Last of Us [PS4]

That's my point. What's 'twice better' and how is that more or less than 'much better'?

Since visual appeal is subjective from person to person… one can rank or score pretty much the way they want.

From a technological standpoint however, TLoU could be ranked or scored by the technical nature of the updates (native resolution, texture size, lighting improvement, LOD scale, FPS, etc...).

Example: The PS4 edition has twice the framerate of the PS3 edition… has twice the pixel density… the character models (mesh) are significantly higher… LOD distance is twice the size of it's predecessor... and so and so on.

In other words, if the PS4 edition provides twice or three times the visual appeal from a technical hardware advantage… then Globalisateur can make the case it looks 2x-3x times better than its predecessor – from a technological standpoint anyhow, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW OK I WAS WRONG O_O They are using cutscene quality models...they look far improved. I wish someone would zoom up to a wall or something and show the models in game though...the photomode ones are all i've seen
Photomode is realtime, i only added dof to the shots.
iFlqMUthqYnPF.jpg

Pre-Render
i1z5Ru0DCogR2.jpg

Realtime photomode
ixdSp34KOh82F.jpg

ibjfh4WBZISq9V.jpg

Pre-Render
iQpMlrlFqxAB.jpg

I will post more comparisons later

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my point. What's 'twice better' and how is that more or less than 'much better'?
Reaction to seeing much (50%) better - "hey, that looks better."
Reaction to seeing twice as good - "wow, that looks loads better."

People are using numeric terms to address visceral responses. It's like the old "grade this something on a scale of x to y" metric. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does this hurt?" Without calibration of the scale, the results aren't at all scientific, but they give you a vague idea. "Twice as good" in terms of perception may come from anything like 50% to 400% more power and tech, like audio and light being twice as loud/bright requiring a far greater amount of energy than 2x as much.

People should probably natural language terms like 'similar but notable improved' and 'much better in all areas' etc., but the numbers provide a quick, ropey shorthand for those.

Gamestop (in Germany at least) has some pretty decent trade-in deals for TLoU. Give em two old games from a specific list and it's yours. There are some truly old-ass games on that list too. Games like Nier and Lego Star Wars Episode I-VI for example. I usually think GS's trade-in practices are borderline fraudulent, but in this case the system seems incredibly fair.

Mix of the gameplay videos from my first day of playing.

I'm still in the "pick objects with Square" mode from Wolfenstein, and I regularly hit Photo Mode button during combat... :-/

This is gonna be one of the longest game I would ever finish thanks to that photomode:), words can not describe how awesome of these shots look from GAF, yep this will make the wait for other games coming out this year much much easier.

Reaction to seeing much (50%) better - "hey, that looks better."
Reaction to seeing twice as good - "wow, that looks loads better."

People are using numeric terms to address visceral responses. It's like the old "grade this something on a scale of x to y" metric. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does this hurt?" Without calibration of the scale, the results aren't at all scientific, but they give you a vague idea. "Twice as good" in terms of perception may come from anything like 50% to 400% more power and tech, like audio and light being twice as loud/bright requiring a far greater amount of energy than 2x as much.

People should probably natural language terms like 'similar but notable improved' and 'much better in all areas' etc., but the numbers provide a quick, ropey shorthand for those.

Sometimes with your mind's tendency to over analyze of the tiniest things, I wonder. Do you find moments where you are at peace and calmness with your mind? Do you sleep at night or do you have excess brain activity? Its like the next step would be you coming up with an application of a standard model-like formula that explains every thought and argument ever conceived. :p

Are you one of the guys from the Big Bang Theory?

Photomode is realtime, i only added dof to the shots...

wow, these look really good to my eye. The beard is crazy!

Pre-downloaded it yesterday...but fall asleep before midnight...today my GF has birthday, will try it tomorrow.

I am really curious how it feels coming back.

After finishing TLoU on PS3, I could not game for weeks...every other game in comparison looked stale and not worth it...took me some time to recover.

wow, these look really good to my eye. The beard is crazy!

Pre-downloaded it yesterday...but fall asleep before midnight...today my GF has birthday, will try it tomorrow.

I am really curious how it feels coming back.

After finishing TLoU on PS3, I could not game for weeks...every other game in comparison looked stale and not worth it...took me some time to recover.

The same here. Now imagine my horror when I tried RE6 right after I finished TLOU. My mind felt violated by the lack of care that Capcom showed for their audiovisual panorama. I felt underestimated as a consumer. I felt treated like someone who would consider Twilight as a vampire mastetpiece instead of Interview with the Vampire

I thought RE6 looked terrific. Just not all the way through thanks to somebody's bafflingly stupid decision to stretch a shooter to 35 hours worth of playtime.

Back