 720 and more - Leak

LOL, detective GAF is on the case, they fished some kind of path out of the images, stuff like this

And out of that nkachroo name, traced it back to a possible author (actually two, but this one seems more likely)

http://www.slideshare.net/naveenkachroo

Starting to think the whole thing is real just super early. It has the whiff of truth and reminds me much of the first X360 spec leaks, which was in a very similar timeframe. Something like this was likely to happen.

At the time I didnt believe X360 spec sheet either...

Yeah being way early is the most likely case. This document if true is almost two years old with another year till launch. A lot could have changed in that time. UE4 alone could have had an impact on that original direction (see 8GB target).

I don't see why it is a problem believing this, or something like it, could have been a 2010 general "vision" document. It hits a lot of highlights and the general time frame correctly. Depending on when it was dispensed in 2010 it could be nearly 4 years before the platform is intended to be released. Counter some posters, you are NUTS if you don't think MS since 2005 had already been assembling their vision for the next Xbox. Part of the strategy is market adoption of trends but the other is to be a market leader. The fact the document entails both trends isn't surprising. The tech details are concerning (it looks like spaghetti thrown at a board for a low cost set top box that caters to everything but Xbox-Gaming) but that may be due to the early status of the document or just reflect MS chasing a different market strategy. It could very well be MS is aiming to make the Xbox 3 broad enough for every home use (digital streaming, recording, gaming, Kinect powered media/information navigation, etc) and wants the Xbox 3 to be distributed by Broadband suppliers as well as a traditional game and media device. Kinect 2 with a 'Bing Suri' and more robust media integration would probably appeal to a lot of markets.

Fake.

Does have a lot of people talking, though. Probably just an attempt to elicit a reaction from Microsoft, at least something along the lines of "You don't really think we're going to call it 720, do you? That's stupid."

So scribd has already been asked/ordered by MS Lawyers to take the document down. How long will it be before beyond3D is asked to do the same with Rotmm's posts to start this thread?

Except

So, DF doesn't actually know if it's real or not. They just don't like it because it's called a 720.

They do confirm though that they've known about it for weeks and that it's at the core of other rumors that have been around for months. I guess if it's a fake, then it's a very very patient faker.

Not just DF, a site called Nukezilla posted parts of this document weeks or months ago. I laughed at it at the time. Now it seems a little more real.

However, for example there are those at Neogaf pointing out that MS supposedly took it down doesnt mean anything, they may just not want "BS with their name on it" and full of Microsoft trademarks floating around.

I think it seems more likely to be real now though.

- Project Ten
- Xbox Loop
- Xbox 8
- Durango

Different names for the same product? different proposals and MS will select one of those?

Maybe Durango was the "powerful console" option...

Would you say Kinect hasn't been commercially successful? It released long after the xbox.

yeah sure but Micorosft didnt have Kinect in mind 3 years (like this document) before the release of xbox360. actually microsoft began developing kinect after the commercial success of the Wii.

the same is true for this TOO OBVIOUSLY FAKE document. if you want to develop a new revolutionary perepheric for your console, the best way is to release it with the console itself. It is like Nintendo releasing the Wii with a standard controller and than releases the wiimote 1 year after....in terms of commercial marketing it is NON SENSE. this fact alone make the document fake, companies just do not work like that.

but not only this that gave it away for me, there are a lot of details that make it obviously fake, I will give some examples :

1- specifying the exact frequency of the GPU (and the CPU) this early (2010), and saying ">32 mb edram", is just non coherent. it is more difficult to decide early on the frequency of the GPU than on the quantity of edram. The guy faking the document obviously wanted to play it safe.

2- "DDR4", why microsoft engineers would choose a non existent technology (that could never see the day of light in 2013) over a proven successful one a la GDDR ? it is like saying sony would use xdr2 ram for its ps4 : commercially non sense.

3- "system cost : 225$" this actually was funny and made me laugh, i wont even comment on this :LOL:

4- process : 22 nm, really ? :rolleyes:

......etc etc etc (but I repeat that the document is too much detailed with too much clear vision for a 2010 document for a 2013 console)

this is the second time I see people in this forum fall for unrealistic rumors (to not say non sense) : the first time when it was said the nextgen GPUs released in 2013 would be based on 2010 PC GPU architecture and level of performance. and the second time is this. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't assume that just because of the technology proposals seem so odd that this is a fake.

I think it's real, but that it isn't a good prediction of the final product. To me, it feels strongly like a real slide deck that was put together by product designers/marketing, before engineering had a chance to impose some reality.

Back