Me and the puppies, now it's war!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Ok, that's it...it's officially a war now. :devilish:

I was in the backyard with them watching them, Lulu looked at me and wagged her tail then turned and jumped straight up on the fence behind her and pulled herself over. Rascal bound over and kicked off on the fence, grabbed the top, and did the same thing before I could take two steps.

They were NOT good about coming back, I ended up chasing them down the bike path pretty much to MM's house (a fellow EBer who lives about 2-3 blocks away) where I finally caught Rascal and carried her home. (Lulu or Rascal follows me if I have one of them, they travel in a pack)

Carrying a kicking/squirming 45lb puppy home for a couple of blocks gets you lots of waves and smiles, but does absolutely NOTHING good for ones disposition. :?

I resisted my urges and gently put Rascal inside with Lulu rather than flinging her, then grabbed a 4'x8' piece of lattice work that's been sitting in my garage for about 8 years left over from my porch project. Pulled out my circular saw and cut it roughly in half, (it's lopsided as hell, I was mad and in a hurry), and then positioned each half across the top of my fence wedged 'tween the post and the fencing material. It holds itself up and in at about a 30 degree angle.

I got done, got cup of coffee, quickly told my wife the story as she was rushing out the door to work and made her blow coffee out her nose, and then I took the puppies out to see me handiwork.

There was no dicking around this time, Lulu saw it and knew what it meant. She looked at it, looked at me, and then ran straight at the wall and hit it midpoint and tried to grab the top to pull herself over but clonked herself on the lattice work instead and came down inside the yard. Rascal did the same thing. Then they both tried it a couple of more times then turned to me and started barking in frustration to my evil cackles.

Then Lulu moved down to a section of the fence I hadn't put the urban barbed wire up on yet and I grabbed her midleap and carried her in.

I'm heading over to the Lowes site to order a dozen sheets of 4x8 latticework, that should let me do my whole yard and REALLY piss the puppies off. :devilish:

(Oh, and I got a buddy who works in concrete who is going to help me lay an additional driveway/parking area on my lawn and we're going to lay a concrete base around the fence perimeter while we're at it...I'm tired of chasing the damned puppies!)

Beasts, I got three puppies and a dog. (Plus two cats since I am a cat person after all. ;) )

Sorry for just cutting & pasting some quotes from EB, but I wasted all morning putting in a order to be delivered from Lowes and now the kids are up and I gotta feed em. :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer said:
Woo-hoo! Change that to about 24 2'x4' sections of lattice and barely any cutting involved. 8)

(46322 if the link asks you for a zip code)

Mebbe I could find some cheap edging stone too....
digitalwanderer said:
Fuck it, I am tired of chasing them and they've seriously pissed me off for the last time, I picked up a hundred of these edging stones to keep 'em from going under it too.

They only had 8 of those 2x4 lattices, so I picked up 9 4x8s too. (I'm still thinking of adding some puppy windows to the fence so they can see outside of it.)

A couple of pairs of gloves for me and whoever I con into helping me (Harry), as well as a couple of sets of kids gloves so they can be involved too. (And so I can keep an eye on 'em, where 'em out...I learn, albeit slowly)

What ya doing today MM? Just & Maddy just got up and I'm pretty sure Just would love to see Bryce later, you wanna bring your laptop over sometime and we'll fix it up? (I can't leave the house, waiting on the UPS guy)

So what about this third puppy? He/she the one that watches the other two go over the fence and sorta chuckles quietly to herself in the corner, planning world domination?

DW you might not believe this, but I have a dog who used to jump the fence of her run, it was 4-5' and she is only 20 lbs, but anyway I just stood there with a piece of bamboo and thwacked her on the back as she jumped once, and she never ever jumped out again. It was a flimsy piece, not like I destroyed her or anything, but the end was broken so it made a loud noise and as you probably know the noise is half the effect to a dog.

In any case it might not work for you, and it doesn't seem you need it now, but some dogs learn easier than others.

oh and check your pm

A lot of biiiig unfenced yards in our neighborhood, and lots of doggie families, who do play dates and the whole thing. Most of them seem to prefer invisible fences, and they seem to work very well.

My dogs "roam free". The weiner dog stays close, but my terrier disappears for 20-30 minutes at a time. There's no fast roads around, so we haven't been too concerned.

We've got a few people that have invisible fences and claim they work well, but a friend of mine has two goldens and they simply run through the fence on their way to freedom.

RussSchultz said:
We've got a few people that have invisible fences and claim they work well, but a friend of mine has two goldens and they simply run through the fence on their way to freedom.

Oh Goldens...all that pure breeding takes the intelligence right outta them. Friendly as ever, but dumb as a stump. ;)

I agree a bit about pure breds, but most pure bred labs I've met have seemed on the intelligent and friendly side....one of my favorite breeds.

My all time favorite breed though is the mutt, I just got too much heritage in common with 'em.

My wife hit the roof when she heard about my order, I guess we're in a bit of a financial pinch and it ain't the best of times. She asked/told me to cancel the order and I honestly intended to, up until the damned dogs jumped the fence on me again this morning when I was 3 feet away from them and I couldn't catch them before they got over. (And no, I don't move all that slow....I can cover short distances real quick, it's my endurance that sucks)

The order is staying, I am building my puppy gulag. :devilish:

digitalwanderer said:
The order is staying, I am building my puppy gulag. :devilish:

so that makes you puppy Stalin? :LOL:

here....for your new avatar...

stalin.jpg

Do it!

S&W%20357%206.jpg

+

One of the puppies

Puppy.jpg

=

A sane and permanently engraved, albeit somewhat traumatic, lesson in the mind of your other animals... And kids, wife and neighbours too (Two birds with only one .357 bullet).

Guys, guys...you forget I love me pups and want to raise them to be creatures of utter and complete love and trust.

"Kicking their assess" ain't a part of that theory-o-puppy-raising for me.

I got the inside of the house ready for their training, but it won't do shit if I can't put them in the backyard and trust that the backyard can contain them....THAT is what I gotta fix now.

I think I'll paint the living room before I tell my wife about not cancelling the order though, I am a cowardly bastard like that at times.
icon_redface.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wenesday is the delivery date for my fortress-o-puppyhood. My wife works 14 hours, I got me best laboring buddy lined up for the day, and I got enough gloves/tools/supplies that we should be able to whip it all together in a day. (knock wood)

I've given up worrying about what my wife thinks about the price, not doing it would cost us waaaaay too much!

I just posted up my latest mis-adventure with the pups over at EB, here it is:

Sweet jeebus, am I an idiot!!!! :oops:

I just got done taking out garbage & recyclables, (which was about a 45 minute job of heavy labor due to missing last weeks garbage day with the added bonus of all me living room flooring garbage....along with the disgusting picking up of puppy poop bags. :rolleyes: ), and the pups were going nuts to go out so I let them.

5 minutes later Lulu hops the fence with Rascal on her heels. I literally caught Rascals hind leg as she was going over, but was afraid I'd dislocate/break it if I held on to her that way.

So I start hoofing it around calling their names. I keep seeing them, they keep tearing up to me and circling with idiotic grins on their faces in total spasmo mode and go running off again.

I find them next across 5th Street, the street I live on and a fairly busy one. Rascal runs right across as I approach and Lulu sees her going so of course takes off too....but doesn't see the suburban coming and it don't see her. :?

So I ran out in the street in front of it to grab her and they locked up their brakes and stopped to avoid hitting me. :oops:

They came right into the house after that, and I realized what a totally stupid and idiotic thing I had just done....but I wasn't thinking so much as reacting, y'know?

I will make that damned backyard puppy-proof, this is simply not acceptable.

I will not let my animals get hurt if I can help it, but there is NO WAY I should be risking my life for 'em and I just know that I'd do it again if it happened again.....$300 is nothing compared to that.

Back