Last of Us [PS4]

Really wanna see this first. After what Crystal Dynamics did with the Definitive Edition of Tomb Raider and what R* seems to be doing with GTA5, TLoU on PS4 sounds a bit like a half-assed cash grab..

Really wanna see this first. After what Crystal Dynamics did with the Definitive Edition of Tomb Raider and what R* seems to be doing with GTA5, TLoU on PS4 sounds a bit like a half-assed cash grab..
Porting from PS3->PS4 probably isn't easy. Tomb Raider was on X360/PS3/PC and I'd imagine R* have been working on a PC version for sometime now. I'm guessing the PS4/XB1 versions are just PC ports. I'm no dev, but I think porting from PC->PS4 is a lot easier than PS3->PS4.

Plus we've seen pretty much nothing of TLoU:R other than a few cutscenes, so I'll reserve judgement. And TLoU:R is $50, while Tomb Raider and most likely GTA5 will be $60. $50 seems fair considering it's upgraded and it comes with DLC. Perfect for all those PS4 owners who never owned a PS3, or maybe waited, or just want to play it again in 1080p/60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never said it was easy. It's just that as a paying consumer I don't really give a shit whether it was not easy. As for the price tage: just look how generous that Halo edition is by comparison. And those guys actually had to make a proper remake of at least one of the Halo games in the collection. Last gen we used to get HD versions of 2 or even 3 games for half the the price of a single new game (and I'm pretty sure reverse engineering someone else's ancient PS2 code wasn't particularly easy for Bluepoint either), so you have to forgive me for not throwing flowers at ND's feet for giving me the option to pay almost full price for just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo Collection is filled with very old games, same as all the HD collections we got on PS3 and X360.

TLOU is a very fresh game, and because of that and the presence of DLC content, its content deserves to have higher [but not full $60] price tag.

Yesterday, we had our first opportunity to go hands-on with Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us update for PlayStation 4. Sony wisely put it side-by-side with the original edition (our review) for comparison purposes, driving home just how much the Remastered version has improved.

The first thing you’re likely to notice is the visual upgrade from 720p and 30 frames per second to 1080p and 60 frames per second (though you can lock things down at 30 FPS should you choose). Naughty Dog tells us that character textures have been increased by a factor of four, shadows have been doubled (along with a new lighting process), and draw distance is noticeably better.

Motion blur when turning the camera (used to hide slower loading textures) has been significantly reduced, but not eliminated. The game’s gritty, destroyed environments look crisper, which was even more pronounced in the side-by-side comparison. It looks spectacular.

more [audio, gamepad, bonus content, PS3 content, trophies, future DLC specuilation] @ http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...-hands-on-with-the-last-of-us-remastered.aspx

The God of War games weren't that old when the collection hit the PS3. Neither was Shadow of the Colossus (which got texture upgrades too), MGS3, Sly3, Peacewalker etc. And Halo2 gets the Anniversary treatment, i.e. it gets a complete makeover. I think that's laudable, not to mention a lot more work than running all your textures through a sharpening filter. Or rather than using the higher res versions that were most likely readily available all along.

GOW collection came 2.5 years after GoW2.
SotC collection came 6 years after its NA PS2 debut.
MGS HD Collection came out 7 years after MGS3 [1.5 years after Peace Walker].

Halo 2 is a game from two generations ago, it needs the makeover much more than Last of Us or Halo 4 and we still haven't seen a lot of footage of how that Anniversary edition actually looks... I also think we'll see Last of Us PS4-version discounted fairly soon.

Oh wow, this easily hangs with some of the current gen games.
1WyyjN9.jpg

Yhg5Qyl.jpg

vgUqlMA.jpg

I'd put money on it being ingame rather than bullshots.

We know ND can make hardware sing like very few others, and it's not unbelievably good to my eye.

Looking forward to finally playing the game.

I am looking forward to DFs analysis. Does it feature locked 60fps? Or is it KZ like whatever fps during gameplay and that is why we get a locked 30fps option?

Back