Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

I am not so sure lap times are a 100% benchmark of how good a car is because certain tracks suit certain cars. Like the Top Gear test track for example was designed by Lotus engineers for handling and it seems power is important as well through the follow through. Same thing with the 'Ring it is a good benchmark. But some cars that are faster in the Top Gear track may not be fast in track X or track Y. It all depends on the track.

That said I still think the lotus probably handles the best and is probably the most well balanced but its probably low on power.

PS: I would still take the Lambo. Sheer presence + performance = hawtness

Actually his list is the old one...

No, my list is the up to date list, as proven by our Atom times being the same and including the GT-R time, I just left out all the cars were weren't talking about..and the Gumpert is top of the list I took my times from.

2004. Again, not bashing the Corvette or anything, it IS a great car. Just that the comparison is useless, since M3 ain't a stripped down sports car like the Vette.

What's stripped down in the Vette?

Here are the options for Z06:
2LZ Preferred Equipment - Includes Standard equipment plus-Front and Side Impact Air Bags, Cargo Convience Net, Luggage Shade, Memory Package, Electrochromic Mirrors Outside and insdie Rear view, Heated Driver and Passenger Seats, AM/FM Stereo w/ Indash 6 Disc Changer, XM Satellite Radio, Power Telescopic Steering Column Universal Home Remote. New for 2007 - Steering Wheel Audio/Radio Controls, Enhanced Acoustic Pkg Cargo Net, and Onstar.

Radio Options:
AM/FM CD with DVD Navigation

NEW Custom Leather-Wrapped Interior Package

I'm really finding it hard to find the "stripped down" stuff. It's really not Chevy's fault that the M3 falls short. Personally, the M3 is best compared to the S4 and the Merc equivalent. It's not in the same class as the Z06.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually his list is the old one...

The up-to-date list can be found here

Code:
1 Ascari A10 1.17.3
2 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
3 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
4 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
5 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
6 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
7 Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8
8 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
9 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
10 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
11 Ferrari 599 GTB 1.21.2
12 Ford GT 1.21.9
13 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
14 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
15 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4

Actually, the GTR beat the Lamborghini LP640 time if I remember correctly, and yes teh Gumpert is fastest atm.

Found:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

US

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd keep the thread on track to the original cars being discussed, now I wish I had just lnked to the list to save pointless relinking to the same list and accusations my times were old!

Dizietsma: you know the term "corporate values and image"? We belong to Mercedes and thus have to produce cars which appeal to typical Mercedes customers. But look at the DTM races over the years, there you can see what we do when we are allowed to.

Robert: there is way more electronics and quirks in the BMW, also two seats more etc. Just look at the weight difference, it surely doesn't come from nowhere.

Corvette is built for a different purpose than the M3. For that purpose it better be better and I'm sure it is. With some modifications it'll whomp on an M3 that is also modified. But in the end, that all comes down to who's spending the bigger bucks and which car has a bigger after market.

I like the M3. It's got good speed, really nice handling, and a high level of comfort. That is a car I could drive around town in every day and not ever bitch about getting into i. It would always be nice. In that qay it completely destroys every single GM product out there.

M3 beats the crap out of any corvette. And speed is not the only thing in a car which is important, it's got a fantastic suspension and steering and razor-sharp handling.

They're my competiton BTW, so this is an honest compliment with no envy.

Do I hear a angry German here? Tze germans are also getting their ass kicked at the moment at the Ring by the Japanese and even the Americans with the souped up version of the Z06 (I suppose one the only decent ''supercars'' they ever made).

A Z06 is defenitly faster on the track but not a great ride on the road.

All in all I dont think lap times tell you that much, what you should look at is what you want and what you like most. You want pure speed? dont buy any of those cars and get yourself something like a donkervoort or one of those other bathtubs with 4 wheels and a engine. Cheaper and it will assrape any supercar money can buy on a track.

But all that is hardly any use if you dont know how the drive the thing. Also what about fun? A light weight lotus might not be the fastest thing but probably a ton of fun because its so light you can trow it around all the time. That is something different with a 1500kg Corvette.

So i'd look at, in random order:
Speed
money
skill
fun

Aside from the bathtub on wheel cars a exige could be great. Its 30k cheaper than the z06 and 40k cheaper than the m3 (might be different in the US) and loads of fun I think. Or maybe a GT-R, should be cheaper than the z06 and M3 and you'll also get some Lotus with that as the Chassis is done by lotus guys. Though I dont really like it. Its wrong. 4wd, heavy, ''low'' power, but still very fast (its like being 45, 100kg and run the 100meters in under 9 seconds). Not the mention the stupid playstation computers, I wouldnt buy one just for that.

That's out of date too, the Gumpert Apollo is now top :)

They won't test the Ultima or Radical though, both would be near the top, the Radical would be top by a long way.

You'll have to forgive _XXX_, his company has been around for more than 30 years and has only just got around to making a fine handling car this year :p

And they still cannot make a crankshaft position sensor that does not leave you stranded about 10 times in 3 days!

:)

thats because you cant use those cars on the road. To be on the board you have to be able to drive over a speedbump which the ultima and radical cant. They tested a radical btw, It owned ofcourse but they didnt put it up because of the above reason.

About the TG track, it favors handling and braking above power. The track is only short so unlike normal tracks you dont have the longer straight pieces and the more wider bends that will help out the more powerfull cars like the Enzo and the CCX that need more space to really show what they can do. That is also why cars like the atom are so high up. Low top speed but because of their weight and acceleration they can make up alot on the short TG track as no car really goes that fast and for the real supercars to make the difference they need to do that. Otherwise they are just heavy relative slow accelerating cars compared to the lightweight atom like cars.

Let's make this real simple:

Z06 compared to M3:
Z06 - faster in a straight line, and around many tracks
M3 - more versatile (it is a sedan) and luxurious

They're both great sports cars, it's just that one is also a sedan.

There is also a 2 door version (was there even a 4 door m3?) btw.
You don't, I'm not german.

As already said, compare the weight and torque and calculate the proportional difference.

And if we do that than what? fact of the matter is the m3 just isnt a faster car on a track. Isnt there a lightweight M3 btw? that csl or whatever its called version?

Back