Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Some of these definitely have legs. Starcraft has been around several decades but has had two outings. It's absolutely got potential to be much more. I'd really like to see a more story-driven saga of Starcraft as a grunt in a first person shooter. Equally, much of this list makes me despair that we could just be facing a re-churn of decades old ideas. I LoL'd at robot dinosaurs when Sony first showed Horizon Zero Dawn, and it was utterly stupid and I made so many posts where I said this was the stupidest things I've seen but it was a new idea.

I'm old so I remember loving the original Pitfall on the Atari 2600. It's not a franchise that has any legs, the guy's name is "Pitfall Harry", that is as much as they fleshed out the univsere because the game was made in about 11 weeks.

Please - for the love of God, Microsoft - I bought a Series X and you have so much money that a bunch of failures will not matter, but please let some of your best teams experiment in making something genuinely new. Pick a concept that makes 'robot dinosaurs' look like the safe concept to pitch.

@Silent_Buddha totally agree on this 'meta' and 'metaverse' buzzword.

How much of them (that are not active) are even worth reviving?
Heretic (Hexen was the sequel), Lost Vikings, Soldier of Fortune and Police/Space Quest for sure at least.
Hell. Just do remake of the original Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 with todays technology to allow shooting individual bloodveins or even smaller and I'm sold

Last edited:
Basically saying he's fine with Sony and Nintendo (subtext being that he wants them to continue making games and contributing to gaming) while he's less trusting of companies like Apple, Google, Amazon or Facebook respecting and treating the gaming market in a good way.

Also, I hate that "metaverse" is now a marketing buzzword or even a thing that companies are seriously pursuing. :p

Regards,
SB
I was hoping the Zenimax purchase was enough to scare away Google, Amazon and Facebook from the market. Hopefully this will keep them out. If you dislike the idea of having your games only available in the cloud you should want them to stay away as well. Microsoft might be heading in that direction eventually, but these other companies will accelerate the shift. Apple, I think might be here to stay though.

Please - for the love of God, Microsoft - I bought a Series X and you have so much money that a bunch of failures will not matter, but please let some of your best teams experiment in making something genuinely new. Pick a concept that makes 'robot dinosaurs' look like the safe concept to pitch.

Zombie Librarian Romance RPG?

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned for the hundredth time, but...

The list of IPs that could potentially be owned by Xbox following Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard includes:
  • Blur
  • Caesar
  • Call of Duty
  • Candy Crush
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Diablo
  • DJ Hero
  • Empire Earth
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Geometry Wars
  • Guitar Hero
  • Gun
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Hexen
  • Interstate ’76
  • King’s Quest
  • Laura Bow Mysteries
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Overwatch
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Pitfall
  • Police Quest
  • Prototype
  • Quest for Glory
  • Singularity
  • Skylanders
  • Solider of Fortune
  • Space Quest
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • StarCraft
  • Tenchu (legacy games)
  • TimeShift
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
  • True Crime
  • World of Warcraft
  • Zork

That Xbox Game Pass tweet when these Activision games go up on Gamepass is when this will all finally feel real.

Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 with todays technology to allow shooting individual bloodveins or even smaller and I'm sold
With the modern age restrictions and other things the game is gonna be too violent. Though we have Doom, however there we deal with monster which makes it acceptable.

That Xbox Game Pass tweet when these Activision games go up on Gamepass is when this will all finally feel real.
You don't mean all of them all, surely? I mean.. Pitfall, Kings'q Quest, Police Quest and Zork?

It'll be fascinating to see what Microsoft would do with World of Warcraft. I've not played it for ten years but I know people who do and Blizzard have running it into the ground. :(

It'll be fascinating to see what Microsoft would do with World of Warcraft. I've not played it for ten years but I know people who do and Blizzard have running it into the ground.
Devs just need enough time to do whatever they need. Also probably scale down some monetization. And if console release happens, WoW will receive influx of console gamers too (not sure how UI will be changed for them though)

As competitor's who might harm gaming by moving into a market where they have little experience or understanding (outside of Mobile gaming) but it's important to note he also mentions Sony, Nintendo and Valve ... as companies he trusts not to ruin the gaming market.

Basically saying he's fine with Sony and Nintendo (subtext being that he wants them to continue making games and contributing to gaming) while he's less trusting of companies like Apple, Google, Amazon or Facebook respecting and treating the gaming market in a good way.

Also, I hate that "metaverse" is now a marketing buzzword or even a thing that companies are seriously pursuing. :p

Regards,
SB

As long as they only sell their own games he's fine with them existing

In the end this is about MS wanting to be the one stop shop just like all the others.

Heretic (Hexen was the sequel), Lost Vikings, Soldier of Fortune and Police/Space Quest for sure at least.
Hell. Just do remake of the original Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 with todays technology to allow shooting individual bloodveins or even smaller and I'm sold

There are a lot of IP that would be great for new dev houses to get their teeth wet. Heretic/hexen doesn't need a triple a developer on it It can still be a great experiance as an aa game

Probably not high on others list but Blur would be amazing.
Forza MS - Simcade
Forza Horizon - Open world
Forza Blur - bat shit crazy arcade

Then could go on 3 year cycle supported with big DLC?

Be Intresting if they keep it an annual title.
They wouldn't need to, could easily do every 2 years and have a big FPS still every year for xbox for the holiday.

Then it wouldn't need so many support studios and MS gets diversity from them, side affect is PS misses out.
But I'm sure someone else will pick up that slack.
to be honest Phil statement can be interpret in many ways, also that warzone stay and they will fullfill existing agreements and after that no new cod ;)

Back