Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

ph20060106015498hi.jpg

That Pioneer comparison screen has something wrong, in other images from the same setup the colour balances between the displays had not been so much off.
In th epic posted here, the right pic seems to have more bluish color balance, while in other screens I've seen it's the BD that seemed to haev the display setup to emphasize blue (it's a known fact that a slight tint towards blue makes the image appear sharper)

Anyway, in the closeup pics there really doesn't seem to be that dramatic difference between HD and SD, the difference definitely is there and absolutely visible to naked eye, but as it's the finer details that are affected, many people could view them and not notice else than slight improvement in "overall clarity". The advantages of HD in movies are really not seen on closeups of faces etc, but in those objects that are more in the background.

Pugger said:
besides the picture is not taken centrally which accounts for the colour problem on the DVD screen.

Neither of the two *identical* screens is aligned centrally to the camera. ;)

Pugger said:
BTOA, I would only make a judgement in a shop if I were you, besides the picture is not taken centrally which accounts for the colour problem on the DVD screen.
I have done many comparisons of HDTV sets in my local area. I have had them running ESPN HD vs ESPN SD off of a satelite signal via Direct TV, where I had both HD output tested and running in 720p and 1080i vs the regular ESPN.

If you don't notice the difference in picture quality of this comparison or similar types then theres no point in debating this issue.

Also, many people have notice this difference when I have performed this test.

BTOA said:
Is this poll taken people's opinion who have seen the differences between SD and HD running on a HD set they might want to purcahse in the future.

If not, then its pretty useless using this poll. ;)

No not really, polls are done to show the opinion right now. If that opinion is based on faulty info, assumtions or what not does not matter. If the problem is that people do not know the difference between the HDTVs and SDTVS then it is up to the CE companies to inform them.

And the truth be told going to a TV shop looking at HDTVs will not always be a good experiene, I have seen cases, actually most of the time where the picture displayed on a HDTV is worse or in the best case senario as good as a SDTV. Sure you can blame the setup and stuff but if that is what consumers see I don't see them spending the money for getting a HDTV when for half or less the money they can get an even bigger SDTV...

Pugger said:
BTOA, I would only make a judgement in a shop if I were you, besides the picture is not taken centrally which accounts for the colour problem on the DVD screen.

Asides from the myriad of issues which could explain the colour difference in that picture, resolution differences can technically at least affect colour balance and colour resolution. Whether it'd be enough to provide such a dramatic difference...I don't know.

BTOA said:
What have people seen, when there are very little HD content available to the general public?

If people actually see a SD/ED (DVD) vs HD (BluRay/HD-DVD) movie running on a HDTV, they'll know the difference. Only a fool would think other wise.

BTW, Here's a Pioneer BluRay vs DVD pic I found at AVSF a few days ago.
ph20060106015498hi.jpg

Looks pretty clear to me that HD content>>>SD/ED content on a HDTV. ;)

Playing with the colour tones and contrast will do that for you...

BTOA said:
I have done many comparisons of HDTV sets in my local area. I have had them running ESPN HD vs ESPN SD off of a satelite signal via Direct TV, where I had both HD output tested and running in 720p and 1080i vs the regular ESPN.

If you don't notice the difference in picture quality of this comparison or similar types then theres no point in debating this issue.

Also, many people have notice this difference when I have performed this test.

Of course there is difference, the question is if it is big enough for most consumers to warrant to difference in price as well...

You're hardly gonna see a difference in resolution on an image where the screen occupies an area of around 60 x 60 pixels... I mean, some common sense for god's sake!!

Different colours and constrast tones have nothing to do with the difference between SD and HD.

Good lord...

london-boy said:
Different colours and constrast tones have nothing to do with the difference between SD and HD.

Not true, from what I've read..

I saw a comparison done between film (which most movies originate on) and digital counterparts, and it concluded, for example, that it takes much more resolution on the digital side to match the colour fidelity of the original film than it does to match its detail.

Again, I don't know if it would produce a difference like that in the above photo. But it does seem to make sense that the more samples you take of a film (the higher your resolution), the more faithful you'll be to its colouring.

Titanio said:
Not true, from what I've read..

I saw a comparison done between film (which most movies originate on) and digital counterparts, and it concluded, for example, that it takes much more resolution on the digital side to match the colour fidelity of the original film than it does to match its detail.

Again, I don't know if it would produce a difference like that in the above photo. But it does seem to make sense that the more samples you take of a film (the higher your resolution), the more faithful you'll be to its colouring.

Well i was really talking about that silly picture someone posted just here... ;)

london-boy said:
Well i was really talking about that silly picture someone posted just here... ;)

True. As is, the photo tells us nothing really. But improved detail and colour resolution are things I'd look/hope for with HD formats.

I have do doubts that HD TV makes a difference I have one. But it certaintly doesn't explain the massive differnece in terms of colour contrast in that picture. The DVD refrence makes it look like everthing is blue and yes it may have been set up incorrectly and yes neither screen is centrally placed although The HD TV is closer to centre. As for not being able to see the difference, I can and in terms of colour its nothing like that picture for sure. As has been stated my only question mark over HD has been pointed out and is is the difference big enough for the general public to think its worth the cash involved to make use of it. From what I have seen on my own TV I don't think it is at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume Blu-Ray would have quite a bit more to offer [over DVD] than just a resolution upgrade... :!:

Phil said:
I would assume Blu-Ray would have quite a bit more to offer [over DVD] than just a resolution upgrade... :!:
Because you believe it's these other features that will drive consumer interest?

.Sis

inefficient said:
From today's Poll on IMDB.com

Would you replace your DVD of a title if a High Definition (HD) DVD version came out?

(48.5%) No, I don't see the need
(25.3%) No, I'm gonna wait 'til they decide on the format to use (25.3%)
(11.1%) Yes, if the price was right
(8.8%) Yes, if there were more special features
(6.3%) Yes, if the picture was better

This is perhaps a better representation of the general consumers attitude's than a poll on a tech/game centric site. And not surprisingly, picture quality is very low on the list.

So almost 75% currently have no intention of upgrading? You can add on the additional 11% on when you take the early-adopter premium into account.

Any idea on how many responded to this poll?

EDIT: Just registered, only 4500 respondents...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sis said:
Because you believe it's these other features that will drive consumer interest?
.Sis

Not drive, but it's the whole package that counts. As others pointed out, there are various feature that add to the advantage of a next-generation medium (i.e. interactivity, better image-quality). Resolution, as I pointed out, is just one of them.

DVD didn't just offer the convinience of having better image-quality over VHS, it had multiple advantages (disc medium, space for lots of content like i.e. trailers, special features, making-ofs, more convinient, longlivety etc). Blu-Ray boosts a few added consumer benefits as well - something that adds to the overall value to the consumer.

expletive said:
So almost 75% currently have no intention of upgrading? You can add on the additional 11% on when you take the early-adopter premium into account.

Any idea on how many responded to this poll?

EDIT: Just registered, only 4500 respondents...

This is a great poll for what the people think NOW! The next-gen movie disc haven't even come out yet. I've seen countless people on this very board (even you expletive) that have said besides tech enthusits (spelled wrong) most common everyday people don't even know Blu-ray or HD-DVD exist.

So how can we expect a high "gotta get the HD version" percentage?

mckmas8808 said:
This is a great poll for what the people think NOW! The next-gen movie disc haven't even come out yet. I've seen countless people on this very board (even you expletive) that have said besides tech enthusits (spelled wrong) most common everyday people don't even know Blu-ray or HD-DVD exist.

So how can we expect a high "gotta get the HD version" percentage?

Well thats part of the uphill battle to change the mind share of people 'needing' an HD disc format. Not knowing about, or not being fully educated 'today' is precisely part of the problem that needs to be overcome. Right now youre looking at 3 out of 4 people with at least a mild interest in movies (what would be the core audience for the new fortmats) not planning on buying a new format player, thats a pretty steep hill.

Back