Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

Had to drive the Elise in pouring rain yesterday and roundabouts with standing water certainly focused the mind! Even on the motorway you could occasionally get a twitch from the rear at 70mph as a wheel lifted on top of the water and began to spin. For those not used to it it would have been easy to have a stupid accident even at fairly low speeds.
No one's clucked disapprovingly at driving 70mph in the rain? Let me be the first. Cluck.

No one's clucked disapprovingly at driving 70mph in the rain? Let me be the first. Cluck.

Speed limit is 70mph on the motorway here, other traffic was travelling at 70-80mph.

I was in the outside lane as I was being overtaken by most the traffic, I'd probably have been better off if I was in the middle or inside lane as water pools in the grooves from the lorries in the outside lane.

I wasn't clucking at your speed relative to the limit, as ~70mph is common in the USA even when the limit is 55. I was clucking at doing that speed on a wet road (especially if it's still raining). It just doesn't seem smart. I'd imagine the margin for error in those conditions is virtually nil.

Then again, I don't know how ESP and other technology (even rain tires, as opposed to the long-life ones I'm used to) changes that, and I don't know the road or the exact conditions. It could've been straight with light traffic, which I guess makes going the speed limit in the rain slightly less irresponsible-sounding. :p Again, just my ill-informed, knee-jerk opinion.

I have gone much much faster in the rain than that. It all depends on the road surface though I suppose. Pooling water is a problem for sure, but if it is getting off road than it is safer.

I've done close to 150 in the rain, but it was a California rain where it is more of a light drizzle. Still, quite fun at those speeds and highly dangerous. This was not on a highway but a closed track that has ample room if I spin out.

Never did more than 80 in the snow, and that was when a friend was driving a rally Evo car.

Back