EVGA 750w PSU's fan dying.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Out of the bloody 9 120mm fans in my system the one making the racket is in my PSU. I cleaned it out as best I'm able without opening it, and it looks good, but the fan is just rattling/clanking and most scary SILENT when it stops working.

Easy fix, pull the PSU and swap the fan. First off I thought I'd try inverting it so it draws air from the case and see if the fan being upside down helped. While doing that I notice the "Warranty void if removed" stickers all over, and I had this thought of, "Warranty? It might be in warranty...."

Got it April 14th, 2017 and it turns out it has a 5 year warranty! Glad I didn't open it. Just got through jumping through all the hoops at EVGA of uploading a screenshot the invoice and giving them my full system specs, (including model numbers, which I thought was pretty in depth of 'em and liked), and a good 3-4 paragraphs describing my problem and how I've been trying to rectify it. Now in 1-2 business days their tech department should get back to me with questions/advice until we all agree I need a new one.

Hoping it happens quick, this noise is driving me NUTS! If it was a steady noise I could handle it, but this is just changing every few minutes and going from loud clanks to dead silence. Not healthy.

Didn't know if anyone had experience with EVGA and RMAs, if anyone has please comment as it'll help me get through the next few days of this.

Crap, I got a teleshrink appt in an hour. Hope they can hear me over the PSU... :|

They actually expect people to still have the invoice nearly 5 years after purchase -Wow
I did rma my coolermaster v650 (10 year warranty) which died a few months after purchase but I dealt with the retailer they had no stock so I got a refund
to power on my pc i had to switch it on (nothing would happen) unplug the mains lead (not sure if that was essential) wait a minute or two and then switch the pc on and this time it would start.

Last edited:
They actually expect people to still have the invoice nearly 5 years after purchase -Wow
One big advantage of buying most of my stuff from Amazon, they keep all the records for me so it's a simple search of orders for "EVGA power supply" and then just pick the right one out of the three I got from EVGA. (500w, 750w, and 1300w)

I hate sporadic problems like that, or problems you can work around but shouldn't have to. I just keep forgetting that warranties are a thing, I so very rarely use them! LOL

EDITED BITS: Also I've taken to keeping the boxes of the major components in my system and have them arranged on the top shelf of my desk, just for reference. :p

My wife just came home and I told her about my PSU and she just said something like, "I heard the racket your computer was making this morning and I just thought of how you must be dying on the inside.". ROFL!

She gets me.

I wouldn't mind the same one, it's been good to me. I just don't want any cross-shipping or down time on my end, I might go insane. :|

I wouldn't mind the same one, it's been good to me. I just don't want any cross-shipping or down time on my end, I might go insane. :|
There's not much you can do about that. Some companies offer charging for new one then refund on receipt of faulty version but it's rare.

there probably a bit of downtime unless you want to buy a spare PSU or got a really good store that allows in-store swap.

when i bought my lenovo laptop online around a month ago, i physically came to the store to swap the unit (in the end they opened 3 new boxes for me) to finally got the good one. But a few weeks later it requires a motherboard replacement. but the store no longer offer unit swap so i need to do it with lenovo and deal with waits/down times. @BRiT that issue with lenovo laptop is my usual bad luck with electronics hahahaha.

OMG, they want $206.98 for a cross-shipping deposit on a $65 PSU?!? I'm tempted to just buy one off Amazon and then do a regular RMA on mine and have an extra, gonna see what the wife says.

Oh, I also asked EVGA if a pinky promise would be ok. My word is good, they can check around. :p

They send me a new one then I ship the old one back.

Basically since the MSRP on the PSU is $99 they're charging me for both of them plus tax. When they get my old one back they refund everything but $7 tax.

Otherwise I ship it to them and wait for a new one, I think I'd die. :|

Basically since the MSRP on the PSU is $99 they're charging me for both of them plus tax. When they get my old one back they refund everything but $7 tax.

That makes no sense. The most they should charge you is the price of 1 PSU. You already bought the one you already have. When I cross-shipped RMA for hard drives, the most the security deposit was the cost of 1 drive.

Hmm, sort of like the ThermalTake white line. Nothing fancy, they just work. Have one that's been rock solid, looking at this one as I can overnight it. Gonna think about it for a day and see if EVGA gets reasonable first, but I think this would be a better option just because I find the cross charge insane and having an extra PSU generally means I'll be building a new PC from parts laying about. :)

Also gotta talk to my wife, but that can wait a bit.

upload_2021-10-21_21-45-57.png

My experience with sony was totally different, my monitor broke I assumed the warrantee was 3 years and had expired. So about a year later I'm looking at some sony stuff and notice a lot of it has a 5 year warrantee so I'm thinking maybe i'm still in warrantee but I dont know because I cant find the receipt (plus you need proof of purchase so I'm out of luck) Then I get an idea I remember when I bought it the shop took my details so I returned to the shop explained my situation and asked them if they had a record of my purchase and they did and I asked if they could print me a copy. Turns out I had 1 week left on the warranty so I phoned sony they sent a courier out 2 days later to pick it up and a week later my monitor was returned repaired and is still going strong 10 years later.

My experience with sony was totally different, my monitor broke I assumed the warrantee was 3 years and had expired. So about a year later I'm looking at some sony stuff and notice a lot of it has a 5 year warrantee so I'm thinking maybe i'm still in warrantee but I dont know because I cant find the receipt (plus you need proof of purchase so I'm out of luck) Then I get an idea I remember when I bought it the shop took my details so I returned to the shop explained my situation and asked them if they had a record of my purchase and they did and I asked if they could print me a copy. Turns out I had 1 week left on the warranty so I phoned sony they sent a courier out 2 days later to pick it up and a week later my monitor was returned repaired and is still going strong 10 years later.

isn't the problem is that digi doesn't want the wait time?

Back