Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Phil's comments are easy to decipher because Microsoft's intentions are well known. Gamepass is the platform and everything will be done to maximize that as platform.

Existing communities = Everything through when the deal for the marketing expires. Desire = If Sony allows Gamepass on PS console, then future CODs. If Sony says no, then no COD. Its as simple as that.This is a 25-30 year gambit, not 2-3 years. Between now and the time this deal close, they will have made that 70 billion back. They are not sweating over this purchase.
yep. i snarkily replied to phil's tweet in the line of : for making gamepass on PS a reality. hahahaha

I heard this microsoft want gamepass on playstation, is there some new source of this info ? I dont know maybe that is true and maybe is win win for both microsoft and sony but on the other hand that would kill xbox tough microsoft for sure is more interested in selling gamepass than xbox as a hardware so who knows.

I heard this microsoft want gamepass on playstation, is there some new source of this info ? I dont know maybe that is true and maybe is win win for both microsoft and sony but on the other hand that would kill xbox tough microsoft for sure is more interested in selling gamepass than xbox as a hardware so who knows.
Gamepass on Playstation sounds like injecting the Playstation with a virus to me.
Its like Sony supporting a service which exists in competing platforms where they themselves will be getting less revenue on Playstation and they will be gradually transferring their users away from buying what gives Sony bigger royalties to a service that gives them less.

Gamepass on Playstation sounds like injecting the Playstation with a virus to me.
Its like Sony supporting a service which exists in competing platforms where they themselves will be getting less revenue on Playstation and they will be gradually transferring their users away from buying what gives Sony bigger royalties to a service that gives them less.
I dont know, with gamepass they would probably sell record number of consoles in history, has some % revenue from gamepass and still sell own exes and many other games outside of gamepass

As far as I know this is just educated speculation (I've had it myself, it's already come up earlier in this thread), based on some of Microsoft's past actions and possibilities with what they have.

Since Microsoft' entered consoles I felt they're approach should've been leveraging more of what they have and focus on gaming entirely instead of just trying to launch a console.

Just read a Sun article that said that in 2015 PlayStation became the home of Call of Duty it also became the official home the COD esports. Well, I don't see that being the case in the future. Once whatever contract they have expires expect no more exclusive content and betas for the PlayStation. Though I do think the recent statement means that there is a good chance Microsoft will continue to publish COD on the PlayStation just don't expect any special treatment or to be playing it on Sony's equivalent to Gamepass.

Call of Duty League switched to PCs for 2021, just with a controller instead of kb/m. Lower divisions are cross platform. It's worth noting that Activison Blizzards approach to esports has completely shifted since 2015 and away from the industry "norms." CDL and OWL weren't a thing back then.

Not really. It will more likely to less to Xbox slowly dying out. Let be honest here - Sony won't allow third parties on Game Pass. So it can only be first party. And Sony will continue having third party games so essentially Playstation will get all their own first party, all the third party and whatever games MS provides. MS will literally become a third party publisher and not even a platform holder. People generally don't switch platforms that much - so they will continue investing in Playstation platform. They wont't buy third party games from Xbox (because it won't have it) so all the transaction benefits that MS used to get from consoles will evaporate.

Not to mention Playstation own Spartacus service, that Playstation will make sure to limit Xbox in one way or another.

I personally believe that Phil won't put Game Pass on Playstation while Playstation as a console exists. And his original intent was because Xbox was in much weaker position.

Not really. It will more likely to less to Xbox slowly dying out. Let be honest here - Sony won't allow third parties on Game Pass. So it can only be first party. And Sony will continue having third party games so essentially Playstation will get all their own first party, all the third party and whatever games MS provides. MS will literally become a third party publisher and not even a platform holder. People generally don't switch platforms that much - so they will continue investing in Playstation platform. They wont't buy third party games from Xbox (because it won't have it) so all the transaction benefits that MS used to get from consoles will evaporate.

Not to mention Playstation own Spartacus service, that Playstation will make sure to limit Xbox in one way or another.

I personally believe that Phil won't put Game Pass on Playstation while Playstation as a console exists. And his original intent was because Xbox was in much weaker position.

You seem to be looking at the from the perspective that Microsoft would want Gamepass on the PS if it's on Sony's terms? They aren't putting it on there if Sony takes their cut of the revenue and has content control. The move, if it were the plan, would be to have Gamepass on PS on Microsoft's terms. Likely almost akin to basically "side loading" Gamepass as it's own entity.

The console hardware platform itself is also not the money maker. If Gamepass revenue still flows to Microsoft they wouldn't care if Sony is still choosing to subsidize future hardware for them while making less money themselves on software.

Pitfall one of my 3 most hated games of all time (platformers are my least liked genre), the other 2 are ghostbusters and some other famous game like ghostbusters where its a collection of shitty minigames set during ww2 (on C64 tried googling for it but no luck), OK found it 'beachhead'.

protip: if you have a shitty minigame making 10x the number of them doesnt make the game 10x better so its now a good game, its just multiplied the shit

I know some ppl liked ghostbusters and beachhead and pitfall, more power to you

aren't really very good in a modern context.
Im not judging it on modern standards Im judging it on what I thought about the game back in the early 80s, I loathed it at the time.
with platformers we go from Donkey Kong in 1981 to Pitfall 1982 :oops: (sure the 2600 sucked, the only ever console I owned but the premise of the game sucked)

hey but different strokes, obviously plenty of ppl liked pitfall, ghostbusters etc

Microsoft's Activision Deal Wipes $20 Billion off Sony Market Value in Day - Bloomberg

“Sony will struggle to match Microsoft in terms of money it can spend to buy popular game IP,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. “Falling shares illustrate investors are worried that Sony may not be able to keep winning if indeed the industry shifts away from the hardware-based model.”
MS stock lost $220 Billion YTD, and this deal contributed to that fall. In fact, MS stock has lost $80 Billion in the last 2 days.

Funny how only Sony's much smaller hit is everywhere on the news.

You seem to be looking at the from the perspective that Microsoft would want Gamepass on the PS if it's on Sony's terms? They aren't putting it on there if Sony takes their cut of the revenue and has content control. The move, if it were the plan, would be to have Gamepass on PS on Microsoft's terms. Likely almost akin to basically "side loading" Gamepass as it's own entity.

The console hardware platform itself is also not the money maker. If Gamepass revenue still flows to Microsoft they wouldn't care if Sony is still choosing to subsidize future hardware for them while making less money themselves on software.

If sony has a browser on the ps5 then it might not matter what sony wants. MS can simply support that browser and let fans just run game pass through there like on ios and windows

If sony has a browser on the ps5 then it might not matter what sony wants. MS can simply support that browser and let fans just run game pass through there like on ios and windows
You can already do this on an iPad, and Apple is a much bigger competitor to MS. I don't think it would be such a stretch to allow this on a much, much smaller competitor as Sony is, if we look at the bigger picture. Then again, there is no app to do that, you still need to go through the browser on an iPad, which isn't the best, but at least it works.

I still think that MS will rely on hardware too just like Apple has Apple TV. Whether it is a dongle or whatever.
Funny how only Sony's much smaller hit is everywhere on the news.
Because they lost 20% of the market cap. It would be akin MS around 500b at once. Literally COD effect was comparable to CCP going after Tencent. Also MS losing stock value due to acquisition (which was expected).

I still think that MS will rely on hardware too just like Apple has Apple TV. Whether it is a dongle or whatever.

Because they lost 20% of the market cap. It would be akin MS around 500b at once. Literally COD effect was comparable to CCP going after Tencent. Also MS losing stock value due to acquisition (which was expected).
Pretty sure they lost 5%, not 20%, which has already rebounded so *shrug* - EDIT: it dropped to a low of ~11% actually, but again that's gone up 4% already.

Last edited:
but again that's gone up 4% already.
I mean of course it will go up eventually. Because some damage control happened and so on.
I mean even big tech companies lost quite a lot of market cap recently - Apple was above 3b and now they are not, MS was 2.7 but they are at 2.2 now and so on.

Back