Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

It's not anti-MS. See above.
You and I must see very different things when you look at the world. I get where why there is anxiousness in big tech becoming impenetrable because nobody can challenge Google in search and mobile operating systems, nobody can challenge Amazon for cloud storage, nobody can challenge Microsoft in desktop operating systems, and nobody can challenge Facebook in social media.

And all of these companies have jumped against not being able to compete with a larger, more entrenched competitor despite their size.

Microsoft couldn't compete with Apple in the digital portable music player space, they couldn't compete with Apple and Google in the smartphone OS space, they couldn't compete with Google in the search space, and they couldn't compete with Amazon in he cloud storage space.

Google couldn't compete with Microsoft on the non-mobile operating system space, they couldn't compete with Apple in the smartphone space, and they couldn't compete with Facebook in the social media space.

When bigtech, with all its money, technical expertise and prowess cannot compete with other big tech, how is that an open and competitive market? All this teaches us if that when somebody big gets there first, unless they drop the ball themselves, they cannot be dislodged.

You and I must see very different things when you look at the world. I get where why there is anxiousness in big tech becoming impenetrable because nobody can challenge Google in search and mobile operating systems, nobody can challenge Amazon for cloud storage, nobody can challenge Microsoft in desktop operating systems, and nobody can challenge Facebook in social media.

Plenty of companies challenging them in all of those fields. MS and Google would like to have a word about challenging Amazon's dominance of cloud storage. They are the leader, but they are far from the only large player. Likewise there's Twitter, Instagram, etc. are challengers to Facebook.

That's like saying there's no companies challenging Sony for the "hardcore" ooops, I mean "high performance" (whatever the "F" that means) console market since Sony controls ~2/3 of the market.

That's awfully close to Microsoft Windows ~70% share of the "computer" OS market share. It's odd to think of iOS in that way, but it is a viable competitor now that iPads have started to include keyboard support and more support for apps (more full featured approaching or equivalent to desktop versions) typically associated with desktop computing. So, I don't really have a quibble with iOS for iPads included in that chart.

So, is Microsoft then not considered as a serious challenger to Sony's dominance in consoles (since the CMA doesn't consider Nintendo a competitor)?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

And all of these companies have jumped against not being able to compete with a larger, more entrenched competitor despite their size.

Microsoft couldn't compete with Apple in the digital portable music player space, they couldn't compete with Apple and Google in the smartphone OS space, they couldn't compete with Google in the search space, and they couldn't compete with Amazon in he cloud storage space.

Google couldn't compete with Microsoft on the non-mobile operating system space, they couldn't compete with Apple in the smartphone space, and they couldn't compete with Facebook in the social media space.

When bigtech, with all its money, technical expertise and prowess cannot compete with other big tech, how is that an open and competitive market? All this teaches us if that when somebody big gets there first, unless they drop the ball themselves, they cannot be dislodged.

In almost every one one of those instances the 1st mover lost. Google wasn't the 1st search provider. Apple wasn't the 1st phone provider. Apple wasn't the 1st portable music provider etc... Why so scared about MS being the first big Cloud guy? Doesn't make sense. The CMA is actually limiting competition by not letting MS compete with Sony in the console space. They're hurting consumers, mainly because they have an ideological bias to block big mergers.

Via Idas/MLex

- Microsoft executives are actively looking at ways to close the acquisition despite a UK veto on the deal, MLex has learned.

- The CMA currently has an interim order in place preventing Microsoft from acquiring "an interest in Activision or any of its subsidiaries." It is likely to make that permanent very soon.

- The surprise speed of the CAT appeal process may dampen any calls within the company for it to close the deal regardless of the UK block.

- "Our priority is pursuing the appeal process in the UK, and we remain committed to constructive dialogue and solutions to address regulatory concerns," a Microsoft spokesperson said today.

- Microsoft has hired extra lawyers and has tasked some with examining how it could close the Activision deal, MLex understands.

- One option could include Activision exiting the UK for another European country in a bid to remove itself from the CMA's jurisdiction. Its games could continue to be sold via a distributor. One rub is that any such decision must be taken by Activision to avoid breaching merger laws that stipulate that merging companies must be managed separately and independently until they actually close.

- Another option could see Microsoft extend remedies given to and accepted by the European Commission to the UK unilaterally, even though they were rejected as insufficient by the CMA.

- The company is also actively contesting the CMA's draft order that would give effect to its veto, banning Microsoft from acquiring an interest in Activision for several years, and vice versa. The ability of the UK watchdog to impose a global ban solely to address concerns relating to the UK market is at the center of that, MLex understands. Microsoft could challenge the final order in court to seek to narrow its scope, to potentially allow it to close elsewhere in the world.

- Alternatively, Microsoft could seek to close the transaction and argue that the order was illegal in its defense when sued by the CMA.

- In mid-May, a reporter for CNBC asked Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella whether the company could close the deal and just stop selling Activision's products in the UK. The CEO responded: "Let's wait for it all to play out." Asked by MLex on May 12 whether it could close around the UK, a representative of Microsoft said it was a "complicated question," but "at some point we may need to think about it." A spokesperson from Microsoft advised against reading too much into the comments

That's like saying there's no companies challenging Sony for the "hardcore" ooops, I mean "high performance" (whatever the "F" that means) console market since Sony controls ~2/3 of the market.
Dude, have you not been paying attention!?! This is been Microsoft's whole f***ing narrative? They need this acquisition to compete with Sony. Ergo, in their mind, they aren't now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Phil Spencer said this on the Kindafunny podcast last month, which was a mind-blowing thing to say. A bit like when he just disclosed that they were selling Xbox consoles at a $50-100 loss before Christmas. The man just says what's on his mind. :runaway:

In almost every one one of those instances the 1st mover lost. Google wasn't the 1st search provider. Apple wasn't the 1st phone provider. Apple wasn't the 1st portable music provider etc... Why so scared about MS being the first big Cloud guy? Doesn't make sense.
That's an astute observation; with the exception of Windows (where Microsoft were first with a commercial desktop GUI OS), all of the other examples was where the market emerged, grow a little bit with various companies testing out technologies, then the dominator follows having watched how not to do it and holds the market for decades.

Microsoft aren't first to cloud gaming. PS Now launched in 2014, Geforce Now beta in 2015. They are the late arrivers. Not unless people believe the power of the cloud helped Xbox One games, in which case they were first in 2013. :runaway:

Interesting I had speculated about it in a hypothetical but highly improbable to happen sort of way that if ABK REALLY REALLY wanted to be sold to MS at all costs despite an injunction against the merger in the UK, that they could just exit the country and thus would no longer be under the jurisdiction of the CMA.

Also interesting that Kotick's comments indicate why ABK would still want to be acquired even though they are currently doing better than they were a couple years ago. Talent is getting more expensive and game development is getting far more complex and involved and ABK at this point is almost entirely dependent on COD doing well in order to drive profitability that if COD falters again, it may lead to the death of the company. Hence, despite doing well this past year, the signs are on the wall that retaining control of ABK is a highly risky endeavor if you aren't capable and prepared to absorb potential losses if COD falters as it did a few years back when development costs were far lower.

It's also a bit of a dire indictment of the current state of AAA game development. It's so expensive in terms of time and money (talent * time) that even with "safe" genres and "safe" IP, it's still riskier than it was 10 years ago and AAA development back then was already pretty darn risky as evidenced by the development studios and publishers that have exited the market since then.

Regards,
SB

Dude, have you not been paying attention!?! This is been Microsoft's whole f***ing narrative? They need this acquisition to compete with Sony. Ergo, in their mind, they aren't now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Phil Spencer said this on the Kindafunny podcast last month, which was a mind-blowing thing to say. A bit like when he just disclosed that they were selling Xbox consoles at a $50-100 loss before Christmas. The man just says what's on his mind. :runaway:

Sure, and everyone other than the CMA also sees it in a similar way if not nearly as dire as Phil might see it.

As it stands, Xbox is not a serious challenger to PlayStation. With ABK maybe maybe they can get to equal footing (I'm doubtful).

So, if the CMA see's Amazon's position as virtually unassailable in Cloud storage, why wouldn't they also view Sony's position in a similar light WRT the gaming market? Well, they can't in any logical way not see it in a similar light, especially when Nintendo is excluded from the calculations ... so instead they latch onto a nascent cloud gaming market that currently exists most in name only, that in 10 years time might not exist, may exist as a niche market, might exist as a relatively equal market to consoles, or might dominate the market (I have an extremely difficult time envisioning the last as even remotely possible).

And on top of that they use factually incorrect information to calculate Microsoft's presence in the nascent cloud gaming market.

Regards,
SB

Interesting I had speculated about it in a hypothetical but highly improbable to happen sort of way that if ABK REALLY REALLY wanted to be sold to MS at all costs despite an injunction against the merger in the UK, that they could just exit the country and thus would no longer be under the jurisdiction of the CMA.
Thet would be a breach of the secondary order restricting them "acquiring an interest" in each other. The CMA knew they were gonna fly to Vegas and bang, because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. :yep2:

Of course, when Activision try to wind-up UK operations, that is when they would get hit. You can't just throw all your shit in a suitcase, stick on a fake moustache and take the train to Paris while hoping nobody notices. :nope:

Thet would be a breach of the secondary order restricting them "acquiring an interest" in each other. The CMA knew they were gonna fly to Vegas and bang, because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. :yep2:

Of course, when Activision try to wind-up UK operations, that is when they would get hit. You can't just throw all your shit in a suitcase, stick on a fake moustache and take the train to Paris while hoping nobody notices. :nope:

That bit sort of reminds me of the shit that CA is trying to pull recently with trying to pass a law that would allow them to continue taxing people that move out of state and are no longer residents of CA for X years after they've moved out of CA and are no longer residents of CA.

Regards,
SB

As it stands, Xbox is not a serious challenger to PlayStation. With ABK maybe maybe they can get to equal footing (I'm doubtful).
The same way Bing is not a serious challenger to Google? If Bing is not competing with Google then that affirms the point about big tech being unassailable once it has established dominance. If Bing is competing with Google then a massive disparity between users of comparative search engines affirms that competition is alive and well, as it is in the console space too. Maybe you should tell Phil Spencer.

So, if the CMA see's Amazon's position as virtually unassailable in Cloud storage, why wouldn't they also view Sony's position in a similar light WRT the gaming market?
To the best of my knowledge the CMA have never had to assess an Amazon acquisition related to the cloud but I would expect any such acquisition to potentially go the same way. That's unlikely to be the case though, because there are no cloud companies operating in the UK that Amazon would seek to acquire.

The same way Bing is not a serious challenger to Google? If Bing is not competing with Google then that affirms the point about big tech being unassailable once it has established dominance. If Bing is competing with Google then a massive disparity between users of comparative search engines affirms that competition is alive and well, as it is in the console space too. Maybe you should tell Phil Spencer.

To the best of my knowledge the CMA have never had to assess an Amazon acquisition related to the cloud but I would expect any such acquisition to potentially go the same way. That's unlikely to be the case though, because there are no cloud companies operating in the UK that Amazon would seek to acquire.

Seems an odd way to phrase things. If you are in a race the first and last place finishers are still competing against each other. The only question is if that last place finisher had any effect on the first place finisher. MS is clearly competing with sony for market share. It's just that MS hasn't been able to take any significant market share way from them. If we look at the market as 2 players in the high end gaming market then Sony has won every single one of them by extremely large margins except one.

PS2 158.70m , Xbox 24m , Gamecube 21.74m
PS3 87.4m , Xbox 360 84m , wii 102m
Ps4 117.2m , xbox one estimated between 50-60m , wii u 13.4m , switch 125.62m

If you want a healthy console market you ideally want these 3 companies to be as equally matched in market share as possible and if possible you would want another 1-2 players to enter the market. The issue we have is that Nintendo's market share is unstable. So much so that they have left traditional consoles behind as of now and are combined their successful handheld device with their home device. The other issue is that Sony has remained the dominate for decades now in the traditional console market as even the wii had movement controllers as the default.

What we risk now if MS exiting the console market entirely leaving it to just Sony if we use the Cma's market definitions. Hopefully the series line of console is able to continue to sell well and move past the xbox one numbers but if it doesn't then we might never see another console from MS.

We also know sony is happy to buy dozens of companies ranging in price all the way into the billions of dollar range. We also know they are willing to invest stakes into other companies like epic. The longer Sony retains market dominance the less likely another company will ever be able to enter the console market.

As for Bing vs Google , part of that is that fact that Google owns android and they have no restrictions on forcing any of their services onto companies that want to use android and some services. You either take android by itself or you take android with all of googles crap with it.

I am certain that if MS wasn't coming off the antitrust cases in the usa and europe they would have been able to match itunes as it was a god awful user experiance esp on windows. They also wouldn't have had to waste time with their play for sure initiative and could have simply made zune earlier. Just like I am sure if apple was banned from linking itunes to ios then the iphone would have continued to be a failure as it was the first few months of its life that required hundreds in price cuts until the store came out. I am also sure if Sony wasn't able to consumer electronics side to build and launch the playstation they might have found themselves in a different position

What like Sony getting to the console market first ?

But as the Great Brittany Spears once said "Opps I did it again"

In almost every one one of those instances the 1st mover lost. Google wasn't the 1st search provider. Apple wasn't the 1st phone provider. Apple wasn't the 1st portable music provider etc... Why so scared about MS being the first big Cloud guy? Doesn't make sense. The CMA is actually limiting competition by not letting MS compete with Sony in the console space. They're hurting consumers, mainly because they have an ideological bias to block big mergers.

Would MS even be considered the first mover? They weren't the first cloud gaming company nor were the first "big" company to pursue cloud gaming either?

I actually just realized when briefly looking into this the funny thing is Sony was the one who acquired the companies or the IPs of the earlier cloud gaming startups.

Would MS even be considered the first mover? They weren't the first cloud gaming company nor were the first "big" company to pursue cloud gaming either?

I actually just realized when briefly looking into this the funny thing is Sony was the one who acquired the companies or the IPs of the earlier cloud gaming startups.
The first movers either folded or Sony bought them

I'm sure the Chancellor will explain to Microsoft that the CMA is a NDPB under the Department of Business and Trade, not the Treasury. He will probably recommend that Microsoft use Google to find this information in future. :-|

Wait, you are telling me that Microsoft wants to buy a company that it's offered nearly 70B USD to acquire? And that they are looking for legal ways to do it? I can't wait for someone to uncover the mystery of why mustard is yellow.
Some mustard its yellow because they add turmeric, which is bright yellow. Mustard flowers are yellow, but raw mustard is brown. A very long time ago I did a brief stint in a restaurant where a chef made their own mustard.

Back O/T, this is exactly what you would expect Microsoft to be doing. They will be looking at every option and working out what the impact each, to determine what may be viable.

Back