Last of Us [PS4]

Oh baby my returns are diminishing by the minute....

Exhibit A:Uncharted 4 ;)

I know you're being facetious... but it's just a HD update to the game. It should look basically the same. But that doesn't mean 1080p60 won't make it shine some more :)

So was TLOU better than UC3 on the PS3?

Someone already asked it.... but better in what way?

I like Uncharted 1 and 2 more than 3. Though 3 is definitely the most technically superb. And 3 also has by far the best multiplayer in the whole series.

TLOU is a different beast altogether. Well liked by almost everyone, whereas Uncharted 3 everybody and their mum got a problem with it for some reason. Both great games anyhow.

Specifically, did TLOU push the technical envelope beyond what UC1-3 did?

100% yes, in every area. ND did unholy things to PS3 hardware, they managed to render much more ambitious game than any Uncharted.

There were reports that ND developers applauded across entire studio toward the end of production when someone yelled that he/she managed to free up ~100kb of RAM memory. :D Dunno if its true, but I would not be suprised if it is.

£37.85 at Amazon UK. Marginally cheaper than I expected!

Amazon's european pricing is something you have to watch out for. My experience is that the UK pricing is always cheaper than the prices on their german website.

TLoU is still 69 euro on Amazon.de
while it's ~40 GBP => ~50 euro on their UK website

If it's the same package, think it's hard to explain the price difference. You get free shipping on Amazon.de (for Holland), but 15 euros price difference is still ridiculous... given it's the same company.

Amazon's european pricing is something you have to watch out for. My experience is that the UK pricing is always cheaper than the prices on their german website.

TLoU is still 69 euro on Amazon.de
while it's ~40 GBP => ~50 euro on their UK website

If it's the same package, think it's hard to explain the price difference. You get free shipping on Amazon.de (for Holland), but 15 euros price difference is still ridiculous... given it's the same company.

Not sure how it works everywhere else, but here in the UK there's a huge scandal - well not really a scandal but you get my drift - over the fact that they pay zero tax in this country, despite making billions in revenues. If it's different in other countries, that might be a factor.
Also a hugely important factor to remember is that WE WILL NEVER KNOW. A bit like the complete mysteries of totally arbitrary price points of US and European hardware, which has never matched real exchange rates. Ever.

Nice discussion on UC4 and TLOU...

Neil Druckmann after TLoU is a living "god" of course. Hopefully they can enhance the relationships in the game (Sully - Nate, Nate - Elena) like they did with TLoU. Man, first time I was actually crying while playing a game.

A bit like the complete mysteries of totally arbitrary price points of US and European hardware, which has never matched real exchange rates. Ever.
Certainly for UK vs US prices, it's price parity except for RRPs that are artifically inflated so products can be 'discounted' to the real price. eg. Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12" tablet. Released in US at $650, it had a UK RPP of £650. Ha ha ha! But prices at retail soon dropped to ~£450 which, factoring in taxes, was pretty even. And now it's even available at the ridiculously low price of £350! Damn, I'm going to bite at that.

The important thing is to ignore release prices and go by retail prices. Obviously regional pricing is still A Thing (tm), but it's nothing like as horrific as it used to be. I think international trading has really pushed for equality among western markets. Obviously everything's either crazy cheap or crazy expensive in some emerging markets where either the tech is heavily discounted to generate sales, or very high to sell to the upper classes as a prestige product.

So, any news on the proposed discount for ppl who already own it on the ps3? How much will it cost me?

No, there is no news for upgrades. Look at those recent upgrade deals as a launch window gifts for people who bought nextgen consoles early. Don't expect that to reaper until next console launch [if we then get again wave of crossgen releases].

No, there is no news for upgrades. Look at those recent upgrade deals as a launch window gifts for people who bought nextgen consoles early. Don't expect that to reaper until next console launch [if we then get again wave of crossgen releases].

I understand but Sony and ND did say that they are looking into giving a discount for ppl who own it already. Looks like theres nothing out there till now. Hope they come up with a deal or I will have to wait till it goes on sale. Need to save money for "new" games too and I completed the game many times on my ps3 already, although I can't fathom not playing the awesome combat at 60 fps. The panicky fights will be even more panicky :p !

1080p on youtube is what, 4-5mbit? Not nearly enough for any kind of detailed examination of visuals.

I was being slightly facetious, and of course they are two extremely different games and the 'starting point' is different, but even on youtube videos the GTAV remake looks much, much better than the PS3 version.

/runs away

Specifically, did TLOU push the technical envelope beyond what UC1-3 did?

Oh yes for sure it was a good upgrade.

Though also keep in mind the scope of the Uncharted 3 set pieces and bombast was on a different level than TLOU. Different targets for each game. Nice IQ and shader stuff in TLOU though. A couple of scenes the flashlight had some global illumination going on, not everywhere though.

Back