Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

A preliminary hearing in court where the facts of the dispute will be discussed and the court will decide how much of the case necessitates actual hearing in court. It will also decide if any further evidence it required from relevant parties. Unsubstantiated asks will rejected with a view to narrowing the trial to the pertinent points - e.g. the non-specific and low-bar use of things being "unlawful", which is what lawyers use when they cannot cite a specific piece of legislation or stated policy that they believe is being used incorrectly.

This should the last case management conference.

I watched some of this, The 4 week on cloud comment was a follow on when the MS lawyer accused the cma of not even talking to some of the cloud parties they used as evidence in their case, I think it was to do with the ms side wanting to roll out these 3 parties to provide evidence that the cma didn't talk to them, this started to get a bit firey between both sides and the judge pulled them in and said they will have a chance to go at each other later. This started during talk about the cma economic accounting being flawed and them wanting to roll out an expert witness to disprove their maths. The 12th is when they work out what new evidence ms can use if any.

The cma lawyer wasn't doing himself many favours, he seemed quite flippant at times and at one point asked for more time to work through some evidence and the judge asked why do they need more time to explore evidence that they had provided. MS probably has zero chance but the cma lawyer was painful to watch at times.

Um, yeah, it's their job to have these discussions! Microsoft acting as if this is somehow a one-way street between World Trade regulatory bodies. And any 'work product' that CMA officials/investigators had written, verbally recorded, and/or digitally communicated that were generated during these conversations and investigation, don't need to be disclosed to the parties involved in the M&A investigatory process, and those 'work product' notes/emails/communications are actually protected.

What Microsoft lawyers really want to say, is that the CMA didn't allow Microsoft to hold their hands at each step of the way, before arriving at their decision. Good try though...

Last edited:
The cma lawyer wasn't doing himself many favours, he seemed quite flippant at times and at one point asked for more time to work through some evidence and the judge asked why do they need more time to explore evidence that they had provided. MS probably has zero chance but the cma lawyer was painful to watch at times.
I don't know if the CMA have their own in-house legal representation or if they, like many Government departments and agencies, use UK's Government Legal Department (GLD) or perhaps even solicit outside counsel as my department does from time to time. Generally if the lawyer is not being as polished as you would expect, it could be they are just not very good or, more likely, they have not had time to fully consider the evidence. A ludicrously large amount of evidence is at stake here and it would be a change for any representative to fully memorise it all.

Coincidentally, Sony were also in a separate CAT tribunal yesterday. I wonder if they waved to Microsoft in the waiting room. :unsure: Probably not..

Last edited by a moderator:
more likely, they have not had time to fully consider the evidence.
You have probably called it here, right at the start he said he had only been on the case 2 days. I found that puzzling and wondered what was up with that but you have just cleared that up, cheers.

You have probably called it here, right at the start he said he had only been on the case 2 days. I found that puzzling and wondered what was up with that but you have just cleared that up, cheers.
they should have had the whole process as time to fully consider the evidence. If they can't defend the choice they made then what was the point of even making it.

they should have had the whole process as time to fully consider the evidence. If they can't defend the choice they made then what was the point of even making it.
"they" who? Legal representation for a tribunal would have been brought in specifically for this. The CMA may well have consulted legal advisors during their deliberations but the representation at a tribunal would likely requirement somebody equivalent to a barrister.

"they" who? Legal representation for a tribunal would have been brought in specifically for this. The CMA may well have consulted legal advisors during their deliberations but the representation at a tribunal would likely requirement somebody equivalent to a barrister.
The cma should be able to give the legal team all documents pertaining to how their decision was found. I am actually surprised that there wasn't a legal team already in place during the CMA process.

The cma should be able to give the legal team all documents pertaining to how their decision was found. I am actually surprised that there wasn't a legal team already in place during the CMA process.
Yes, but it probably takes longer than 2 days to read and understand it all. From the sounds of it that's all this CMA lawyer has had.

The CMA published thousands of pages of reports, analysis and redacted documents. That'll be a fraction of what they hold themselves.

A Variety interview with Bobby Kotick on the future of Activision, and his. I mostly quoted the relevant stuff related to the acquisition.

Bobby Kotick Breaks His Silence: Embattled Activision CEO Addresses Toxic Workforce Claims as Microsoft Deal Hangs in Balance

In 2022, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush accounted for 79% of the company’s $7.5 billion in annual net revenue. The company is eagerly awaiting next week’s global launch of a next-generation installment of Blizzard’s Diablo franchise, Diablo IV.

With Activision in a stronger place these days, though, there have been whispers in the industry about whether Kotick might be having second thoughts about hitching the company’s wagon to Microsoft. But Kotick, who stands to make a not-so-small fortune in the sale, says he is only focused on guiding the deal through the regulatory roadblocks.

He’s exasperated by the public debate on whether Microsoft, in combination with Activision, will have too much sway over the nascent cloud-gaming sector. In his view, the real threat is that U.S. firms fall behind not only China’s Tencent, ByteDance and Alibaba but also Japan’s Sony and Nintendo as leaders and innovators in the AI, streaming and mobile technologies needed to power the next generation of immersive video games.

Kotick emphasizes that he thinks Microsoft is a perfect fit for Activision. The company has the financial resources and infrastructure to support the kind of investment that will be needed to remain competitive in the space that Activision has helped define over the past 30 years. “I think Microsoft is by far the best place for us to be,” he says.

That said, if the deal doesn’t go through, Activision will soldier on with a balance sheet that is bolstered by $12.6 billion in cash on the books. That amount will grow by nearly $3 billion if Microsoft has to pay Activision the deal breakup fee negotiated as part of the transaction. That’s a lot of cash to wield, should Kotick decide to go shopping for other companies.

As Kotick talks up the virtues of the Microsoft deal for Activision at the close of a nearly two-hour conversation, though, it’s clear he’s thinking about both his next moves and his legacy. Handing Activision to a new owner will be hard, but perhaps made easier by Kotick’s long-standing relationships with Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming, and Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella. “I like the company,” Kotick says of Microsoft. “I like the culture. I’m really scared about the economy — compensation for talent has been ratcheting up in ways that are complex for us to deal with. So this deal made a lot of sense.”

“We have a great company. We have an enormous amount of momentum, and we have an extraordinary balance sheet,” Kotick says. “And we can continue to be successful alone like we have been for the last 30 years. But it’ll be great if the deal goes through because I think it’s the right thing for our industry.”

As I mentioned before, Activision is definitely in the better (re)negotiating position than Microsoft. There are stories/rumors now popping up (and not just on social media) that others are 'now' interested in Activision. The next few months will be interesting indeed.

Last edited:
Acquisition won't change that.
No, it won't. What I'm trying to reach is a rationale reason for why people believe there is bias against Microsoft on this issue. The UK Government works very closely with Microsoft and, like defence and security companies, there are teams at Microsoft with very high government security clearances because they provide IT solutions for the most sensitive information needs.

This is a positive working relationship that has existed for decades and only deepens with increasing sue of Microsoft's cloud solutions and private server arrangements. The UK Government is one of Microsoft's biggest customers in Europe and Microsoft is one of the few companies trusted to secure Government and public information.

Which is kind of weird when there is this suggested irrational UK Government bias against Microsoft. Kind of doesn't make a lot of sense, wouldn't you say?

Back