New PC Monitor Advice? [2020]

Discussion in 'PC Purchasing Help' started by BRiT, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

came across this video today talking about how OLED has lost to Microled. One of the reasons he gave is the introduction of HDR in 2015.

nice to know you are so happy with it. It's what I read and hear from people who have that monitor.

Have you tried the settings mentioned in the Techradar review?

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...monitor-review-high-performance-work-and-play

2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I wholeheartedly recommend you to use this trick, that's how HDR support improved a lot in Windows 10 in the last year and a half.

I decreased the slider, 'cos if you crank it up the screen is going to look too bright. Also, HDR content looks more vivid compared to SDR content, and this only helps confirming it. I set it at 27. You save energy, and the screen is only going to truly enable HDR when a HDR source is used.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3269591/windows-10-april-2018-update-hdr-settings.html

The HDR will show the difference between the two signals -SDR and HDR- in a youtube native HDR video against the rest of the screen, a SDR background.

Thus you have 2 colour spaces in 1: 8bit, less nits SDR and 10 bit more nits HDR. Great stuff.

#43 Cyan, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  4. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

When are dual layer lcd monitors going to become a thing? That is what I want to buy. I have been waiting for ages to buy a new monitor.

I would ike
    120hz
    Hdr via dual lcd.

I don't care much about the degradation of viewing angles since it is a monitor, but it seems that no one is releasing this even though it has been around since 2016 or so anD now hisense is putting it in a TV that is way bigger and likely cheaper. I don't want anything bigger than 30"really though so the small TV route is out.

5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

This Acer ET322QK fulfills 2 of your requirements. It's HDR600 certified, 32" and 4k. Not bad for such a great price.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.JE2EE.C01

6. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

I am in linux 90% of the time, only us windows when I have too.

7. Davros

Legend

/Davros now knows who he needs to consult when he has problems with wine ;)

8. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

I have been using linux since I built my first gen Ryzen system, and in all that time I have never installed wine.

9. Davros

Legend

If you play games it would be 1 less reason to use windows (for games that work)
    I use it the opposite way for games that have problems with windows 10

10. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

I use linux for gaming also, Steam proton does that very well. I also compile the latest kernel with Valve's fsync patch, Greedfall went from 20 fps in linux to 70-90 with the patch.

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

12. Davros

Legend

Woah nice but expensive, Price:£1,604.00 - £2,764.19 (according to amazon u.k)
    From the comments :

"Writing this after using for a few weeks trying to resolve the flickering issue when running at high frames. Even after diagnosing the issue myself and finding forums online, I managed to find Acer's official firmware update. Still, no luck, flickering literally makes you have a headache and eye strain. Fed up - want to return to Amazon "

"Constant fan noise even when monitor is off , fan noise ramping up and down on movies , hdr gaming is excellent but low response time ghosting occurs... i have aoc agon ips 27 144hz and no problems with that and colors not that Acurate compering to ips panel two minuses for that price thank you , will get my refund and try ips ultrawide without hdr :("

Cyan likes this.
  13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

:/ oops, I havent read the reviews but from the looks of it, it's the kind of monitor I could get if I were rich, despite the reviews. Also, it's just two reviews...., from like....thousands?

#53 Cyan, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  14. Davros

Legend

Cyan likes this.
  15. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I have an older Acer Predator (1440p 21:9) and have the "same" issue, maybe.
    Mine makes a terribly annoying high pitched noise which resembles a fan. Actually it's some coil wine instead. That would explain why theirs still makes the noise with the monitor off.
    But mine has a workaround which works all the time so all is great now (it was not before I discovered it) : you turn the volume of the speaker all the way to 0 and you're set, no noise at all. Maybe still valid for the newer model.

(I also have a Dell Ultrasharp 2560 x 1600 2015-2016ish era. Than one has incredibly annoying electronics pop-ing noises after you turn it down (while the electronics cool off for an hour or two)
    It's amazing what big flaws these >1k $ products can still have..

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

What about this one? oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-...ce=hatch&utm_content=s15813858751332rwua52421

Your pants are on the ground already.