Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

Pardon, I don't follow cars as much as I used to, so I may be way off on the M3.

I would classify the M3 as a " high performance luxury tourer" and the Z06 as a pure sports car, still placing them in altogether different leagues.

And if we do that than what? fact of the matter is the m3 just isnt a faster car on a track. Isnt there a lightweight M3 btw? that csl or whatever its called version?
CSL, the old version is still quite a bit slower (6 seconds in fact) than the Corvette Z06 (A standard Corvette was two seconds quicker) round the Top Gear track.

M3s just aren't that fast. I used to love pissing M3 drivers off in my Subaru with a moderate 90bhp upgrade. Their little faces when they tried to lose me and then try and keep up with me after I'd passed them will fill me with warmth for years :LOL:

M3's are fast for what they are, naturally aspirated semi-luxury sports coupes, but they are no match for a pure sportscar like a Corvette. Maybe if they had more power they would probably be able to match the Corvette but that's like saying a gutted Honda Civic with a supercharged V8 would be faster than a Corvette.

Last time I checked the M3 weighed about 400 kg more and had ~250 Nm less torque. So taking that into account, it actually kicked serious ass out of the Z6.

Translated into real life: Z06 is a faster car and the M3 is underpowered.

Just like i said before, the M3 good car, but underpowered. BMW = underpowered cars. Mercedes has allways been ahead in the horsepower race, but sadly a lot of the mercs (atleast in my experience with mercs) are to comfy to be good sportscars.

Please dont mention "luxury" and BMW 3-series\m3. The bmw 3 series is called premium, luxury sedans are S-classes and Bmw 7 series etc. There is nothing luxurious about a 3 series (m3 or not), its a decent small sedan comfort wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a problem to pump lots of power into any car, or to strip weight off. You'd be crazy to think that BMW couldn't make a faster car if they so wished. Or anyone else with experience, for that matter. It's about the whole package and what it's meant for. BMW have lots of other things to consider with the M3, like consumption, exhaust, comfort, usability etc. Thus I said it's not comparable.

Translated into real life: Z06 is a faster car and the M3 is underpowered.

Just like i said before, the M3 good car, but underpowered. BMW = underpowered cars. Mercedes has allways been ahead in the horsepower race, but sadly a lot of the mercs (atleast in my experience with mercs) are to comfy to be good sportscars.

How the hell is 400bhp 'underpowered'. :rolleyes:

Christ.

I'd take a 200bhp E30 M3 over the E92, in the real world how often do you really get to make use of 400? 500? 600bhp?

Its all about driver involvement, hell I find myself having to rein myself in with just 120bhp to play with.

The latest Road and Track compares ten track cars on multiple tracks and my favorite gets spanked!
ouch!

Corvette or M3 time?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6939

The topic has kind of went a bit off topic, so let me just reply to the original post:

If the Exige is your favorite car, I seriously suggest you take a drive in one. It's easily one of the best handling cars and messuring it on quarter mile drag strips or 0-100-0 (I take it, that is what the review was about) doesn't do it justice. Quite frankly - if straight line performance is what you're interested in, the Exige is not for you. If it's driving thrills and cornering and the pleasure of driving something very raw and special, then you might be happy with it.

The S-240 has a bit of a downfall, in that the air-to-air intercooler doesn't do a very good job (heat soak). It can be relatively easy be modified to a Water/Air intercooler which also ups the power figures to around 260-280bhp and becomes more reliable and constant at the same time.

How the hell is 400bhp 'underpowered'. :rolleyes:
If he wants to see some underpowered cars, he ought to try buying something on a $15k limit. One would see some lovely pieces of work where you need to kiss the redline just to maintain 60 mph on a 5% uphill grade.

Yeah, I know it's not in the same realm as any sport sedan, but "BMW = underpowered cars" is not exactly a light assertion. Something like "{underpowered cars} /\ {BMW cars} != {0}", is at least livable, but you could say that about every manufacturer.

Its all about driver involvement, hell I find myself having to rein myself in with just 120bhp to play with.
Which is not much less than you might even get to use in most cases from a machine rated at a 600 peak hp. When people find a car underpowered, they're really talking about the power they actually get to use. In practice, hardly any car outside of a track test is pushed beyond 3000-3500 rpm, and even then, it'll typically be at <40% throttle -- just the peak before an upshift. For the average car in real-world driving, you're lucky to cross above 60 used engine hp... and of course, for many cars that will feel weak, and so the obvious answer is to buy something of greater horsepower.

Of course, the average car is also made for a soft ride, not exactly amazing handling and generally not focused on "enjoyable" to drive. And you can still make a 160 hp car enjoyable to drive (and Mazda does a great job on this). BMW does this on everything all the way from 400 hp down to 175 hp. To me, though, the most interesting thing that BMW does is that they don't limit new technological advancements (at least those which are generic in nature) to premium product lines. In many cases, they even bring it to the 3-series first. That's something that can be a mixed blessing, sure, but it also means that when they really hit on something, it's available even in the "entry-level" product.

For all the people who are not seriously hitting the track every day who think they need 500 hp (and there are a lot of them), what they really want is more than 100. For that, you might as well get a 200 hp diesel or something -- you'll get more power in the range where you'd actually use the car, and you'll save a few thousand on fuel to boot. But of course, we all know the infinitely misguided stigma attached to diesel...

Is this a statement or a question?

Punctuation is your friend.

It was sort of a statement with a question ie:
the corvette is horrible on the road - do you agree

I got that from a clarkson video the premise of it was does america finally make a good sportscar, and clarkson was driving it around a track being very complimentary about it but then it went to another clip where he explains that he thought he had found a good american sportscar but after filming at the track he drove it back to the hotel and thought it was horrible bone breaking suspension unacceptable tyre roar ect..

The Corvette is not bad on the road, it's actually on par with the GT-R as a daily driver. Tire roar is due to...tires, you can always change to different brand/model tires.

The Corvette is not bad on the road, it's actually on par with the GT-R as a daily driver. Tire roar is due to...tires, you can always change to different brand/model tires.

Uhhhh ur joking right? The gt-r has tons of computer stuff including suspension settings etc. The z06 is about as advanced as a horse and carrage compared to that thing. It still uses freaking leaf springs (advanced ones I know, but still its leafsprings and you cant adjust them like you can with the modern suspensions that use those magnetic things which you in theory can set as hard or soft as you want).

Uhhhh ur joking right? The gt-r has tons of computer stuff including suspension settings etc. The z06 is about as advanced as a horse and carrage compared to that thing. It still uses freaking leaf springs (advanced ones I know, but still its leafsprings and you cant adjust them like you can with the modern suspensions that use those magnetic things which you in theory can set as hard or soft as you want).

Have you driven a Corvette? I have and it's more comfortable on the road than my 96 Miata with Koni adjustibles on full soft + stock springs.;)

Going from the Goodyear SC's to the Toyo T1R's made huge improvement in the road noise on mine.

Going from the Goodyear SC's to the Toyo T1R's made huge improvement in the road noise on mine.

Yep T1Rs are a very good all around performance tire that's why I have them on my car too. I run mine at 35 PSI to offset the slighty soft sidewall.

thats because you cant use those cars on the road. .

Tell that to the guy who has an Ultima who drives around our town! Actually, seeing an ultima on the road is amazing, it's like Le Mans has come to town. It has far more presence than any Ferrari nowadays apart from perhaps the old F40.

What happened to Ferrari? When I was a lad people would have gawped at a 308/328 going down the street, now it's just a red sports car ????? Same for Lambo's, imagine 25 years ago seeing a Countach drive by, holy moly! Now nobody cares. I think it's because in the old days they were driven by just the rich and famous, now they are driven by the rich traders and financial men and so have diluted the breed.

Or maybe the design is just less wow?

You can use them ofcourse if you really want, but its not exactly nice. I dont think ultima's have the nose raining ability so everytime he hits a speedbump he's screwed (and we have lots of those).

I dont think Ferrari's have just become red sportscars btw. Growing up has something to do with it ofcourse but you just have to see the cars in real, pictures and video dont do them justice. The 360 and 430 are not that aggressive in the styling department unlike the 328 so that is why I think they look a bit ''weak'' but the 599 looks like a beast. I dont care about lambo's anymore as half their parts are audi. You hardly ever see a lambo driving though. I see Ferrari's, maserati's and astons quite regulairy but I have never seen a lambo for real all my life.

Back