Microsoft Roadmap, the XBox 720 and more - Leak

I'd be quite happy with this console. An all in one entertainment box and app collaboration is good. Just do a good job with the gui MS.

What I don't get is why they're including Xenos for backwards compatability?
Surely a modern AMD GPU would be able to do a reasonable job of emulating it if the 720 includes the Xenon CPU (as the diagram shows)

But know we all know what bgassasin means when he says the 720 is 'weird'.

Is the PS4 also going to include eDRAM this time?

And can we assume that the clockspeeds on the main CPU gone up from the 2 Ghz shown in the doc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we get a spawn thread for the tech? I like to talk about this like its fact. You can debate if it real or fake here.

These thread is hard to follow.
Hardware discussion is also being held in the Next-gen Tech Prediction thread. Rumour discussion was moved out of there to here.

I will refuse to use it too. I'm not going to be dependent on an Internet connection to game, especially if ISPs institute bandwidth caps. And not owning my games, digital or otherwise? No thanks.

Absolutely, I would say that in most cases it would be entirely impossible for you to game using the nowadays internet connection speeds.
The cloud idea in general looks too controversial to me, I don't know what exactly their intentions are. I will always be against it. Partly because of the reasons mentioned by you.

What bothers me most is that 10-year lifecycle.. If true. :oops:

What bothers me most is that 10-year lifecycle.. If true. :oops:

Why? If we get a new Xbox next year, then that'll be 8 years for the 360 already. Assuming that MS don't drop the 360 like a stone, as they did with the original Xbox, but rather continue to support it in retail then I'm fairly confident that it will be relevant for at least the full 10 years.

There will always be people who are more likely to pick up a cheap gaming box with a comprehensive software library than an expensive gaming box with a limited software library. Sony showed that with both the PS1 and PS2, letting them live long after they brought their next console to market.

I'd be quite happy with this console. An all in one entertainment box and app collaboration is good. Just do a good job with the gui MS.

I don't mind the all in one approach, I just don't like the multi-media functions effecting overall performance. IMO it should be handled like this gen, allow extra options through apps and such but still give developers almost all of the available resources, saving only a bit for running the OS in the background.

Why? If we get a new Xbox next year, then that'll be 8 years for the 360 already. Assuming that MS don't drop the 360 like a stone, as they did with the original Xbox, but rather continue to support it in retail then I'm fairly confident that it will be relevant for at least the full 10 years.

There will always be people who are more likely to pick up a cheap gaming box with a comprehensive software library than an expensive gaming box with a limited software library. Sony showed that with both the PS1 and PS2, letting them live long after they brought their next console to market.

I agree with this and have been saying it for a while now. They can re-release the 360 as a set top box/game console for a cheaper price and it would still sell IMO.

10 year life cycle is all great, until you competitor release a console 5x as powerful as your in year 3 or something. At that point you're slowly dead, it's just a matter of time.

The reason the cycle went so long this time was because it was allowed to. All three players had tenable positions. Dont expect that to happen again. Nintendo for one imo isn't going to last long with the Wii U, meaning they very well could be next-next genning it sooner rather than later (though, it's dubious if they would EVER go powerful again, they just might I suppose, especially if Sony/MS sandbag it and it's fairly cheap for Nintendo to leapfrog).

MS really doesnt seem to understand this market.

All that assuming of course, they dont mean 10 year cycle like the PS2. 5-6 years as frontline then 3-4 years selling well as legacy.

10 year life cycle is all great, until you competitor release a console 5x as powerful as your in year 3 or something. At that point you're slowly dead, it's just a matter of time.

The reason the cycle went so long this time was because it was allowed to. All three players had tenable positions. Dont expect that to happen again. Nintendo for one imo isn't going to last long with the Wii U, meaning they very well could be next-next genning it sooner rather than later (though, it's dubious if they would EVER go powerful again, they just might I suppose, especially if Sony/MS sandbag it and it's fairly cheap for Nintendo to leapfrog).

MS really doesnt seem to understand this market.

All that assuming of course, they dont mean 10 year cycle like the PS2. 5-6 years as frontline then 3-4 years selling well as legacy.

Who's going to release a console 5x more powerful 3 years into next gen? You seem to be suffering the same misunderstanding most people do when discussing 10 year life cycles. Just because you plan a 10 year cycle, that doesn't mean you don't release another console for 10 years.

Who's going to release a console 5x more powerful 3 years into next gen? You seem to be suffering the same misunderstanding most people do when discussing 10 year life cycles. Just because you plan a 10 year cycle, that doesn't mean you don't release another console for 10 years.

Apple. Although I think they may skip the whole console stuff, shame them could have really sank Sony and Microsoft.

is someone in here said Durango's GPU will be 1 teraflops?

saw this in neogaf thread and he said it's "reliable"...ah,come on...

So Ars has a story on I assume the same docs.

They say the production cost would be $225? 6-8 times more powerful than the 360. Sounds like a lot of features, like whole home DVR (so it would have a cable card slot with some kind of cheap extenders?).

The drawings still show Kinect being used mostly for party dance games. True Blood episode the other night featured the characters playing Rock Band at a party. Isn't the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing over?

Isn't the whole Rock Band/Guitar Hero thing over?
A: TV-show writers and producers probably don't keep 100% track of what is "in" or not in the gaming subculture.

B: TV-shows have fairly long production lead-times, from writing scripts and securing product placement deals (which this is liable to be), to actually shooting, scoring and cutting the episode...

Apple. Although I think they may skip the whole console stuff, shame them could have really sank Sony and Microsoft.

I joke about Apple joining the console race, but I just don't see it happening. They like to make money on their hardware, so unless they plan to pump out an underpowered console and compete with Nintendo, I just don't see it ever happening.

is someone in here said Durango's GPU will be 1 teraflops?

saw this in neogaf thread and he said it's "reliable"...ah,come on...

I believe someone said bgassassin was the source, though I could be wrong.

True but in this case, they probably wanted to feature the characters pretending to be rock stars so they were preening with these fake instruments. Guess that wouldn't have worked with Kinect.

In earlier season, they featured one of the vampires playing Wii Sports, when it was relatively new and hot.

this is a document they are saying is from MS, I can totally see MS taking this down no matter what it said, real or fake, website will report this as a internal MS document.

Yup, pretty sure if someone uses your trademark without permission or represents a statement not by you as by you, that's still not okay, legally.

Edit: Realized after I posted this that this train of discussion ended earlier in the thread than I thought I was at. If this is completely irrelevant or addressed by now, feel free to delete.

Apple, Sony and Microsoft are the only companies in the world.. :LOL:
Have you heard about Google, Samsung, Panasonic, etc?

Ok, I don't like this huge gap in time between PS4 and PS3, the former should have already been released in order to unclog that sh**** thing called gaming industry...

Did you not read the last sentence in my post you're replying??

Who's going to release a console 5x more powerful 3 years into next gen?

3 years into next gen=2016-17. If Durango is a 1 tf box, a 2 or 3 tf gpu will be low end by then, considering it's midrange/small now (Pitcairn), in june 2012. Granted I said 5X rather than 2 or 3X, but the point stands.

Even Nintendo can put a low end GPU in a box in 2016 and possibly easily outpower ps4/720.

That would be what? 4 years into the life of the WiiU?
Too early for Nintendo to launch a successor...By then, if past trends are any indication, we would be looking at 60 millions + Durango/Orbis : With the current market configuration, the escalating costs and the fragile economy, I doubt developers would shift gears to please any new comer at the expense of the already viable options. :smile:
But I agree with you over the premise : The hard is a bit disapointing as it was envisaged. I'd bet they beefed up the specs a bit (nothing comparable to older generations' transitions though) as to price it at around 349-399 dollars!

Back