Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) E3 2006 trailer

If this was the only game that came out for PS3, I'd probably still find myself buying a PS3... Holy crap.

One thing I hope for is the Japanese voices in the NA release... I like the western voice acting from the previous games (David Hayter is great), but I'd like the option (especially since size of game shouldn't be an issue on BR).

snake17sz.jpg

Love it. And I posted this so no one here will say that this video is downgraded.

I watched the full 15 minute trailer last night - holy mother... :oops:

That short trailer really didn't show any of the impressive stuff... it's simply amazing what Kojima is pulling off here: The art-direction, the animation, the attention to detail and the character design to music / sounds... pure genious. After watching this, I really don't care about the price anymore! I need one, now! :oops:

I love it.
It's a brave move by Kojima to make an action game where most of the characters are old men :D This is certainly different!
I'm glad there's still creativity in videogame storylines/characters. I know I'll enjoy watching this game as much as I'll enjoy playing it.

Not sure I like the big two legged walker robot-animal things, in the previous trailer they looked very cool, but in this trailer their exaggarated jumping and wall climbing abilities looked (unintentionally?) comical in places. Didn't like the Raiden bit at the end that much for the same reasons, and there the animation seemed to suffer most.
btw... does Raiden have a huge bulge or what (and is he wearing G-strings over his bodysuit?)?? , maybe we get an explanation to that scene with the president and Raiden on MGS2... !?!?!

The animation and framerate seemed to suffer quite badly in the most busy action scenes, but I'm confident they'll be able to polish it for the release.

The PS3 trailers this E3 have rejuvenated my fading exitement in gaming again :) I never wish summer would be over soon, can't wait for November and especially MGS4 sometime 2007!

rabidrabbit said:
Not sure I like the big two legged walker robot-animal things, in the previous trailer they looked very cool, but in this trailer their exaggarated jumping and wall climbing abilities looked (unintentionally?) comical in places.

That's actually the thing that impressed me most about the trailer: I think I can see myself being quite frightened when playing - as illustrated, there's really no way to hide. The robots have a frightening ability to move very quick and as it seems anywhere... from through walls to climb up buildings, meaning no matter where you go or hide, you're not safe.

Kind of reminded me of the movie War of the Worlds which passed on that fear rather nicely. MGS4 could be the most authentic war-zone like experience yet in a game IMO. Not simply mindless shooting with big guns, but actually a game where you are scared to move to quick and shoot, because anything you do, could give your position away...

Phil said:
Kind of reminded me of the movie War of the Worlds which passed on that fear rather nicely. MGS4 could be the most authentic war-zone like experience yet in a game IMO. Not simply mindless shooting with big guns, but actually a game where you are scared to move to quick and shoot, because anything you do, could give your position away...

Yep. And did you see the new camo suit? My god it's going to be great to blend in with every and anything around me.

Hey, am I the only one that finds the trailer unimpressive? I don't mean to rain on anyones paarde, but I just don't like the graphics very much. The colors are really green, and drab, the bloom effects remind me of GRAW on PC (replace orange haze with green/brown haze), very incosistent framerates, etc. Actually really reminds me of MGS3 (doesn't look much better to me honesetly), which I didn't like so much (couldn't get into it), and the thought of another 30fps MGS makes me shudder. I LOVED MGS2, one of my favorite games of all time (probably #1 or #2). The sunlight, the birds that crapped everywhere, the rain, oh man, what an amazing game. I'm hoping for a futuristic, modern industrial style on this MGS, and it seems to be more of a Arabian desert look. I understand that the framerate will be improved, but I cannot stress how important 60fps is in this game. I usually don't care about framerate, but in MGS, I guess because of how important the cinematic aspect is to the game, I need smooth framerates.

Plus, I was expecting something that looked better than last year's trailer. This looks worse to me, and though texture quality has been upped a bit, it looks drab to me. I actually loved the graphics of the first trailer, the sweat on snakes face, the exquisite modeling of his suit, his chin folds. This time everything looks, like a game for lack of a better term. However, my tune may change when I get my hands on a retail copy. I'm really hoping Kojima can make the visual style appeal to me, because he is my favorite game director, and MGS2 was a complete masterpiece. That being said, I'll play it for the story, no matter what.

Well I can tell you this. Snake's facial quality hasn't dropped one bit. Keep in mind at GDC Kojima was showing off Snake's model so he had alot of close ups. In this trailer when close ups happened they looked the same as last year's trailer. Look at this.

E3 2006
snake17sz.jpg

TGS 2005
stounge9by.png

Last edited by a moderator:
pakotlar said:
Hey, am I the only one that finds the trailer unimpressive? I don't mean to rain on anyones paarde, but I just don't like the graphics very much. The colors are really green, and drab, the bloom effects remind me of GRAW on PC (replace orange haze with green/brown haze), very incosistent framerates, etc. Actually really reminds me of MGS3 (doesn't look much better to me honesetly), which I didn't like so much (couldn't get into it), and the thought of another 30fps MGS makes me shudder. I LOVED MGS2, one of my favorite games of all time (probably #1 or #2). The sunlight, the birds that crapped everywhere, the rain, oh man, what an amazing game. I'm hoping for a futuristic, modern industrial style on this MGS, and it seems to be more of a Arabian desert look. I understand that the framerate will be improved, but I cannot stress how important 60fps is in this game. I usually don't care about framerate, but in MGS, I guess because of how important the cinematic aspect is to the game, I need smooth framerates.

Plus, I was expecting something that looked better than last year's trailer. This looks worse to me, and though texture quality has been upped a bit, it looks drab to me. I actually loved the graphics of the first trailer, the sweat on snakes face, the exquisite modeling of his suit, his chin folds. This time everything looks, like a game for lack of a better term. However, my tune may change when I get my hands on a retail copy. I'm really hoping Kojima can make the visual style appeal to me, because he is my favorite game director, and MGS2 was a complete masterpiece. That being said, I'll play it for the story, no matter what.

MGS game's have always had a colour to em, everything in the PS1 orignal had a blue tinge to the game, and it looks like greeny yellow in this game. Its just his style

mckmas8808 said:
Well I can tell you this. Snake's facial quality hasn't dropped one bit. Keep in mind at GDC Kojima was showing off Snake's model so he had alot of close ups. In this trailer when close ups happened they looked the same as last year's trailer. Look at this.

snake17sz.jpg

yeah, it's true, it looks good, high poly... i can't put my finger on it... like look at the mustache for instance. it looks like a low poly model with a 512*512 texture on it. I know, nitpicking, but not impressive to me. Also there is a general contrast problem that would easily skew my perception, but I've heard this was a general problem at the show with ps3 demos.

like, how should I put it. if this were to come out on computer, I would be happy. but I was expecting more from ps3. kojima said (e3 2k5) that the old trailer was based on a very rushed build. i was expecting a good leap in this version, but haven't seen it. there are some outstanding moments, like Raiden, who looks amazing, and Otacon (amazing shadow/lighting), some I'm reserving my judgment. And also, I am generally always impressed with Kojima (MGS3 wasn't my type of game, but it was also on a then outdated system, and he pushed as much as he could out of it) so I have great faith in the final piece. If this was Ninja Theory for instance, I wouldn't be optimistic...

Kidding Deano, nAo. Kidding (Heavenly Sword looks stunning).

I thought the animation, presentation and camera direction were amazing but I agree with the lighting and color tinge throwing me off.

also, it looks very soft filtered which I don't appreciate compared to the HDR vividness and clarity that I am now used to in next gen.

I guess it's a matter of taste and more about the art and I see that there is a huge cult following for the Japanese style, but beyond appreciating it for a short film, I would prefer to see more color and crisp detail.

Tap In said:
Ialso, it looks very soft filtered which I don't appreciate compared to the HDR vividness and clarity that I am now used to in next gen.

No what we need is the HD version. I heard it's a big difference.

Back