MIA: Killzone PS3?

yeah it is obvious i posted something similar here recently, it would just get lost in the noise for a news / PR POV its better to spread this sort of stuff out over time.
ps3 is gonna sell out on day1 why on earth do they need to oversell it.
much better is to wait until the initial buzz is over + then start releasing info / hype,
ie add to the sony jugganaut momentum

It's interesting to note that the Halo franchise (2 games on Xbox and one PC port) sold at least 10 times as many copies as Killzone. It's like sending a 14-year old boy to fight a gorilla.

I dont think this discussion is relevant.

1)A Guerilla dev has stated many times in a Playstation forum that they arent targeting at making Killzone a Halo killer. They are making their own and unique FPS experience

2)Even if it's bound to compete Halo, it will only have to compete against Halo3's reputation and sales for the FPS crown. Previous sales from last gen dont matter for Killzone2

Hardcore gamers may be more aware of KZ because of the E3 showing, but most people don't even know that it exists. Halo on the other hand is a pop cultural phenomenon in the US as far as I know.

And it wasn't me who brought up the KZ-Halo3 paralel...

Even if it's bound to compete Halo, it will only have to compete against Halo3's reputation and sales for the FPS crown. Previous sales from last gen dont matter for Killzone2

All the reputation of Halo3 is due to what happened in last gen, not due to a tiny trailer with great music and a guy in a high-poly suit.

Laa-Yosh said:
Halo on the other hand is a pop cultural phenomenon in the US as far as I know.

Just do a search on YouTube or Google Video for "halo marching band" to see Halo music being played at school football games. Halo is truly mainstream.

Killzone is nothing like Halo. These two games play so differently.

Anyway, I was very impressed with the artwork on Killzone.

They at least have talented artists at Guerrilla.

I assume Killzone 2 will build on the squad based approach they took with Killzone. But for some missions you might have more than just 3 comrades. It is one of the things that made the original distinctive, but I can see how a lot of people won't have liked how it was implemented.

I haven't looked at the KZ2 trailer for awhile, but I will be disappointed if games on both the 360 and PS3 are not looking something like this by end of 2008.

I think there's a completely different story here, apart from the obvious (i.e. they'll wait until they've got something nice to show). Guerilla is originally a very small developer, much more suited to Killzone PS2 and the new PSP version than anything else. Right now they're finalising the PSP version, and the capacity to do a big PS3 project besides that is very limited. They will have started working on the PS3 version at the earliest say half a year before E3 2005, with at most the same amount of people that worked on the PS2 version.

Now, a while ago (as in somewhere Spring 2006), Sony infused a lot of money into the team, and they were allowed to recruit no less than 40 new people. Initially they tried to fill those in the Netherlands, but really, there aren't that many top coders around here - the gaming industry is still very young, and consists for a large part of Guerilla at that (which had fused together 2-3 other projects, among which Lost Boys). So that turned out to be a big problem, and they've had to look for talent abroad, willing to move to Amsterdam to work there.

So, my guess about how far along they are with the project is as good as any, but I don't think we'll see a game released before Christmas 2007, and they will be hard-pressed to show something decent by summer 2007.

The one factor I can't decide on how well it's going to contribute though, is Sony's new development setup, where they share development resources, code and what-not among all there SCE groups and regions. Guerilla should benefit from this and the state of current projects should allow them to catch up.

I personally think it might not be such a bad idea to licence the Resistance engine from Insomniac, and just focus on creating really great art for that, and let their techiest guys work on either hot tools, or further improving that already excellent engine.
:D WTH are you talking about. They are more than enough people AND.... they have their own engine. One of the most powerfull ones in SCEWWS ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well throw in a Killzone rumor since this thread has been bumped up.
Ravin1617 at GameSpot - YES I know what all are going to think after reading this post, "BS" But a Few weeks before TGS My friend who Use to work at Factor5 in Austin Tx Rang me up and told me about lair and what it would look like, I told him "sounds cool" and brushed it off my shoulders because for one i thought he was just blabbing his gums, Then TGS came around and at that time no one Knew anything about what type of Game Lair was except that it had dragons and riders.Any who Long story Short He was dead on exactly right on what kind of game it was and everything, so where does this link into killzone?

Well He called me a again today this time he was in Cali hanging out with some former "LostBoys" Developers, who merge with "Guerrilla games" back in 2000, well he was franticly trying to speak into the phone he kept on Laughing and saying "OMG OMG KILLZONE", any who another Long Story short, He apparently had got to see some of the game, and he told me that they plan to show the game sometime in OCT after Killzone Liberation has released on the psp, and he said to date he has not seen anything like this, "The game is 99.99% up to par with the 2005 e3 trailer, if not better, there is a volumetric atmosphere, and when something gets blown away, or a rocket is fired a trail of volumetric smoke follows it that you cannot believe,-" any who he seemed pretty pumped about the whole thing, also he mentioned game makes him really feel as though he watching a movie, as far as how the characters interact and plead for help when they get wounded or how they get mowed down by enemy fire, he says it's very eiry.
This guy could just be recycling the crazy fan guy's story, but it may be something to look forward to come "Gamer's Day" on the 19th in San Francisco.

It's a fun story if nothing else. :neutral:

-aldo

If there is one thing I've learned from the internet, it's that you should never, ever trust anything posted on the Gamespot forums.

If there is one thing I've learned from the internet, it's that you should never, ever trust anything posted on the Gamespot forums.

I think if theres anything thats certain, its that the PS3 is not capable of doing Killzone3 graphics in real time.

The volumetric smoke I can believe. There is a demo from like 2 years ago floating around demonstrating the type of smoke trails as seen in the KZ trailer. These were realtime and had realtime shadowing, very nice.

I think if theres anything thats certain, its that the PS3 is not capable of doing Killzone3 graphics in real time.
That too.
What a couple of buzzkills. If you consider that no game since Pong has matched its target render then surely Killzone must be due. :p:LOL:

The volumetric smoke I can believe. There is a demo from like 2 years ago floating around demonstrating the type of smoke trails as seen in the KZ trailer. These were realtime and had realtime shadowing, very nice.
Sounds pretty cool. It would be interesting to see if they actually have pulled it off.

-aldo

Are you remembering this?
http://www.gamasutra.com/gdc2005/features/20050308/erez_01.shtml
https://www.cmpevents.com/Sessions/GD/Interactive3DLighting.doc
https://www.cmpevents.com/Sessions/GD/Interactive3DLighting1.avi
https://www.cmpevents.com/Sessions/GD/Interactive3DLighting2.avi

All from a GDC 2005 presentation from a Naughty Dog developer. I think some of the first shots of Armored Core 4 had sprites like the above.

Might as well throw in a Killzone rumor since this thread has been bumped up.This guy could just be recycling the crazy fan guy's story, but it may be something to look forward to come "Gamer's Day" on the 19th in San Francisco.

-aldo

Sounds too good to be true. The target render looked so awesome I doubt its possible. But since as a gamer I always wished to get my hands on such an engaging, immersing, bewautiful realistic game I ll still have my hopes.

From the Killzone forums a developer gave lots of hints (but they were later deleted for NDA purposes) that they are doing special and great things with it, and that they are going to impress. I dont know how much but if what he was trying to tell is that they are going to reach the target render I ll wet my pants and have multiple orgasms.

Too bad they are so secretive because this title has probably created the most anticipations and impatience ever in history of gaming. People are eager to see how the hell it is shaping up. Its a mystery which I hope wont dissapoint.

just to pimp my game, it uses a smoke technique similar to that
a new demo (win+linux nvidia only) will be out on the 8th of this month
though ive now changed from a 2d texture to a 3d texture, it could still be improved a lot though but i havent the time to play with the parameters

Sorry, but if you really think that the PS3 will never ever reach the E3-target-render in realtime... well, I am laughing at you. But please, just remeber your comment. The future will tell us (YOU) the REAL story ;-)

Back