Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

Back to the article.

One day car mags will get a clue as bike mags did a while back when doing testing of high end sports models. That is, using a control tire. Size will clearly vary from car to car but the goal should be to get the same brand and class of tire to even out the playing field. Clearly in this case, run something like Toyo T1R's, Michelin PS2's or put your favorite manufacturers flagship road and track tire.

Watching cars with run flats trying to take on those with super sticky barely DOT approved tires will go a long way to change the outcome.

Oh, please elaborate. We have a Viper here and used the chassis as mules (aggregate carriers) for the development of our new drivetrain, so feel free to tell me about that "wrong info" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why don't you drop the lol's and talk about the vette first. Who is "we?" The Vipers have dominated many forms of racing. If you want to talk Lemans the Orca Viper should ring a bell. Before the Z06 they really had no competition. The newers ones are much much better to drive than the old ones. If you or your people can't actually drive a car and need the car to keep em comfy and take them around the track, well that's another story.

And you can't be serious with the Viper, it's got a truck engine from the last century for god's sake.

And you can't be serious with a viper, it's got a truck engine from the last century for god's sake.

The vette is a pushrod with leaf springs but it took down the mighty F430. Your hard on seems to stem from stats and tech. I care only about the end performance. When you put all the wonderful buzzwords and paper tech into your car, make sure the performance is actually there. Then try to make it affordable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTuIf_5_bv4

I just looked at the Vette, I stand corrected. There is some sort of traction control and "active handling" (ESP?) in there now. I guess I just missed the last incarnation.

I just looked at the Vette, I stand corrected. There is some sort of traction control and "active handling" (ESP?) in there now. I guess I just missed the last incarnation.

The vette's had active handling since 98 (option and standard in 2001).

Hmm, dunno why I missed that. Didn't feel like that on the road at least (that was the '04 model back then). I guess they decided to keep it very mild in order to make people drive in a sportier manner.

Back to the article.

One day car mags will get a clue as bike mags did a while back when doing testing of high end sports models. That is, using a control tire. Size will clearly vary from car to car but the goal should be to get the same brand and class of tire to even out the playing field.

Indeed. Moreover, having an engineer adjusting the springs in the VIPER ACR, while not doing the same for the Porsche GT2, etc. is fairly stupid.

Given the price of the competition I think the Exige did pretty well to stay in touch.

Ultimately though I love my Elise not for the speed of the thing (and with 118bhp it's hardly fast in absolute terms) but for how much information it feeds back to you, the adjustability through a corner and the fact that its bright yellow, completely mad and girls can't get in or out of it in a skirt without flashing their knickers ;)

Lap times and stats are for pub/forum willy waving, great cars are for great roads :)

How much is the Exige vs the GTR? I'd still go for the GTR imo.

US

In the UK the Exige S starts at £35k, the GTR £53k, not sure about US prices, I'd guess the Exige is quite expensive as Lotus is a British company and its a fairly low volume car.

One thing that has stopped me chasing large power outputs (I considered an early E46 M3's or E39 M5 when I was changing cars) is that on the road you really have to be doing seriously illegal speeds to even begin to challenge the car - they simply aren't fun in a real world environment.

Plus if you factor in the fuel bill for the majority of your driving, a small engine and a lighter car is surely more attractive.

Plus if you factor in the fuel bill for the majority of your driving, a small engine and a lighter care is surely more attractive.

Yep, I did 400 miles in mine and averaged 40mpg. Even a normal fill up (mixture of a bit of commuting, maybe one relaxed longer drive and a couple of late night hoons) will come in over 30mpg.

Back