EVGA 750w PSU's fan dying.

Yeah, no downtime and a replacement soonest is my big crunch. This morning I woke up to find out that $46 PSU I posted just went up to $70.

This is turning in to a nut cruncher in my mind. I got so pissed off about it that I went and fixed my wife's Jeep's headlights, put the grill back on, then realized it wasn't going to be warm anymore so I swapped the doors and threw the top back on.

No it was NOT as easy as I just made it sound, and yes it may sound like a weird way to get angry but I've found it to be healthier than a lot of alternatives. I just pick a project that's been bugging me and through myself at it. I was upgrading her lights from halogen to LED and I just could not understand why they weren't working. I had to get a canbus adapter because the ECU in the Jeep is super picky about headlight voltages but even that didn't fix it so I just let it sit for a while. (We currently have an extra vehicle or two so I could leave it in the garage for a week)

Had this sudden thought, I'd just been turning the headlights on to check it then swapping wiring looms back and forth to see what would change...I never put the key in and turned on the ignition. It's very hard for an ECU to think while it's off, as soon as I put the key in and gave the system power they worked perfectly so I just had to slap it all back together.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the RMA, next step is probably talk to the wife. She's been suffering from some medical issues making her miss work and had to fill out an "intermittent leave" thing that she just found out doesn't give her paid days off, just unpaid ones without getting in trouble. So a big backpay check she was waiting for isn't coming and suddenly our cash flow is tight and I do NOT want to miff her off. (She runs our finances, I go through her before I do anything lately. Safer and it seems to make her happy.)

Sorry for the babble, but it's me and it's driving me nuts. It's a little better since I mounted it upside down, but still intermittent hell.

Do you have another desktop or laptop in the house to get you by for a couple of weeks for the RMA, for things you can't do on your phone? Maybe consider going without your own desktop for awhile isn't really that huge a deal, unless it involves loss of income.

Do you have another desktop or laptop in the house to get you by for a couple of weeks for the RMA, for things you can't do on your phone? Maybe consider going without your own desktop for awhile isn't really that huge a deal, unless it involves loss of income.
Every computer in my house is in use at some point during the day by someone, and I won't lose income without my PC but I will lose a bit of sanity. Bubbles is my rock, we're best buds.

Dumb question; would it be legal to buy the exact same PSU from Amazon and mail in my PSU to EVGA and when I get a new one from EVGA return that to Amazon unopened? Not asking if it's moral, just legal... :p

Amazon has same day delivery for my PSU, the evil thought just hit me.

I know, I know. I won't do it.

I am looking for a decent/cheap PSU to pick up while mine is going through RMA. A spare is always useful, I'm just having a tough time finding one that's at least 600w and has 2 8-pin CPU connectors. :/

Hi
Unfortunately, the price increase was implemented to discourage fraud and scalping attempts, to make it more unappealing for people to take advantage of the cross ship process. Once the unit has been received, the refund will be processed within 7-10 business days. Please feel free to contact our customer support team via email or by phone at 1(888) 881-3842, 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, 9am to 6pm pacific time if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
EVGA.

What pisses me off most is I get it. I wrote them an apology for blowing up at them and told them I'd probably be changing to a regular RMA.

Now comes the fun bit, talking with the wife. <sigh>

I guess it's ok as an emergency PSU. Look at all those keywords in the title, it must be good!

And shame on you for even considering the Amazon return "trick".

I ordered it, I ain't gonna find one cheaper than $42 delivered any time soon. Besides, when I checked out I found out I got a $5 NewEgg card and a Montech Mega Mat. ROFL

Wife will understand, 'specially since it's cheap and she hates the noise too.

OOH! Looky what I found!

Build: Montech, like many brands do not manufacture their own power supplies. This unit is made by CWT, which is very well known when it comes to power supplies, making units for many brands, including Corsair and Enermax. That should build some confidence in the consumer; even if you are unfamiliar with Montech, you can be confident in the quality of the unit as it’s made by a reputable source.

And I'll use the pad as a vibration mat for my PC, further quieting it.

Are you sure those 2 8pin connectors arent for gpu's ?
Yeah, what Malo said. It has the connectors I need plus I told the wife about it and she patted me on the head in sympathy for the aggravations I went through and forgave me the purchase. I'm sure fixing and getting her Jeepy ready yesterday had nothing to do with it, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt either. ;)

The new Montech PSU came a few days ago and I've been putting off installing it since my PSU has been behaving since flipping it upside down, until last night when it started grinding and this morning even when it's quiet I can feel a bad vibration in my mouse.

The new PSU is weirding me out. Nothing wrong, just not top shelf. I'm used to sleeved everything, it's weird to see ketchup and mustard coloured cables again. Also the mouse pad is nice and it is HUUUGE, also I told my mom about it and she desperately wants it for her desk so win/win.

Just thought I'd do a follow up since I'll be switching it out today. The noise is on/off now, but when it's on it's awful and I'm getting a bit of a magic smoke smell. Gotta go to Costco with the wife real quick then I'll get on it.

You can buy all types of sleeving or good looking psu extension cables so you can hide the ketchup and mustard ones if it matters to you

You can buy all types of sleeving or good looking psu extension cables so you can hide the ketchup and mustard ones if it matters to you
I probably will do that after I get my EVGA RMAd and all finished. For now I just gotta get it switched.

I'm annoyed at my hesitation, but in fairness the only thing I know that's worse to replace on a PC is either the motherboard or the case. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to move some drives around to make all the SATA power connections work out. :/

First I gotta make a stew, then I gotta ditch trick or treaters for 2 hours, THEN I might get a chance to do it. <sigh>

Off to rope off the porch. Two immuno compromised residents and my wife and kids keep yelling at me that I'm at risk since I had my quadrapass. (I argue I'm stronger and they fixed me so I have no more heart problem, why can't they understand that?)

(I argue I'm stronger and they fixed me so I have no more heart problem, why can't they understand that?)

maybe sometimes you make beep-bop noises without realizing it? :LOL:

btw yeah... (many?) people think humans after being serviced by doctors = weaker. Despite its way more complicated than that, and cannot be generalized.

Nope, no beep-boop noises. They didn't put any electronics in me, (to my knowledge...), they just used some veins from my legs to replace my clogged arteries.

I still do technically have congenital heart failure I think, but that doesn't mean I'm on death's doorstep or anything. I really am in better shape than I have been in a decade. :)

I do concede to the whole, "But there's a pandemic!", argument though. Too many people around here seem to think it's all over and done, very scary. We're the minority now since we mask up. :/

Back