Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Another Klobrille illustration...

FJjMOcZWYAAP32J

Maybe if GP revenues passed Xbox hardware revenues, it would validate the Netflix of gaming business model.

At that point, they may be interested in offering GP on Playstation platforms.

Maybe even on mobile devices as well.

Has to be a lot more profitable than hardware.

I don't think GP would ever be able to have the number of subscribers that video streaming services have, mostly because there isn't enough capable hardware, unless they get that cloud gaming thing working well enough.

Here's something I wasn't expecting to see. Sales for the PC only Total War series is significantly higher than the multiplatform Yakuza series (includes the spin off Judgement and Lost Judgement). Warhammer did a lot to increase sales for Total War globally while Three Kingdoms massively helped the series grow in Asia.
Total War is bonkers popular. Creative Assembly knock out really high quality games at a good cadence, provide a good supply of DLC and port their games to a wide range of platforms (Windows, linux, macOS, iOS, Android, consoles). Leveraging other IP like Warhammer into Total War was genius.

I still see no point in that. To play on Playstation you need TV. So TV app or dongle is much cheaper than giving 30% to Sony.

It's the same reason people want their stores in other people's stores - immediate visibility. Some users don't venture out of the device's default store. It's like people who always buy digital games from the store without looking around for alternative legitimate sources of game codes, like Amazon. Getting 70% of something is better than 0% of everything.

I still see no point in that. To play on Playstation you need TV. So TV app or dongle is much cheaper than giving 30% to Sony

Only if people download the app or buy the dongle + buy a controller specifically or pair their PS controller to the TV. They're all barriers to entry.

Last edited:
Getting 70% of something is better than 0% of everything.
I would believe that Game Pass will come to Switch but it remains to be seen in what market will Nintendo competes in their next Switch console. But I don't see it coming to Playstation because it requires too much concessions from Microsoft - after all nobody believe that Sony would allow XBL market inside their PSN ecosystem. Nintendo on the other hand...But again it depends on the next Switch power.

I believe that ATVI acquisition changes power dynamics as when it passes, MS won't be a position where it should ask Sony of anything.

They may have additional bargaining chips now.

Tommy McClain

With dying light and control being cloud on the switch already it might be smart for nintendo to get game pass at this point. It can extend the life span of the switch esp if they get a curated game pass experiance that doesn't have the indie stuff

I noticed that The Initiative isn't listed on that graphic. There's a lot of talent at that studio that were formerly part of some other pretty prestigious and successful studios (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Blizzard, Insomniac, Rockstar, Respawn, Bioware, etc.).

OK, I see where he messed up. The Initiative is working on Perfect Dark, but Perfect Dark is listed without a developer in that graphic.

Regards,
SB

Has someone already pointed out that this deal would make them Microsoft the equivalent of Disney when it comes to first person shooters? Doom, Wolfenstein, Halo, Quake, COD. They are only missing Half Life, Counter Strike and Battlefield...and maybe PUBG. Just like Disney, they don't own everything from your youthful days, just most of it.
OK, this is "probably" not where MS is going to go with this, but ...

What if part of the reason for the acquisition was for MS to have a starting base (King) for "Game Pass Mobile". At that point Game Pass would encompass games on console, PC and mobile.

Thinking further, we know that Apple is in many ways a strategic competitor to MS and they have a subscription gaming service on mobile (Apple Arcade).

It kind of makes some sense that part of this acquisition might be about MS bringing Game Pass to mobile games.

It also makes me wonder if MS were talking to Zynga about a possible acquisition as well, but Take-Two obviously snatched that one up.

Regards,
SB
Microsoft was always going to need those types of games for gamepass and xcloud to expand their base IMO. They need to offer as broad of a variety as possible if they plan is going work. They need everything from AAA to mobile games on the platform. They already have some of that but now they have bought another company that specializes in it. Didn't Zenimax also have a mobile gaming branch.
I noticed that The Initiative isn't listed on that graphic. There's a lot of talent at that studio that were formerly part of some other pretty prestigious and successful studios (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Blizzard, Insomniac, Rockstar, Respawn, Bioware, etc.).

OK, I see where he messed up. The Initiative is working on Perfect Dark, but Perfect Dark is listed without a developer in that graphic.

Regards,
SB
He did it correctly, the diamond is the developer logo.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider regarding the topic of Game Pass on Playstation. With Activision purchase - that should pass with 100% chance unless some political element involved (though it would funny to see FTC arguing over Call of Duty monopoly) - MS does not even need to bargain with Sony anymore. Before the acquisition their problem - and need for Game Pass on Playstation - was the mass consumer market that flocks to Sony. So the default assumption was that MS needs Playstation as Sony will succeeded 100% and Xbox has no chance to compete with it.

But this purchase changes their position and give the possibility to change the tide in general if the cards are played right.

Alos MS really needs to grab Capcom - I know it won't happen and the best chance was years ago when Capcom was in trouble - but with Capcom they are pretty much would be unstoppable with all the IPs they would have.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned for the hundredth time, but...

The list of IPs that could potentially be owned by Xbox following Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard includes:
  • Blur
  • Caesar
  • Call of Duty
  • Candy Crush
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Diablo
  • DJ Hero
  • Empire Earth
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Geometry Wars
  • Guitar Hero
  • Gun
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Hexen
  • Interstate ’76
  • King’s Quest
  • Laura Bow Mysteries
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Overwatch
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Pitfall
  • Police Quest
  • Prototype
  • Quest for Glory
  • Singularity
  • Skylanders
  • Solider of Fortune
  • Space Quest
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • StarCraft
  • Tenchu (legacy games)
  • TimeShift
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
  • True Crime
  • World of Warcraft
  • Zork

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned for the hundredth time, but...

The list of IPs that could potentially be owned by Xbox following Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard includes:
  • Blur
  • Caesar
  • Call of Duty
  • Candy Crush
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Diablo
  • DJ Hero
  • Empire Earth
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Geometry Wars
  • Guitar Hero
  • Gun
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Hexen
  • Interstate ’76
  • King’s Quest
  • Laura Bow Mysteries
  • The Lost Vikings
  • Overwatch
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Pitfall
  • Police Quest
  • Prototype
  • Quest for Glory
  • Singularity
  • Skylanders
  • Solider of Fortune
  • Space Quest
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • StarCraft
  • Tenchu (legacy games)
  • TimeShift
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
  • True Crime
  • World of Warcraft
  • Zork
How much of them (that are not active) are even worth reviving?

As competitor's who might harm gaming by moving into a market where they have little experience or understanding (outside of Mobile gaming) but it's important to note he also mentions Sony, Nintendo and Valve ... as companies he trusts not to ruin the gaming market.

Spencer said he’s concerned about tech companies unfamiliar with the gaming industry barging in to the space, as opposed to the current, experienced competition against Nintendo and Sony.

“They have a long history in video games," he said. “Nintendo’s not going to do anything that damages gaming in the long run because that’s the business they’re in. Sony is the same and I trust them. ... Valve’s the same way. When we look at the other big tech competitors for Microsoft: Google has search and Chrome, Amazon has shopping, Facebook has social, all these large-scale consumer businesses. ... The discussion we’ve had internally, where those things are important to those other tech companies for how many consumers they reach, gaming can be that for us.

Basically saying he's fine with Sony and Nintendo (subtext being that he wants them to continue making games and contributing to gaming) while he's less trusting of companies like Apple, Google, Amazon or Facebook respecting and treating the gaming market in a good way.

Also, I hate that "metaverse" is now a marketing buzzword or even a thing that companies are seriously pursuing. :p

Regards,
SB

Back