Metal Gears + Zone of Enders HD Collection [PS3/360]

Its one of the most amazingly fun mech games I have ever played if not the most. The fighting mechanics are very deep.
ZOE1 is just ok.
But ZOE2 is a masterpiece in every way. Short game but super worth it if you love such kind of games.
It captures extremely well the spirit of mecha manga/anime in both gameplay and art.
Who ever came up with the gameplay mechanics is a genious. The camera work and controls are unique and well thought to convey the mecha anime style fights. It feels so good that it looks as if the combat is choreographed even though it isnt. The boss fights are also brilliant

Thanx Nesh :) ! Will see if I can buy it during the sale ! After all, its gameplay GOD Kojima himself ! :p

ZoE2 is highly recommended, IMO. Never played the original, but the sequel was friggin fantastic on PS2. Not tested the PS3 port though.

Didn't bother with the port because I read that the framerate was crappy - which wouldn't surprise me due to the weak alpha blending performance of PS3 and the heavy exploitation of the PS2 GS (which excelled at transparent rendering) of the original game. Have they improved FPS somehow along with increasing rez...? That would be truly insane if that was the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZoE2 is highly recommended, IMO. Never played the original, but the sequel was friggin fantastic on PS2. Not tested the PS3 port though.

Didn't bother with the port because I read that the framerate was crappy - which wouldn't surprise me due to the weak alpha blending performance of PS3 and the heavy exploitation of the PS2 GS (which excelled at transparent rendering) of the original game. Have they improved FPS somehow along with increasing rez...? That would be truly insane if that was the case.

I think the new patch has improved FPS tremendously, or thats what I hear from people.

...On PS3?

That'd be awesome. ZoE2 on PS3, 1080P and near-60FPS would make the game a must-buy, pretty much.

This deserve some attention here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633946

Hexadrive shows those derps at High Voltage crap how to port a ps2, game

added: http://hexadrive.sblo.jp/article/71326168.html

The new version runs at 2x resolution, at least 4x higher resolution of particles(32x for the HUD elements), adds FSAA, improved post-processing effects AND runs at 2-3x the framerate of original port(and ostensibly, better than PS2 version did). But clearly - PS3 hw can't run PS2 fillrate effects. :p

How is this even possible...?
So all these while PS3 has the better real/effective fillrate than the GS-Edram monster of a PS2?

...On PS3?

That'd be awesome. ZoE2 on PS3, 1080P and near-60FPS would make the game a must-buy, pretty much.

Ues, the patch is ps3 only and u can read the results in the post above :D ! X360 owners have been left in the lurch !

Looks like i will buy it ! :p can't wait to check out what Kojima cooked up other than Snake !

Edit : just checked , it is out of the sale :( !!! Damn !

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this even possible...?
So all these while PS3 has the better real/effective fillrate than the GS-Edram monster of a PS2?
Maybe they're doing the transparencies and particle effects on cell. Theoretically it shouldn't be possible for PS3 GPU to get near the GS pixel fill rates, while fillrate might not be the issue the restricted framebuffer bandwidth would be. Clever programming gets around most of these issues however. :)

I recall the 8/16-bit computer era as the highpoint of clever programming, hardware simply got too powerful (and later with the PC, too diverse) to wring every last ounce of computing out of it. Consoles are still fixed systems though, so optimization obviously still plays a big role in creating great games.

Wait, what does it mean ? We get a new patch that fixes all the graphics issues ?
When is it coming out ?

They re-did the graphics engine entirely and the fps is now 60.
I think the patch should be available by now.

Still waiting for my PSN code :(

The patch was already out a few days back, I think.

Kudos to Konaimi for doing the extra effort and getting Hexadrive to basically re-do the port .

The article indicates 1080p @60fps in addition to corrected lighting and improved effects. Given what was possible, High Voltage Software just come off as disreputable or incompetent.

the patch wont come to Xbox forever?

the lack of AA was hurting my eyes.

If they redid the renderer in a major way, it's unlikely they'll do the same for the xbox IMO.

I ordered the Xbox version days before the patch was released, so I then ordered the PS3 version, and both arrived the same day. :p Now I have this useless 360 version and don't know what to do with it.

If they redid the renderer in a major way, it's unlikely they'll do the same for the xbox IMO.

I ordered the Xbox version days before the patch was released, so I then ordered the PS3 version, and both arrived the same day. :p Now I have this useless 360 version and don't know what to do with it.

x360 still has the superior ZOE1 if that matters....

Back