Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Remakes and re-releases (Quake, Skyrim) have come to both PlayStation and Switch, and support has continued for titles that were released years ago like Elder Scrolls Online (released 2015). Doom Eternal released on 20 March 2021 with Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax being approved just a week or so before, by which time the game was finished, pressed on discs and boxed up and already in retail channels, not to mention all the marketing had long since been paid for.

Ghostwire and Deathloop were contractual obligations.
Right. Everything that was released has an asterix because there are factors that drove the decision to release them or not. But it doesn't change that it happened. If I ordered 6 peach pies for delivery to my house, and then someone buys my house, I can't somehow claim that I only had 2 pies delivered after I sold my house when I got 6.

Curiously, Fallout 75 doesn't have a PS5 version, even though it's newer than ESO.

Right. Everything that was released has an asterix because there are factors that drove the decision to release them or not. But it doesn't change that it happened. If I ordered 6 peach pies for delivery to my house, and then someone buys my house, I can't somehow claim that I only had 2 pies delivered after I sold my house when I got 6.

Curiously, Fallout 75 doesn't have a PS5 version, even though it's newer than ESO.
I believe Fallout 76 got updated last month to take advantage of both PS5 and Xbox Series. Don't think they're native, though.

Anyways, MS won.

- Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Looooooooooooooosers! From now on it's all exclusive! We will buy the last of us too! Looooooooooooseeeeeeeers!
- Phil! Phil! There's still the CMA!
- Oh... Right... Well... We are sincerely happy for the outcome, we commit to collaborating and making this a great opportunity for gamers and the industry as a whole.

Well that's that then. I guess we can look forward to Sony attempts now to buy SE any time now, and then MS buying Ubisoft etc...ugh

Last edited:
Bummer. Their case was weak, but I was still hoping the FTC would win anyways. Having all of Activision/Blizzard under Microsoft is not a good thing for the future.

Bummer. Their case was weak, but I was still hoping the FTC would win anyways. Having all of Activision/Blizzard under Microsoft is not a good thing for the future.
Unless you work for Activision-Blizzard, in which case this is almost certainly an improvement in T&C of employment.

Well that's that then. I guess we can look forward to Sony attempts not to buy SE any time now, and then MS buying Ubisoft etc...ugh
Square Enix needs to stay independent anyhow. Sony needs to concentrate more on smaller/medium studios with great IPs who need serious capital to grow.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprise if they're arming up for bigger game studios and/or publishers, which is just going to escalate this new era of game studio/publisher consolidation.

some people are asking for Jim Ryan's head. I mean Sony's fans. 'Cos according to them, he presented weak arguments and excuses to the case that they hope cost him his position at Sony.

even for a kinda MS fanboy like myself, I gotta admit that the spectacle both companies gave was lamentable.

I've not seen this. Nutjobs or what? Do post links.
"normal" people. It's been posted in a spaniard -where Sony is the most loved and popular company- board.

That being said, Sony fans there don't like Jim Ryan at all since years ago -ABK aside-, because of things like publishing PS games on PC, digital format transition..., retro, along with other decisions.

I prefer not to post the exact thread 'cos it is a very small, almost hidden, forum, but 90%+ -not exaggerating here- of the colleagues who prefer Playstation I know, don't like him and basically say that he wants the money he gets from those Sony's moves to buy swimming pools. :LOL: He is usually known, in the circles of Sony's fans, as the Don Mattrick of Sony.

People call him the "petunias" -a flower-, 🌷 Jimbo and so on, pejoratively.

This is one of the most popular forums (general discussion related) on the internet, and in Spain. Just some examples:

https://forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=8186325 (the problem of Sony is Jim Ryan)

https://forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=9594117 (Jim Ryan has a wider face than his back -meaning a cheeky person, a shameless person-)

https://www.foro3djuegos.com/comuni...para-terminar-hablando-de-perros-by-jim-ryan/ Jim Ryan on abortion and dogs.

Last edited:
What should msft do is release now custom operator skin to COD which look like Jim Ryan and make it Xbox exclusive. Just to fucking trigger everyone. And call it Flying Lying Jim

Telling the future is hard, but ABK's profits have historically been $4-6B. At that pace it will take about 15 years to profit what Microsoft has paid for ABK. But, ABK still has a value. So if they choose to keep them for 5 years, they could sell them for 50B and still have made a profit.

Paying a special dividend doesn't have a potential for profit. Making an investment does. And buying a thing (as opposed to spending it on a dead end research project) is a fairly safe investment.

Keep in mind that the ABK entity itself has value (as you've noted). So for people not paying attention, if, for example, ABK is worth say 60 billion USD, then at 4-6 billion USD a year, you'd break even in about 2.5 - 3.5 years. Of course, the value of something could appreciate or depreciate over time, so the calculations are never that simple.

Basically, they key here is that Microsoft isn't losing much if any "value" with this purchase. It's not likely they are taking out a loan in order to finance the deal with interest on the loan being a deficit that has to be made up.

A lot of people fail to take into account the value of what is being purchased.

As well, it's important to note (as you did) that this is an investment that pays dividends to both the corporation (potentially increased revenue and profits) as well as shareholders (potentially higher stock value, potentially larger dividends in the futures).

As noted, is there a better way to invest 70 billion USD? At a profit of 4-6 billion USD a year, that'd be a yearly ROI of between 5.7 and 8.6 percent a year.

Also, it's important to note that Microsoft's plans for ABK include expanding the market for their products onto other consoles and devices. That potentially increases future profits generated by ABK above and beyond what they have historically generated. If that happens, then the ROI gets better and better.

Of course, as with everything, nothing is guaranteed. It's certainly also possible that ABK could start failing in a massive way after the acquisition.

Regards,
SB

WOW!

Microsoft did their magic!

Edit: Sony is in a bad spot, even if they aren't in the immediate. They simply can't fight Microsoft at this level, plain and simple. BUT, it will be interesting to see the moves they'll make going forward that's for sure.

This went down how I said it would like a 100 pages ago. MS wins against the FTC(and yes this is the first of many steps but the ftc apparently never wins if they loose here) and then the CMA will come back to make nice because no one wants to be the squeaky wheel. There is simply no benefit to them.

I expect something silly like MS offering another 5 years to all these cloud companies and nvidia for the activision games or something and then the CMA will say they got what they want and they were tough and stood up to the big bad microsoft.

Sony will be fine . MS expects new consoles in 2028 which will likely only be 4 years into a 10 year deal if sony signs it. So we will be looking at the end of the ps6 generation if not the start of the ps7 generation for COD to no longer be on playstation. That is unless sony says no to any contract on call of duty from microsoft. Then they might be out of it right away. The other issue would be if they deny ps6 dev kits to MS and then end up having to deal with a situation where ps6 has a ps5 only version and xbox next has the true next gen version
Well that's that then. I guess we can look forward to Sony attempts not to buy SE any time now, and then MS buying Ubisoft etc...ugh

Square Enix needs to stay independent anyhow. Sony needs to concentrate more on smaller/medium studios with great IPs who need serious capital to grow.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprise if they're arming up for bigger game studios and/or publishers, which is just going to escalate this new era of game studio/publisher consolidation.

Sony doesn't need to buy Square. They have exclusivity deals on a bunch of their games and while the newest FF did worse in Japan than previous entries they still count on that market for sales. So unless MS starts selling 20x the amount of consoles they are selling now Sony would be better off looking at other companies.

some people are asking for Jim Ryan's head. I mean Sony's fans. 'Cos according to them, he presented weak arguments and excuses to the case that they hope cost him his position at Sony.

even for a kinda MS fanboy like myself, I gotta admit that the spectacle both companies gave was lamentable.

The Neogaf thread is really toxic. It got really bad right after the CMA blocked the deal and now a bunch of sony fans or trolls are really spinning out. They even have a thread saying now MS will be 3rd party by the end of the generation.

The whole point of this purchase is to expand their own stores onto more platforms. Ms wants a 15-30% cut from games sold on consoles / pcs/ mobile .

I know they have a huge rework of their xbox store app for windows that will fix some of the short comings and will apparently make it easier to stream games from the cloud. I have also heard they are toying around with adding a mixer like functionality into that / xbox and the mobile app they are working on to make it easier for people to live stream games. If that ends up being another attempt at a streaming platform or just connects to twitch/youtube/kick who knows

Back