Life of Black Tiger [PS4] and other shit games that show a lack of QA on PSN

I don't understand your point? Are you suggesting Sony must be more open than MS because that's the only possible reason? There are quite a few possibilities as to why indie games are targeting PS4 and not XB1 (not least, perhaps XB1 is getting plenty of games but I'm not hearing about them because my knowledge is filtered through mainstream media coverage choices).

I still keep seeing quite a few announcements for games coming to 'PC and PS4'. Are Sony just more open to games then?

At the moment yes. Basically any indie that wants to get their title on PSN can do so. It's easier than getting an indie title onto Steam in many ways. Except it's also more expensive to get a title onto PSN than Steam, even if the cost isn't that high.

XBO on the other hand is more difficult as Indie titles currently must be approved by Microsoft before they can be put into the XBLA store. MS are looking to change that as I mentioned with a lower tier store where titles won't get advertised as much. As such the barrier of entry will be far lower. I'm not sure whether it'll go as far as PSN where anything goes.

Regards,
SB

I don't understand your point? Are you suggesting Sony must be more open than MS because that's the only possible reason? There are quite a few possibilities as to why indie games are targeting PS4 and not XB1 (not least, perhaps XB1 is getting plenty of games but I'm not hearing about them because my knowledge is filtered through mainstream media coverage choices).

I have no idea how the PS4 compares to XB1 in medium-to-low quality indie games like the ones linked in this thread.
I took your previous post not as a MS<->Sony comparison but a question of why Sony is getting so many releases parallel to PC (instead of claiming exclusivity). My point is these games aren't worth the effort of claiming exclusivity.

I am kinda late into this thread so I was wondering except from Life of Tiger what other games on PSN are as bad as this one? I have only this one in mind

I am kinda late into this thread so I was wondering except from Life of Tiger what other games on PSN are as bad as this one? I have only this one in mind
I don't know. I do know a dev who couldn't get onto PSN because of network bugs (which couldn't be debugged without multiple devkits which weren't being offered) while other games do get released all buggy (Alienation was bugging out the other day). PSN seems a bit of a crap-shoot. A lot is probably down to region.

At the moment yes. Basically any indie that wants to get their title on PSN can do so. It's easier than getting an indie title onto Steam in many ways. Except it's also more expensive to get a title onto PSN than Steam, even if the cost isn't that high.

XBO on the other hand is more difficult as Indie titles currently must be approved by Microsoft before they can be put into the XBLA store. MS are looking to change that as I mentioned with a lower tier store where titles won't get advertised as much. As such the barrier of entry will be far lower. I'm not sure whether it'll go as far as PSN where anything goes.

Regards,
SB

Yeah you're talking about the new Creators Program announced at GDC. Here's a diagram showing the main differences...

xbox-live-creators-program.png

Always thought having a curated store of games like this was fine but not supporting achievements is a bad idea. The new program even goes a step further & does not support multiplayer either. Even XBLIG on 360 supported multiplayer. Hopefully they're open to changing that before it launches.

Tommy McClain

I can see the appeal though. You can use the Creator's Program as a stepping stone; free entry and some ROI. Then step up to ID@Xbox.

Looks like PSN store is now worse than Steam and actually allowing AND promoting on their youtube channel games that are so bad they couldn't get Greenlit on Steam.

I get that lack of any sort of oversight inevitably leads to crap appearing, but it boggles the mind that Sony promotes some of these titles on their official YouTube channel.

Regards,
SB

I get that lack of any sort of oversight inevitably leads to crap appearing, but it boggles the mind that Sony promotes some of these titles on their official YouTube channel.

Regards,
SB
Indeed. At least with Steam these atrocious games basically don't appear on people's store front. Being promoted in their YouTube and zero response from Sony to Jim us very strange.

Being promoted in their YouTube and zero response from Sony to Jim us very strange.

I've head of Jim Sterling and thought he had a huge YT channel but having checked it's about half a million which may explain it. In YouTube gaming channels stakes, that's actually pretty small. I follow a bunch of YT channels from 50k subs up to 25x times the size of Jim Sterling and even then the large channels occasionally comment they can't get Sony or Microsoft to engage with them.

It sucks, but it's way the world works. :yep2:

I follow a bunch of YT channels from 50k subs up to 25x times the size of Jim Sterling and even then the large channels occasionally comment they can't get Sony or Microsoft to engage with them.
He's fairly well known and in the video I linked he specifically states he asked several of his contacts at Sony which usually respond to him.

He's fairly well known and in the video I linked he specifically states he asked several of his contacts at Sony which usually respond to him.

This is a social misconception. People who value the views of people often over estimate their voice in any demographic but when people's communication is primarily through YouTube or Twitter then the actual influence is directly measurable to followers/subscribers relative to the overall market.

I've been gaming since the late 70s and have heard of Jim Sterling. But the reason I didn't really know who he was is likely is a direct correlation to the relatively small size of his following. This is no reflection or measure of quality of insightfulness of his views, just the raw measurable influence in the gaming community.

On the point of informal contacts, it's generally trivial for non-PR people to repeat press lines on issues when they exist but there probably are not press any lines for why Sony think this approach is a good idea. Perhaps because it's inexplicably stupid. The lack of defensive press lines for his contacts to feed is because as of yet nobody large/important enough to warrant a response has triggered an actual press line to be written. This is typically how it goes in large organisations.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a social misconception. People who value the views of people often over estimate their voice in any demographic but when people's communication is primarily through YouTube or Twitter then the actual influence is directly measurable to followers/subscribers relative to the overall market.
I'm basing it on the people he knows and who contact him. When Valve invite him and TotalBiscuit together to their HQ to get their opinions on the Steam platform, you'd think he's reasonably connected.

Anyway I can't be bothered arguing whether or not something is famous enough in the gaming community. I really don't care all that much.

I think you're missing the point but if it's not something you want to discuss further.
Who is arguing? :???: A discussion isn't an argument. :nope:

Minor point regarding the thread title... I think it should read "lack of curation" as opposed to "lack of QA", since Sony or PSN aren't required to QA games for their devs/pubs.

I think Sony - and all providers of digital goods for that matter - should make sure that whatever can be bought from their store fronts works as intended and doesn't break any laws. That's it. Of course they are free to promote their goods as well. Let the market take care of the rest. Black Tiger may be a pile of shit, but it doesn't hurt anyone.

Black Tiger may be a pile of shit, but it doesn't hurt anyone.
I disagree. IMO it hurts the image of Sony (especially since they're promoting these on their company YouTube channel), and more importantly, it tells the consumer that titles on their store could be utter piles of crap that is definitely not worth the $$ they charge for them and could potentially deter them from buying more.

Back