Lotus Exige S 240 pwned

Plus if you factor in the fuel bill for the majority of your driving, a small engine and a lighter car is surely more attractive.
Oddly enough, in the US, the GT-R is rated as an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle. Not that it gets mileage anywhere close to other ULEVs (only around ~18 mpg, I think), but then EPA emissions ratings aren't directly affected by mileage at all in the first place.

Could be worse, though... they could rate mileage and emissions relative to the vehicle class (I remember hearing such a proposition at one point). If they did, then the GT-R would be classed in the same sampling as the Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz/Fit. The Murcielago would be grouped together with the Smart Fortwo.

In any circumstances besides driving in a strictly straight line on a dry, even track. .

What are you basing this on?

While the M3 is a fine car, it does not posses any super handling skills, its an relatively easy car to drive and a easy car to predict, but curves or no curves, a BMW m3 would have had a very very very very hard time keeping up with a Z06.

The new corvette z06 is very good, far from perfect but on racing tracks, its probably by far the best value for money you today if you consider performance alone.

BMW will dance pirouettes around it on any course with curves..

Last time i checked the z06 did nurburgring 15 seconds faster than the M3. If my memory is correct, the nurburgring nordschleife has about 120 or so corners.

_xxx_ when was the last time you drove a Corvette? With what you're writing it sounds more like you're describing a Camaro or similar. The Z06 is light, powerful and pretty grippy too.

M3: 3565 lbs., 414 bhp@8300, 295 lb-ft@3900
Z06: 3190 lbs., 505 bhp@6300, 470 lb-ft@4300

Last time i checked the z06 did nurburgring 15 seconds faster than the M3. If my memory is correct, the nurburgring nordschleife has about 120 or so corners.

The new ZR1 recently set one of the fastest times for a production car at the Ring It was using stock tires also unlike the cut slicks on the GTR that got exposed a while back. Here's the whole you tube vid. Clearly he was making up all the time in the straights! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o

Here's the blog on it: http://blog.gmnext.com/?p=194

Over the last two weeks, we have been doing our final tuning and testing there before we start ZR1 production cars. This morning (Friday June 27), General Motors development engineer Jim Mero drove the Corvette ZR1 around the Nürburgring in a time of 7:26.4.

Jim commented after the lap that conditions were good except for a strong headwind down the main straight and that the lap was solid, but he felt there were a few places he could have gone faster.

The car was bone stock with the exception of the communications and safety equipment. The tires were production Michelin Pilot Sport 2’s. These tires have been developed specifically for the ZR1 and will have impressive wet traction and wear (tread wear rating = 220), in addition to excellent dry road holding. Chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs. Likewise, the engine calibrations were absolutely stock, emissions compliant and the car ran on pump (not racing) fuel. The vehicle was exactly like the cars that will be built in Bowling Green, Kentucky and sold around the world later this summer.

The timed lap was run with a rolling start, a departure from our previous practice of standing starts. This is more aligned with current industry practice. The lap was electronically timed and confirmed with two hand-held stopwatches. An in-car video will be posted when the engineering team returns from Germany. Look for it the week of July 7!

Maybe xxx can comment?

The new ZR1 recently set one of the fastest times for a production car at the Ring It was using stock tires also unlike the cut slicks on the GTR that got exposed a while back.
I suggest you read up again. The record time for the GT-R around the Ring never used cut slicks. The one that was said to be using cut slicks was the test run that did a 7:38, and that "reveal" itself was a mistranslation in that he was talking about not wanting to use cut slicks. The point itself is moot anyway, since that 7:38 time was beaten by a later run in a different stock GT-R posting 7:29, and that one most certainly was bone-stock in all respects. Like the Corvette Z06 as well, the stock GT-R also uses run-flat tires.

Yeah, the ZR1 did eventually beat it, but that just means that just means that it actually is a contest for the Spec V, which I'll admit is more than I expected.

"record time" for the gtr?

7:29 didn't beat any records. Both carrera gt,zonda f,zr-1, doonkervoort and radicals has been below that.

7:29 is the record lap for a GT-R, granted it's not an outright record lap, but it's still a record lap for the GT-R.

I think I saw the other day that the V-Spec GT-R did around 7:34 on a partially wet track. That car is going to be awesome.

Something other than the SLC ?! whooo!
BTW the funky looking viper gullwing mule is ugly as sin lol

If you want a gull wing
say helo to the 1012bhp bristol fighter T

you can tell its british for 3 reasons
1: its limited to a top speed of only 235mph
2: if the owner doesnt like you he wont sell you one
3: james may is banned from the showroom because he commited the crime of knowing jeremy clarkson

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you read up again. The record time for the GT-R around the Ring never used cut slicks. The one that was said to be using cut slicks was the test run that did a 7:38, and that "reveal" itself was a mistranslation in that he was talking about not wanting to use cut slicks. The point itself is moot anyway, since that 7:38 time was beaten by a later run in a different stock GT-R posting 7:29, and that one most certainly was bone-stock in all respects. Like the Corvette Z06 as well, the stock GT-R also uses run-flat tires.

Yeah, the ZR1 did eventually beat it, but that just means that just means that it actually is a contest for the Spec V, which I'll admit is more than I expected.

Was this the same sort of ringer that they sent to road and track that ran a 1:56.9 at Buttonwillow http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6591 that ended up running 2:01.1 in a later test? http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...r_porsche_911_gt2_comparison_test+page-5.html (I have the mag infront of me and I'm sure you can google the scanned pages) After seeing that I don't have a lot of faith in Nissan numbers.

Don't get me wrong. The GTR is a great car but when I see differences of 4-5+ seconds on a track and config that I've personally lapped hundreds of times, I can tell you, something isn't right.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you basing this on?

Handling, steering, suspension.

While the M3 is a fine car, it does not posses any super handling skills

Oh but it does.

curves or no curves, a BMW m3 would have had a very very very very hard time keeping up with a Z06.

Due to the lack of power only. But strip all the comfort stuff off it and it's a different story compared to the regular version.

The new corvette z06 is very good, far from perfect but on racing tracks, its probably by far the best value for money you today if you consider performance alone.

Nothing against that, I also think it's the best value for money if you're looking for a puristic sports car. Price/perf definitely unbeatable.

Last time I checked the M3 weighed about 400 kg more and had ~250 Nm less torque. So taking that into account, it actually kicked serious ass out of the Z6.

_xxx_ when was the last time you drove a Corvette? With what you're writing it sounds more like you're describing a Camaro or similar. The Z06 is light, powerful and pretty grippy too.

M3: 3565 lbs., 414 bhp@8300, 295 lb-ft@3900
Z06: 3190 lbs., 505 bhp@6300, 470 lb-ft@4300

2004. Again, not bashing the Corvette or anything, it IS a great car. Just that the comparison is useless, since M3 ain't a stripped down sports car like the Vette.

Clearly he was making up all the time in the straights! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o

Actually, it's really interesting to watch the linked video that shows the GT-R and ZR-1 run side by side in one picture, synchronised to the same start position and with a new timer. They are amazingly close. From the one time I looked at the video, I'm taking that the ZR-1 driver is pushing harder, taking the few curbs that you can actually 'sort-of' safely take for instance. But the cars are a great match for each other, pretty cool stuff.

Top Gear Test Track

Ariel Atom 1.19.5
Nissan GT-R 1.19.7
Corvette Z06 1.22.4
Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93
Lotus Exige 1.26.4
BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0
Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5

small curvy track..

Top Gear Test Track

Ariel Atom 1.19.5
Nissan GT-R 1.19.7
Corvette Z06 1.22.4
Aston Martin DBS 1.23.93
Lotus Exige 1.26.4
BMW M3 CSL 1.28.0
Dodge Viper SRT-10 1.28.5

small curvy track..

This will be a good one to compare the Spec V and new ZR1 on since the ZR1 is supposed to be substantially lighter than the Z06. Gotta love the Atom.

This will be a good one to compare the Spec V and new ZR1 on since the ZR1 is supposed to be substantially lighter than the Z06. Gotta love the Atom.

Actually his list is the old one...

The up-to-date list can be found here

Code:
1 Ascari A10 1.17.3
2 Koenigsegg CCX (with TG spoiler) 1.17.6
3 Pagani Zonda F 1.18.4
4 Maserati MC12 1.18.9
5 Ferrari Enzo 1.19.0
6 Ariel Atom 1.19.5
7 Lamborghini LP640 1.19.8
8 Porsche Carrera GT 1.19.8
9 Ascari KZ1 1.20.7
10 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1.20.9
11 Ferrari 599 GTB 1.21.2
12 Ford GT 1.21.9
13 Porsche GT3 RS 1.22.3
14 Ferrari 360 CS 1.22.3
15 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1.22.4

That's out of date too, the Gumpert Apollo is now top :)

They won't test the Ultima or Radical though, both would be near the top, the Radical would be top by a long way.

You'll have to forgive _XXX_, his company has been around for more than 30 years and has only just got around to making a fine handling car this year :p

And they still cannot make a crankshaft position sensor that does not leave you stranded about 10 times in 3 days!

:)

First these

M3 beats the crap out of any corvette.

BMW will dance pirouettes around it on any course with curves

And here comes the Buts and ifs

Due to the lack of power only. But strip all the comfort stuff off it and it's a different story compared to the regular version.

Last time I checked the M3 weighed about 400 kg more and had ~250 Nm less torque. So taking that into account, it actually kicked serious ass out of the Z6.

The fact is, it is the Corvette that dances pirouttes around M3, while not even breaking a sweat doing it.

Has this just devolved into 'My imaginary Corvette could beat up your imaginary BMW?'.

They are both very different cars, the Corvette may be faster in absolute terms, but its entirely horses for courses.

If you want a big engined sports car the Corvette is a damn good choice (although here hobbled by the lack of a RHD model), but if you want something that can move 4 people and their luggage and still not embarise itself on a quick road or track then the M3 will tick a lot of boxes too.

Back