MGS3: Subsistence, Online Mode trailer (6min)

oh my god....

Metal Gear Solid
is
Tissue Cuts

...that made me laugh so uncontrolably. It looks kinda fun, taking the Metal Gear Solid gameplay online. I can't wait to put on a stealth suit and take out some Mo Fo's!!!

That has to be THE BEST online gameplay i've ever seen....
I really wasent expecting this. I hope it plays as well as it looks and the graphics havent been sacrificed. I hope there's no lag.

mistan said:
That has to be THE BEST online gameplay i've ever seen....

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything different or special from that video that makes it the BEST online gameplay ever...

mckmas8808 said:
Maybe some of them won't and some will.

Who would be that stupid? Everybody and their grandmother knows about MGS and its trademark cardboard boxes. Heck it'd be fun to throw a grenade at the box.:LOL:

There was something special concernig the boxes.. I just can't remember what.

...or maybe it was the magazines. If you happen to come up to a magazine on the floor in an online play, that was put there by another player, your character sits down and reads it for a while and you won't be able to see anything other than the magazine or move for a while. It's like some "mine" you can drop to hinder other players.

PC-Engine said:
Who would be that stupid? Everybody and their grandmother knows about MGS and its trademark cardboard boxes. Heck it'd be fun to throw a grenade at the box.:LOL:

Thats the funny thing....imagine a level full of boxes. It will almost be like Wack-A-Mole arcade game. It will be cool to see what Hideo does with Stealth and the Boxes....because walking around in a box like that is pretty obvious....oh god..I just had a vision of having a huge firefight..then some new guy walks in between the battle in a box..:)

rabidrabbit said:
There was something special concernig the boxes.. I just can't remember what.

...or maybe it was the magazines. If you happen to come up to a magazine on the floor in an online play, that was put there by another player, your character sits down and reads it for a while and you won't be able to see anything other than the magazine or move for a while. It's like some "mine" you can drop to hinder other players.

That fricken rocks! Its that type of inventive ideas I hope he comes up with (with items pertaining to the MGS Universe). HK has a wacky sense of humour and it will be interesting to see what he does with it online.

Oh yes, that's it! There was this talk about that there'd be boxes across the levels, and you'd never know if there indeed would be someone inside the box or not until you peeked in :D
When you see a box you think "oh no, is there someone inside the box? Do I dare to take a peek... what if there is, will he shoot me?! If I don't peek hand there is someone inside he'll soon sneak up on me... but if I do peek then someone else could sneak up on me while I peek inside the box!!!!" :D

PC-Engine said:
Yeah but human players are not so stupid as to think cardboard boxes won't have somebody hiding in it. :p
HAve you ever played a MGS game?
Neither are the AI players in the MGS2 and 3. They do check the boxes if they're placed suspisciously.... do what's your point?
THere can be a box left in the game and you think there is someone in, while it is just abandoned box. In online game you are not always sure if there is someone hiding or not.

rabidrabbit said:
Neither are the AI players in the MGS2 and 3. They do check the boxes if they're placed suspisciously.... do what's your point?
THere can be a box left in the game and you think there is someone in, while it is just abandoned box. In online game you are not always sure if there is someone hiding or not.

Exactly, imagine a player planting a box in the open only to set the other team up. While he is shooting or about to throw a bomb at it, the player planting the box can pop up behind he and go for the kill.

Claymore in a Box! That'll show ya for peaking. :)

This looks like it could be a lot of fun, especially the 1 on 7 mode. My only worry is its being squeezed between MGS3 and now jumping to new architecture in the PS3, hopefully it doesnt seem too rushed. These guys stay busy dont they.

rabidrabbit said:

I have MGS:TS for GCN. My point? My point is when you play online like I have against HUMAN players there's a BIG difference. Have YOU played an online FPS? Finally who cares if you're sure or not since all you'd need to do is shoot at the box from a covered position and kill whoever is/isn't hiding in it. It ain't rocket science man. Heck it would be even more fun to snipe at the boxes from a window far away.:p ;)

While he is shooting or about to throw a bomb at it, the player planting the box can pop up behind he and go for the kill.

Throwing a grenade was just a fun suggestion. Besides how are you going to sneek up a player that throws a grenade and runs and hides? How do you sneek up on a player if he shoots from far away and constantly moves? You haven't played online FPS much have you?

Decoys in online games have been used for decades. Heck you can drop ammo on the ground and wait for somebody to come pick it up and just shoot them when they do no need for fancy boxes. The boxes are just recognizable items from the MGS universe to give it that MGS feel. Its purpose isn't some brand new awesome gamplay revelation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played online fps games, but you're right, I don't play them that much. Last time I played (UTk24) must have been a few months ago. Don't really like the traditional fps games.

Yea, that could be what makes the boxes useless in a gameplay. But then again I don't thinkthe mode in where the boxes will be much used in MGS3:Substintence would be a traditional deathmatch game.

I wonder if you played as a guard in the game, will your vision be limited to a certain distance. You'd see the environment even far, but not the SolidSnake or box he is hiding in until you get closer, so sniping wouldn't be possible.
With Snake having a 3rd person viewpoint like in 2 and 3, and guards having a 1st person viewpoint I can imagine the online sessions being more strategic than just mindless shooting as in most fps online games.

Actually it's very easy to imagine how the game could play.
If you're a guard, when you are facing the same direction as to where snake is and he's within your field of view, not hiding, you'll be able to see Snake and in addition you'll get the familiar exclamation mark or question mark and those sounds depending on the state of alarm.
You'll instictically start to either shoot at that direction or walk towards snake, even if you don't yet see him clearly. But at the same time you'll have to be careful not to make too much noise so the other Snakes' radars don't go to "reveal guard position" mode so you'd be more easily xposed to the other Snake players.
The player who is Snake also sees the gueston or exclamation mark and sound, so he knows he's been spotted by a guard. If it was just a guestion mark and he can hide well again before the guard comes close enough, he would become "invisible" to the gard player again as long as he exposes himself again.

I don't think many are even expecting anything revolutionary for MGS2:S online gameplay, most would be just satisfied with a standard fps online modes set in MGS world, That can be enough to make it "the best online game" ;)
But I see why you are quick to downplay peoples enthusiasm, that's expected.

I don't think many are even expecting anything revolutionary for MGS2:S online gameplay, most would be just satisfied with a standard fps online modes set in MGS world, That can be enough to make it "the best online game"
icon_wink.gif

But I see why you are quick to downplay peoples enthusiasm, that's expected.

Nah I just see somebody being impressed by a video just because it has MGS and online in the name and coming to the conclusion it's the best since sliced bread. ;)

I also see you making up all kinds of fantasy gameplay scenarios to try and make the game seem more interesting than other online games. Maybe you should apply for a job at Konami since I'm sure they could use your help to improve the online gameplay beyond BEST ever. :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
Nah I just see somebody being impressed by a video just because it has MGS and online in the name and coming to the conclusion it's the best since sliced bread. ;)

I also see you making up all kinds of fantasy gameplay scenarios to try and make the game seem more interesting than other online games. Maybe you should apply for a job at Konami since I'm sure they could use your help to improve the online gameplay beyond BEST ever. :LOL:

I think it has the ability to be a great online FPS (since they implemented the fully 3rd person viewpoint). All the quirkiness of MGS mixed with an Online FPS....thats what I want. But of course...it has the potential to fall flat on its face. I'll be getting Subsistence not only for online though but for the DROP DOWN CAMERA IN SINGLE PLAYER MODE!!!...ugh..I hated that top down camera view. Online mode seems to be a wonderful bonus.

PS: PC-Engine...your getting a little red around the dots :eek:

PC-Engine said:

Why do you always have something negative to say about something Sony related? The game looks fun online big deal. Why do you care to bring it down so much?

Back