Ghostbusters: The Video Game

I don't know any moreso than anywhere else, but it was a very popular franchise in its heyday. I'm certainly scratching my head as to why SCEE would do this, unless it was a cheap deal. But then why would Atari go with the sale? So there must have been a considerable sum invovled. In which case, why did SCEE do it? Maybe Crossbar is right, and SCEE reckon this is a platform mover? I guess there could be a large Ghostbuster fanbase of exactly the right demographic who haven't bought a PS3 yet. Give them the HD experience and game to go with it, it might see some interest, although I wouldn't expect much myself.

They should include a BRD of the Real Ghostbusters cartoon to go with it :D. And a custom case with the iconic logo and ECTO1 lights and siren.

Atari's CEO said this: "We assessed the situation of the Ghostbusters franchise in Europe and saw that a united partnership with Sony was the best approach to maximise the long-term value of the franchise. We have an opportunity here to have first-party support behind such a significant franchise and the opportunity to then go back and publish the other SKUs later on."

As far as the other platforms in PAL regions, Wilson commented that their release would not depend on the success of the PlayStation versions and that an announcement would be made soon; it is expected that they will release later this year.

"We're always looking for opportunities to maximise our franchises, so if they arrive and we think it's the best opportunity to maximise long-term value, then yes, we'll consider it. At this point, were not having any of those discussions, but we do consider them," he concluded.

I wonder if this will backfire for Atari if European X360 owners see that it receives a simultaneous release in the US, but is a timed exclusive for Europe.

Assuming, of course, there's a whole lot of people looking forward to this game. I personally don't know anyone that's waiting for it.

Regards,
SB

I wonder if this will backfire for Atari if European X360 owners see that it receives a simultaneous release in the US, but is a timed exclusive for Europe.

Assuming, of course, there's a whole lot of people looking forward to this game. I personally don't know anyone that's waiting for it.

Regards,
SB

What kind of backfire can gamers give to publishers? Nothing will change.

My bad, I thought Sony had purchased rights to the whole game on all platforms.

Sony Pictures have always owned the rights to Ghostbusters. Atari are publishing the game by Terminal Reality and will retain publishing rights for all other versions in Europe.

Sorry to stir up old threads around here... I have been thinking about this game quite a bit, especially since I don't have the PC specs to run it... It seems that Terminal Reality has really done themselves an injustice by cutting corners on the PS3 release... I can't see how they can position their Infernal Engine as a superior solution at this point, I really have to wonder what the licensee's are thinking right now... All that aside, my biggest gripe is actually the Wii version of this game. While I know the Wii doesn't have the chops to put out what the big-boys can do, that game looks absolutely just a hair better than PS1... If they are positioning the Infernal Engine as something that is optimized for the Wii, you would think that they would try to make the game at least 50% as attractive as Resident Evil 4 or use some nifty Cell-Shading to enhance the cartoon inspired feel. Heck, they could've re-skinned Luigi's Mansion and had a better looking title... I just don't see how any 3rd party would take the Wii Ghostbusters game as an example of a great development engine...

Is the Wii version even built on the Infernal Engine? It was done by a completely different team with completely different assets using completely different technology.

The sad thing is that I'd be happy with RE4 with a Proton Pack... I wish they would've passed the Wii rights to Capcom... Maybe someone will import the Ghostbusters models into the PC version of RE4 just to see what that'd be like...

Played both versions, the differences aren't so great that it's game breaking. They certainly do look different, but not to the point where you could mistake one for a last-gen title.

Both play the same, etc, yada yada. Don't pass on this PS3 only owners, it's certainly worth the ride, even if you just rent / borrow it. It's worth the playtime.

Lens of Truth was a bit clearer in their review:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974

Graphically this was a very impressive game, if you’re playing the Xbox 360 version that is...The big issue was in the texture quality, and let me tell you it was a huge difference! The texture quality for the PlayStation 3 left us shaking our heads in disbelief...the PlayStation 3 seemed to have ½ the texture quality of the Xbox 360 and in other areas, even less....This is by far the blurriest “720p” game we have seen to date. If we had to guess, Ghostbusters on the PlayStation 3 is running at sub 720p...We also noticed some effects were missing in the PlayStation 3 version...As we transitioned from the cut scene to the game the Xbox 360 had some really low res textures displaying. In fact, the texture quality looked almost identical to the PS3’s textures, (without the compression) but as soon as we moved the camera the textures popped in. Now before you get all giddy we also did the same thing for the PS3 and of course it didn’t fix their texture issues...

Then, Mark Randell of Terminal Reality goes on about how great the PS3 is, how powerful it is. How the 360 only has 3 processors and the PS3 has SEVEN!!!!111ty!

When confronted with the abysmal quality of the PS3 version, he states:
MR : Personally, I want to show off our PS3 technology. We’re one of the few developers who love the PS3 and have a great time with it. We have great technology for the PS3 and we want to show it off.
So.. why didn't they?

He then goes off about how they reserved one SPE for the dolby audio and how they couldn't do this on the 360.

sigh.. developers
icon_rolleyes.gif

Just played through the demo. A shame it's getting all this negativity on the web, the demo was good fun especially if you are a fan of the movie.

To me the demo was a blurred mess. As for being a fan, I was never that big a fan.

but, yes, it could be fun, as the humour was trickling in, but I stopped playing midway as it was just too blurred and I wanted to chk out BF 1943 trial too.

Back