Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) E3 2006 trailer

mckmas8808 said:
No what we need is the HD version. I heard it's a big difference.

I hope so. I don't undrestand why they didn't make that available first day.

I'm spoiled with all the trailers being on Live and on my HDTV.

Never having played a MGS game, ever, I found the trailer to be quite interesting in terms of story.. I also thought it was pretty impressive graphically.

(I'd probably be more impressed if I could listen to it, but.. alas, at work.. so I can't)

But my question is.. What did we just watch? I'm not talking about 'in game' or CGI, or getting into any of those arguments.. More like a Madden Trailer.. Are we watching actual game footage? Or are we watching replays of game footage or Cut-scenes, or what?

I can't possibly imagine a game that allows you to actually physically do all the things the weird looking chick did to the robots on frog legs.

If you can actually do those things in the game, I might actually spend $500 on a PS3.

Tap In said:
I thought the animation, presentation and camera direction were amazing but I agree with the lighting and color tinge throwing me off.

also, it looks very soft filtered which I don't appreciate compared to the HDR vividness and clarity that I am now used to in next gen.

I guess it's a matter of taste and more about the art and I see that there is a huge cult following for the Japanese style, but beyond appreciating it for a short film, I would prefer to see more color and crisp detail.

Kojima is always with the colour filters.

The drab look was intentional because he's setting for a very depressing mood. This is snake's twilight game, his "final mission". There is sort of a sadness associated with it, visually, that can be accomplished by washing out the colours and applying a monochrome "like" filter.

RancidLunchmeat said:
But my question is.. What did we just watch? I'm not talking about 'in game' or CGI, or getting into any of those arguments.. More like a Madden Trailer.. Are we watching actual game footage? Or are we watching replays of game footage or Cut-scenes, or what?

haha..I was talking about this with a co-worker recently.
Its not a trailer (15 mnutes isnt a trailer..it's a short film. Thats alot of work)..but its not a game..(yet).

Its just Kojima showing his directorial prowess..I love what he does but I almost think he's showing too much in the form of these 10+ minute movies.

I'll definitely be more excited when he busts out 10 minutes of gameplay.

Seems people already found the 15 minutes video elsewhere. For those still looking for a place to get the full 15 minute "movie", you can download it all 84MBs here. Blim's site is fast, so if the other links go down or are slow give that a try.

All I can say is that WOW, the MGS games must really have been great, for essentially a 'movie' that isn't demonstrative of gameplay to have this sort of reaction from all of you.

I thought the graphics looked great, not knowing the series, I still understood the 'washed-out' coloring. And while I might not particularly haven chosen to go in that artistic direction if I were the creator.. I'm not, and it was kinda like Clerks. Once you get over the shock that the movie is in black and white, you don't even really notice it.

Knowing that it's a movie, and didn't demonstrate any gameplay at all, the only thing that you can really take away from the trailer is to hope that the movie was created with the actual game engine, so the scenes that were shown can be replicated during the game (even if from a different perspective)

RancidLunchmeat said:
... the only thing that you can really take away from the trailer is to hope that the movie was created with the actual game engine, so the scenes that were shown can be replicated during the game (even if from a different perspective)
the trailers for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater were done using the game engine. as such, there's little reason to doubt the Guns of the Patriots trailer was also done using in-game assets.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Never having played a MGS game, ever, I found the trailer to be quite interesting in terms of story.. I also thought it was pretty impressive graphically.

(I'd probably be more impressed if I could listen to it, but.. alas, at work.. so I can't)

I can't possibly imagine a game that allows you to actually physically do all the things the weird looking chick did to the robots on frog legs.

If you can actually do those things in the game, I might actually spend $500 on a PS3.

MGS games are all about story, yet they never take themselves very seriously (often reminding the player that it is just a game afterall). It's come to be possibly my favorite franchise over this last year of replaying MGS2 and playing MGS3 and 1.

The trailer is akin to a cutscene, and since its Kojima you can expect the game to look exactly the same (without the cinematic camera angles and dof -- same models and such though) -- that scene with Raiden isn't necessarily what you'll be doing in the game though, you'll be playing as Snake ... the old guy with the wicked camo suit.

To be honest, if you're playing the MGS games just for the gameplay you could quite possibly be disappointed, as they are very much story based. I play the game to get to the next cutscene or story element, the stuff between story information is just filler (although it certainly isn't bad, it's just not the reason I play the games... I generally like games with compelling stories or at least well told).

I thought MGS2 and 3 were two of the best games of the PS2 generation (high on the list, probably in my top 10 even)

RancidLunchmeat said:
All I can say is that WOW, the MGS games must really have been great, for essentially a 'movie' that isn't demonstrative of gameplay to have this sort of reaction from all of you.

I thought the graphics looked great, not knowing the series, I still understood the 'washed-out' coloring. And while I might not particularly haven chosen to go in that artistic direction if I were the creator.. I'm not, and it was kinda like Clerks. Once you get over the shock that the movie is in black and white, you don't even really notice it.

Knowing that it's a movie, and didn't demonstrate any gameplay at all, the only thing that you can really take away from the trailer is to hope that the movie was created with the actual game engine, so the scenes that were shown can be replicated during the game (even if from a different perspective)

Its a very different game. Its a game where you play and watch. You are playing in a story. Many might complain it has too many cut scenes and dialoques but in this game the story is as important as the gameplay. So some will be surprised that cut scenes and dialoques parts take as much from you time as the gameplay sections do

We are going crazy all over this despite that, because the MGS series is the only series that knows its a game. It lets you literally experiment with the world. You might constantly find things that make you "wow thats attention to detail" or the seond time you play it "what the? HA I didnt notice this the first time I playied it"

Small spoilers:
For example in MGS3 when you switch off the PS2, Snake is supposed to be asleep and his wounds and stamina are recoved. There was a part in the game I loaded after switching the console off and..... I was playing...in Snake's nightmare until he woke up :LOL:

Get Snake to eat rotten food and he gets sick, leave a planted arrow on his body and his wound will close with the arrow stuck on his skin.

You can experiment with almost anything. Even the enemy AI. The game has a sense of realism compined with a sense of unrealism (the fact that the game knows that in reality its a game) and this makes the 3D enviroment feel like a "virtual world" almost.

In MGS1 there was a boss that could read your "mind"(your input) so you couldnt do anything to hit him. He could also read some konami games from your memory card and make comments on them or comment on the way you playied the game. Unplug the controller from the first slot and plug it to the second and he wont be able to read your "mind" asking: WHY CANT I READ YOUR MIND?

After you beat him hi sais: "so..thats why I couldnt read your mind...you used the other..."

If you love complicated stories(its weird in many ways) with lots of depth this is it. Its the only game with anti-war messages and other stuff. Just check out the themes of MGS1 and 2. Genes and Meme(information) and how much these define the way you think and live.

899_0008.jpg

Loved the Octo-Camo. Awesome idea. Cant wait to see how its implemented in the game. Gotta hunch its gonna have a short battery life though. ;) Think they'll be using procedural textures?

Another possible hint toward changes in gameplay from the trailer could be fully destructable environments. Koji's inferred in several interviews he wants to focus less on graphics and more on advancing simulation/interaction of the game world. The way those Mini-Gears busted through the walls certainly goes in line with the "No Place to Hide" theme they've been emphasizing.

edit- And did anyone catch the great rib on Splinter Cell? Cracked me up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Norton said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that based off of actual technology in development by the military?

Could be, dunno. ;) There's already relatively primitive versions of optical camo being done, like the X'tal Vision stuff. Basically using a projection method of the background to feign translucency on the object. http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/projects/MEDIA/xv/images/oc-okugai3.mpg

Octo-Camo though, the suit is shifting its virtual pigmentation and texture (like a cephalopod) to blend in with the environment.

Fully destructable environments confirmed?

Via IGN forum...

As some of you heard there was a conference yesterday that covered MGS4, Gears of War, and Red Steel, I attended and I'll post some of the more interesting things Kojima said.

-Raiden will not be playable in any form.
-They have taken particular care in the way the Metal Gears move to make them feel alive.
-When one of the Metal Gear's busts through the wall its destroyed differently each time due to the new physics based destructable enviroments.
-The Solid Eye system is still planned for the final game.
-You'll be able to fight alongside the Arab soldiers you see in the beginning of the trailer.
-He intends to showoff what they've done with the gameplay at TGS.

Explains some of the slowdown perhaps.

mgs414eq.jpg

mgs420ws.jpg

A bit off topic, but didn't Apple just patent some tech where the whole screen is at the same time a camera. That combined with flexible screen tech - there's your camo suit.

Imagine this, Apple being one of the major military equipment suppliers in the future.
Get your iCamo suit and buy an utility belt accessory with iPod dock and places for five iShells. For a limited time offer, get the Santa Claus camo for $99.99 from iArms store before Christmas and get a free lanyard.

Wanna bet you can use your PSP as a secondary screen, as the small robot companion that was shown in the last years trailer.

Bad_Boy said:
Sweet info, thanks liverkick. Cant wait to use claymores and C4 in the game :D

Im thinking its almost going to be like a horror game now. Those creepy bio-mechanical Metal Gears stalking you in some bombed out middle eastern warzone, you hear freaking cows mooing behind a wall, then bam! :)

rabidrabbit said:
Wanna bet you can use your PSP as a secondary screen, as the small robot companion that was shown in the last years trailer.

This has already been confirmed I thought? I remember reading about.

rabidrabbit said:

Kojima keeps on hinting about PSP connectivity in some fashion. But he recently confirmed they wont be using the little bot for gameplay purposes (couldn't make it work to their liking apparently). I dont know if he meant just controlling it or what. I was kinda hoping it might be used for recon in certain circumstances, but I suppose that might constitute the "gameplay" they were referring to.

Back