Made my PC 100x quieter with upgrades to the PSU, HS+F, GPU

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
My PC was so loud that it finally drove me to some upgrades to cut down on noise. The difference is night and day. Before, my system sounded like a vacuum--now it is quieter than my brothers AMD64 3200+. Here is what I did:

HSF: I originally had an Aeroflow HSF which was very loud. When I put this in I literally felt like I installed a vacuum.

I replaced this with a XP-90 for $30 (with a 92mm fan) from jab-tech. I replaced the stock Vantec fan with a Panaflow 92mm L1BX for $7. Installastion was a BREEZE (especially compared to how hard the Aeroflow was to install).

Result: MUCH quiter, plus it reduced my load temp 20*C! :oops:

Videocard Fan I have an eVGA 6800GT. The fan has gotten progressively louder, so I replaced it with a Zalman 700cu for $30 at case-mod.com. Installation was a PAIN (grrrrr... I had to use 5 different screwdrivers to get the right torque to undo different screws, spent 15min cleaning off sticky glue, the 2pin fan plug would not release do the enture unit had to be removed, and my bad I did not get the molex connecter in well when putting back in) BUT the results are great. I selected the 5W "silent/no vibration" mode over the 12W mode. I chose the Zalman over the VGA Cooler series because of complaints of the fan starting to whine over time.

Result: It reduced my load temps by about 10*C AND is near silent. :oops:

PSU I had a 2yo generic PSU (my bad I know) and the fans were getting louder and louder. I replaced this with an Enermax NOISETASKER 470W from case-mod.com for about $85. No real use comparing... great PSU so far. Highly regarded at silentpcreview.com.

Result: Near quiet. More cables. Better airflow with 2 fans. Runs after shutdown to remove hot air from case. Did I mention near quiet?

Rounded Cables I have 1x DVD/CDRW, 1x DVD+-RW, 1x WD 74GB SATA Raptor, 1x Maxtor 80GB 8MB cache, and 1x FDD in my system. I was able to replace all those ribbon cables with rounded cables for ~$20.

Result: Better airflow and looks a lot nicer.

CONCLUSION: My system is near quiet. I cannot hear it over my brothers computer across the room. The only noise is the very very VERY light "hum" of air slowly being pushed out of the case.

I thought making a high end PC near quiet would be hard--I was wrong. With the right parts and a little planning a normal *generic* case can cool down performance parts. I also thought I would have to sacrifice temp for noise reduction--I was also wrong there. Not only is my system quieter, it also runs a lot cooler (20*C CPU, 10*C GPU).

So, if you are bothered by the noise of your performance PC and spend a lot of time on your PC do not think you must get watercooling, phase change, or some extravagent upgrade to cool your system and make it quiet. You CAN air cool your system and keep it fairly quiet AND cooler than stock cooling for a small investment.

And the nice thing is that the HS+F and PSU will go in to my next system 8)

System Specs (for those wondering what I was working with):

• Generic Case
• Intel P4 2.533GHz OCed to 2.85GHz
• Asus P4PE MB (FSB set to 150MHz)
• 1GB (2x512MB) DDR400 Corsair Value Ram
• Vantex Aeroflow HSF => Thermalright XP-90 + Panaflow 92mm L1BX
• 6800GT eVGA => added Zalman 700cu
• Stock 350W PSU => 480W Enermax Noisetasker
• HDD: 1x 74GB WD Raptor SATA; 1x 80GB Maxtor 8MB cache
• Optical: 1x DVD+-RW; 1x DVD/CDRW
• SB A2 ZS
• FDD

The system is 2 years old less the video card which was added Augest (replaced a Radeon 9700). For being 2 years old it really is holding its own in the market--CPUs really have not advanced much and still do not look to advance much in the next 12months. When Longhorn and Multicore CPUs start taking hold in 2006 I will be ready for a new upgrade but I see this system doing well through the fall and into 2006--and with the sound reduction I am VERY happy with the performance/noise ratio :)

Some great choices you made there it seems, Ace!

I just put on the Zalman flower heatsink that I bought the other day on my 6800 (only about an hour ago actually), I ran Nvidia's own overclocking tester earlier today and it suggested 436MHz core and 824 for RAM with stock cooler, which is some piddly horrible thing on the core and ZERO on the RAM.

...Well, to make a long story short :)P), that wasn't eeeeeeentirely stable (heh), so I thought it time to void the warranty on the video card after one day of receiving it! :D The Zalman was pretty easy to bolt onto the card IMO, worst was getting the stock cooler OFF, because some smartass person had glued the fan power cord to a capacitor near the PCIe connector. A bit of careful snipping with a plier managed to separate the two without severing the cord. Zalman's excellent instructions were a big help, because without them I would have assembled it in the wrong order and sat there bitching and screaming over it for half an hour. :D I'm a fairly practical person when it comes to THINKING how things should be done, but I shouldn't always be the one actually DOING them. ;)

Anyway, I got the thing attached without any fuss really and then it was just the matter of puzzling this BIG HEAVY thing back into the case! Easier said than done because of the huge BTX heatsink shroud occupying a large volume of the case's innards... Anyway, I did get it in there after having fiddled around a bit, attached the power connector to a 5-volt socket (the two 12V sockets were already taken by my heat-sensitive exhaust fans), powered it up again.

I gave it a good run-through with the case open. Two of Humus' demos running simultaneously in separate windows made core temp rise to 75 degrees, and even the tips of the heatsink were noticeably warm. Then I put the side panel back on again and let it run some more. Still seemed to work fine. Closing down the thing, I watched in amazement as core temp dropped down to "only" 54 degrees - down from 69 with stock heatsink! Quite a difference I have to say. And dead silent.

Now I will push further into the land of overclocking I think... 3DMk2003 funked out on me when game test 1 peaked over 1000FPS at one point. :p Will see if the new heatsink manages to get it over this hump, or if I'll have to dial down on the speed. Still, stock clock is 325MHz, if it works stable at 436... OH MAN, that's some serious horsepower there! Might not actually have to upgrade the vidcard for a while if it works, heh heh.

Nice upgrades, Acert. Silence is golden, and the little bit extra in time and money spent on these quieter components is repaid with an unobtrusive PC.

I've heard the new Raptors aren't that loud, but I'm surprised you can't hear either HD over your current fans. Any complaints about them?

All your upgrades look like ones I'd make, save maybe the PSU. Those 80% efficient Seasonic PSUs that SPCR has been reviewing look very tempting.

Can Thermalright do any wrong? :) I've been using my SK7 without problems for two years. Now I'm using it with that Zalman fan arm and 90mm fan set to 5 or 7V, and it's still keeping this 2400+ at reasonable temps. I don't see how the XP90 can be bad, as it's just a bigger SK7. :)

Still, if you've got the room, the XP120 looks wicked. :devilish:

Guden Oden: The Zalman Flash Instructions online are great. My only problem was getting the HSF assembly OFF. That was a pain.

JVD: The XP-90 is great from my experience. But do not take my word at it, read some reviews--they all sing its praises. And it is really easy to install. And it is flexible: Want peak cooling? Stick a high flow 92mm fan on. Want quiet? Stick a Nexus or Panaflow on there. I got mine, with a 35cfm Vantec fan, for $30 at jab-tech.com.

Pete: The Raptor does make noise--but only when it runs. It is idle most of the time, and I can accept some noise when accessing a file or ingame. What drives me nuts is the nonstop HUMMMMM of fans.

Overall I am very happy with the upgrade. It has put wanting to upgrade the CPU/MB as an after thought. I am also guessing that I can probably OC my 6800GT a bit if I wanted... but nothing really pushes it much yet, so I think I will wait. But I can run it stable at 420MHz core / 1.14MHz memory (stock is 350/1.0), so that is a nice boost, although to be honest 10-20% reall does not make a ton of a difference. 10% on top of 50fps is only 55. And most of the time in the past when I have been tempted to OC is when you get spikes. But 10% on like 20fps is only 22fps--not a big difference. So when that happens I either turn down settings or get something new if I can afford it :)

jvd said:
I take it you like the xp-90 ? I'm thinking of getting it

It's a very nice! :D
I'm running one with a Panaflow 92 MM and it run quiet & cool. Very recommended!

I'm also running an Arctic-Cooler on my X800TT which is quieter than the stock fan, dropped my graphics core temp, and dropped my case temp. 8)

Pete said:
All your upgrades look like ones I'd make, save maybe the PSU. Those 80% efficient Seasonic PSUs that SPCR has been reviewing look very tempting.

I recently acquired a Seasonic 430W PSU (they are quite hard to locate in the UK IMO) along with a Nexus 120mm case fan and I'm very happy with them both. Now the only fans I can hear in my PC is my CPU fan (which is the stock CPU fan) and maybe the AC silencer on my GFx card.

For a CPU cooler replacement, I think the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 looks like a good value quiet cooler. Does anyone have one of these coolers so they can let me know what they think of it?

I have the xp90 on order , I almost bought the new xp 90 copper though i decided not to ... saw no reviews of it at the time and figure the xp 90 is enough for now

jvd said:
I have the xp90 on order , I almost bought the new xp 90 copper though i decided not to ... saw no reviews of it at the time and figure the xp 90 is enough for now

What fan did you order? I hear Vantec Stealth begin to whine after a while; I got the Panaflow 92mm. Also heard the Nexus fans are REALLY good.

92x25mm ZALMAN ZM-F2 38CFM@20dB or 53CFM@36dB

I think thats fine for me now

THe thing holding back my cpu is the mobo i think. I can boot up at 2.6 ghz but i freeze going into windows. I can boot at 2.5ghz but then ie freezes and I can't do anything . But my votlage wanders and i think its this crappy board

Back