Ghostbusters: The Video Game

http://www.psu.com/Ghostbusters--The-Videogame-Interview-Feature--a0006209-p0.php

PSU: By taking on such a famous franchise comes high expectation, how has the development team coped with the pressure?

Goss: We knew from day one that there would be a great deal of pressure to do the franchise justice. Our primary goal has always been to deliver a gameplay experience as captivating as the films.

At the same time, everyone on the team recognized what a huge opportunity this was for the studio, and for each of us to leave our own mark on the Ghostbusters universe.

It gave us a huge boost when the talent and Sony pictures told us we had really hit the mark in terms of obvious passion and a truly authentic experience.

PSU: The story of Ghostbusters: The Videogame is set two years after the events in Ghostbusters II. Can you tell us more about the storyline and the game’s main playable character?

Goss: The Ghostbusters have done well for themselves and are now under contract with the city of New York. When the World of Gozer exhibit opens at the Museum of Natural History, the Ghostbusters once again find themselves called to action to save the Big Apple.

The Player has been hired by the team as the new experimental equipment technician, field-testing Egon’s latest and potentially “less stable” gadgets.

PSU: The Ghostbusters films were high on comedy value, but there were also a few scary moments (okay, so were kids at the time.) Can we expect any frights at all or is the action/script and visuals largely tongue-in-cheek?

Goss: The Ghostbusters have always taken themselves very seriously, with one possible exception--Dr. Venkman, please step forward--and we have preserved that, so we don’t do anything overtly slapstick ingame.

One of our development pillars is to ensure that every experience is Fun, Funny, or Scary. This drove design and we put significant effort into making sure that we could build and sustain tension and then pay it off with some pretty effective scares.

Mind you, Ghostbusters is a pretty friendly Teen-rated game in terms of content, so we go more for the shock moments and situations than any gore. At times it’s been a challenge to talk some of our team down from the splatter ledge!

In addition, Goss also confirmed that there will be exclusive content for PS3 owners.

Check back for the full Ghostbusters: The Videogame interview later today.

Ghostbusters: The Videogame is due to launch June 2009 to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the movie.
It's a 4 page interview.

"Rule 2: Don't Look Directly Into The Trap!" Trailer

IGN's Ghostbusters: Tobin's Spirit Guide

Here is the intro movie to the game. :cool:

As for the exclusive PS3 stuff is that cause Ghostbusters are owned by Sony Pictures ? or the PS3 is lead platform on this game ?

LINK - PS3 Lead Platform

I don't know. I know PS3 is the lead platform via the interview.

I know the game's info movie made me feel connected to the older Ghostbusters movies.

Sony have bought the game off Atari, so now we can be confident what'll be lead SKU ;)

Sony Computer Entertainment will now be publishing Terminal Reality's Ghostbusters title in a surprise deal signed with Atari today, just one month before the game was set to ship, GamesIndustry.biz has learned.

Edit : Scrap that.

Multiplatform Ghostbusters release for US in June

Atari Inc's CEO and president Jim Wilson has told GamesIndustry.biz that Ghostbusters: The Video Game will be released on all formats in North America June 16.
Earlier today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe revealed that it had signed an exclusive deal to publish the PlayStation SKUs of the game in PAL territories next month, leaving the remaining Wii, DS, PC and Xbox 360 versions on hold.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/multiplatform-ghostbusters-release-for-us-in-june

It's a regional timed exclusive.

With the Blu Ray of the Ghostbusters movie also being released in june I wonder if Sony have any plans to do a Blu Ray movie and video game all-in-one pack?

Think I remember a past news release about movie/video game blu ray tie ins being a future possibility for Sony.

SCEE must have offered a lot of money. If teh Eurogamer most wanted is anything to go by, some ~5x more XB360 owners were looking to buy this game than PS3 owners!

SCEE must have offered a lot of money.

I mean... do they have that much to gain. Were The Ghostbusters very popular over there :?:

If teh Eurogamer most wanted is anything to go by, some ~5x more XB360 owners were looking to buy this game than PS3 owners!

Then they really just shot themselves in the foot. ;)

SCEE must have offered a lot of money. If teh Eurogamer most wanted is anything to go by, some ~5x more XB360 owners were looking to buy this game than PS3 owners!
How did you get this number? I only see one list, and that's with useless platform labels and no numbers.

So now they all have to buy a PS3 if they want to play the game in June. :cool:

Jokes aside, the article says Atari is short of cash and this may be a way of saving some marketing money by letting Sony take the cost during the slow summer period. The game will likely be out for the other platforms before the Holiday season starts.

I sort of suspect that the PAL version might have been delayed because... well, because Europe is used to delays, and that delay would mean Sony would miss the tie-in with the Ghostbusters Blu-Ray.

How did you get this number? I only see one list, and that's with useless platform labels and no numbers.
Registered Eurogamer users can add a game to their list of 'most wanted titles'. At the bottom of the Eurogamer article there are 76 XB360 owners listing this game as most wanted, and 16 PS3 owners. Of course if you didn't know the Eurogamer article was there, you wouldn't know to look! I saw the news story there first and posted here, but then followed the link to the GI source, which explains why I'm talking Eurogamer in a GI.biz article, much to everyone's confusion. ;)

I mean... do they have that much to gain. Were The Ghostbusters very popular over there :?:
I don't know any moreso than anywhere else, but it was a very popular franchise in its heyday. I'm certainly scratching my head as to why SCEE would do this, unless it was a cheap deal. But then why would Atari go with the sale? So there must have been a considerable sum invovled. In which case, why did SCEE do it? Maybe Crossbar is right, and SCEE reckon this is a platform mover? I guess there could be a large Ghostbuster fanbase of exactly the right demographic who haven't bought a PS3 yet. Give them the HD experience and game to go with it, it might see some interest, although I wouldn't expect much myself.

They should include a BRD of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon to go with it :D. And a custom case with the iconic logo and ECTO1 lights and siren.

I don´t find the deal with Atari that strange. Sony would be marketing the Blu-ray release of Ghostbusters anyhow. Combining the market campaign for the movie and the game sounds pretty rational to me.

Sony shares the ad space and probably expands the marketing effort somewhat in the PAL territories and in return gets a timed exclusivity. Atari concentrate their limited marketing money on the US market and still will sell pretty well in PAL.

I don´t think Sony expects Ghostbusters to move a significant number of units, but Sony seems to be building up a significant number of exclusive game titles this year and this will just add to that. I think it is the total sum of games that will move units combined with an expected price drop. We will find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know any moreso than anywhere else, but it was a very popular franchise in its heyday. I'm certainly scratching my head as to why SCEE would do this, unless it was a cheap deal. But then why would Atari go with the sale? So there must have been a considerable sum invovled. In which case, why did SCEE do it? Maybe Crossbar is right, and SCEE reckon this is a platform mover? I guess there could be a large Ghostbuster fanbase of exactly the right demographic who haven't bought a PS3 yet. Give them the HD experience and game to go with it, it might see some interest, although I wouldn't expect much myself.

They should include a BRD of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon to go with it :D. And a custom case with the iconic logo and ECTO1 lights and siren.

Not really that strange, and probably didn't cost that much. Atari is still going to publish the 360 and Wii version in the EU IIRC. Basically Atari got some "security" money, as they couldn't really tell how well it would sell in EU on the PS3. Now Sony get's a timed exclusive, which may help bolster their software sales for this game.

It's not like they purchased the game as a system seller, it was just an opportunity for them to buy publishing rights for their system. I don't find it strange or anything.

Not really that strange, and probably didn't cost that much. Atari is still going to publish the 360 and Wii version in the EU IIRC. Basically Atari got some "security" money, as they couldn't really tell how well it would sell in EU on the PS3. Now Sony get's a timed exclusive, which may help bolster their software sales for this game.

It's not like they purchased the game as a system seller, it was just an opportunity for them to buy publishing rights for their system. I don't find it strange or anything.

True,

It's no different than what SEGA, Sony and Nintendo used to do back in their day. Also MS has done a little bit of that this gen as well.

Regarding the game. So far it hasn't really piqued my interest yet. I'm a big fan of the movies, but so far the trailers haven't really given me the nostalgia I was hoping for with a Ghostbusters game...maybe the humor just doesn't translate as well.

Back