Last of Us [PS4]

I guess Half Life 2 was already using some aproximation of FACS to drive their animation. And that was 2005 or so!

That's no wonder, as the guy who built Gollum's facial system and lead the team of sculptors was Bay Raitt and he joined Valve in 2004.

I was just watching the youtube video and I got surprised by the sound. Around 1:30-1:38 in the video while Joel walks away from Ellie, I could swear its as if Ellie's voice was shifting position until I could hear her behind me. And that from my laptop speakers. How did they do that surround sound trick through the youtube video?

yup its awesome. feels like playing in the middle of battle field on BFBC2 :D

btw on Uncharted series, you can also feels that nice fake positional audio by selecting "Pro Logic" on the option menu :)

Nextgen games like Quantic Dream's stuff is probably going to get even more dense, as the facial expressions can get more convincing and it's also easier to slide the skin over the muscles and bones if you have more geometry.
They're pretty much converging with the level we're doing, when the mesh is dense enough to actually form the little folds and wrinkles, instead of just fading them in from a secondary wrinkle map.
blackbeard_wireframe.jpg

Although, this would make it near impossible to re-use the mesh and thus the bone weighting. Painting the influences for those 98 bones must be quite a chore to do, even once.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see 15-50k polygon heads in next gen games focusing on characters and acting.

Yes, next gen is bound to be closer to cg quality, though not quite there yet, but I didn't realise characters had such smoothed faces in current games already. And yes, painting those weights is bound to get more and more difficult as meshes get denser and denser. I am sure thier coders must be providing them with a 'rough weight paint' to start with , which needs to be polished upon for final result. I remember going crazy with painiting bone weghts and getting weird deformations and bugs with our simple-by-todays-standards character we had used to a short film for a competition some 7-8 years back. Can't even fathom painting weights on that Neytiri mesh :LOL: ! No wonder I chose to be a lighiting Artist !

Also, animating bones everytime to get an expression is definitely more work than reusing blend shapes and their various combinations. ND is still using blend shapes to give finer touches to the expressions, but I can imagine the kindof hard work their animators ar putting into this. I am sure they must be using face capture data to drive those bones to start with and then cleaning up manually.

Was watching a few segments of the first video to get a grip on what the gameplay is actually about and I have to say the game doesn't look 'that good' visually. Maybe the earlier demo woth all those indirect shadows was more visually impressive, but the environments seem simple and game-like.Also, the realtime GI from the flashlight which we saw earlier, is it there in this video? Cos I can't see it !

Anyways, the gameplay seem to be somewhat new in the sense that it isn't going for all out chills and thrills and but seems to be focussed on feeling more real-life-like where there is a lot of downtime and a few encounters. Could make the game very special ! ;)

I just hope the PSN version isn't more than 25 gbs, cos I am down to 1mbps these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flashlight no longer cast shadows and no dynamic bounced lighting either :???:

Exactly what I added to my post above ! I can't see the bounced light in this video ! Maybe thats just in that dark level shown before and not in all th elevels.

OR maybe like the demo's name states , it a BETA build, an older build. I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, sure.

FACS is for facial action coding system, developed by Dr. Paul Ekman and his team in the `60s to get a way of describing facial expressions of patients in mental institutes, so that the doctors could compare exactly what's going on instead of trying to describe it or draw it.
I think it can also be used to detect subconscious ticks and such that the face does when lying, and there's a TV series with Tim Roth about it as well?

Action units are based on what the brain can tell the facial muscles to do, not on the individual muscles of the face or what we call expressions like anger or sadness. Those larger expressions can almost always get decomposed into a set of AUs with various weights for each.
For example a nice smile usually involves the Lip Corner Puller but also the Cheek Raiser to form the crow's feet around the eyes and perhaps stuff like Inner and Outer Brow Raiser and Upper Lip Raiser and so on. But leave out the Cheek Raiser and it's suddenly a fake smile.

There are detailed descriptions on what muscles each AU fires, I think they even did some research with electrodes and such. Lots of facial expressions use AUs unintentionally although getting into the evolutionary and behavioural aspects would be too much for me :)
They also included head turns and gaze directions but this is irrelevant to facial rigging, btw.

The big advantage of FACS is that since the system uses small elements, there's an almost limitless number of expressions that can be built, and the face can move into an extreme position and still act from there (like look pretty angry with all muscles compressed and then start to talk or shout). Lip sync is also not about dialing phonemes like E and F and M, but using the various AUs to shape the lips.

The idea to use this approach in CG facial animation is kinda old by now, but the first big example was Gollum. The main reason it took such a character is that there was an inherent problem with combining to many AUs and getting a result that looks unrealistic and disturbing and kinda messed up altogether. Weta solved this by creating 'fix' shapes for practically all the thousands of combined expressions and mixing them on top of the base shapes. This involved a LOT of work but the results were amazing. Also the animators had to learn how AUs work and it was somewhat against traditional 2D animation approaches where realism was secondary, as stylization helped with readability. We all recognize a smiley face, after all (I'm told even babies do).

Today FACS is sort of an industry standard, especially after Avatar, Apes and Hobbit have taken it to a new level. But FACS was also used for Benjamin Button, Dobby in Potter 7, the CG Guy Pearce in Iron Man 3 and so on. So it was inevitable for games to implement it as well.

Last of Us is using pre-set values for bone rotations and translations to create AUs, and adds blendshapes and wrinkle maps on top. Halo 4 is not using a direct implementation of FACS but it's very similar, and it's completely blendshape based but also using wrinkle maps (and not just normal, but color as well).

I think Beyond is still not FACS but a direct transform based approach, as they're capturing from the same actor that was used for the CG model. They'll probably have to switch for PS4 projects though.

That's a great post ! Thanks for the info.

The first video there shows the flashlight not casting shadows and not bouncing light. The second one shows the flashlight casting shadows but not bouncing light either.
I am pretty sure I see bounced lighting at 17:30 once in the room in the first video. Also at around 18:40 where he gets out. Some subtle bounce at around 19:33. Its harder to see the effect because unlike the previous video this takes place during daylight. The light coming from the windows partly overshadows the dynamic change in light bounce caused by the flashlight movement

I am pretty sure I see bounced lighting at 17:30 once in the room in the first video. Also at around 18:40 where he gets out. Some subtle bounce at around 19:33. Its harder to see the effect because unlike the previous video this takes place during daylight. The light coming from the windows partly overshadows the dynamic change in light bounce caused by the flashlight movement
At those moments the brightness increases but that's because the HDR eye adaptation kicks in. No bouncing light there. Also, there are certain rooms where it's pretty dark so that alone doesn't explain the lack of the effect (or the lack of shadows).

maybe its simply because those two demos are from different built? one demo ND disabled the shadow from flashlight, the other one ND successfully enabled it.

Btw whatever ND has done, it seems they successfully limit the distribution of this new last of us demo. The previous demo that dark and short got leaked to the internet very fast.

New Dev series video. haven't watched any before, but i am watching this one as this is about gamelpay and I am still not sure what the gameplay of LOU is about. Hope it doesn't spoil too much.

i really need to borrow my friend ps3 again when TLOU released and i can get the game disc :D
hoping the game seller did not charge extraorbitant price

Back