Last Call before the Xbox Reveal: And the Durango hardware is ...

What will be under the Durango hood?

• Total voters
You should add a "No specs reveal, the madness goes on" option ;)

QFT,

Although I think we can safely say that if no specs are revealed tonight then VG was more than likely bang on the money, and of course MS would have chosen not to talk about specs that were obviously inferior to the competition's hardware offerings.

I picked VG leaks being spot on... I mean their info was from dev docs. You don't screw your devs over with incorrect HW details. And even any minor improvements like clockspeed changes etc are unlikely imho as they would screw with a system that is already designed to be balanced from the outset, meaning the whole system becomes bandwidth starved, as well as being hot and requiring a more expensive redesigned cooling solution. Too big of a change if you ask me.

MS will focus on showing what the system can do as is, rather than chest beating what the specs are. The proof will be in the pudding that their system will be able to compete visually with the PS4's launch titles.

No. If they dont reveal the specs its clear enough that they have the weaker machine even without announcing them.

Ah don't count on it.
The fact that MS didn't officially reveal the specs was taken by many as evidence of the falseness of VGleaks and DF info so if MS won't revel the specs the fanboys will keep saying that "nothing is true, everything is possible" and the madness will go on.
No really we had reliable info from reliable sites but this didn't stop the noise.

@Acert93
You should mention DF as well in the poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah don't count on it.
The fact that MS didn't officially reveal the specs was taken as evidence of the falseness of VGleaks and DF info (argument from ignorance) so if MS won't revel the specs the fanboys will keep saying that "nothing is true, everything is possible".

don't write this [mod]nonsense[/mod] in this thread too

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony did it. If Microsoft not even release a pdf with specs today or tomorrow its a sign and clear one.

Microsoft has an advantage with gpu tech/specs last time, and never wrote a word about those specs.
Sony uses to talk about this, they are not the same company, so while I hope that they talk about specs, if they don't this means nothing. the the nda will be lifted anyway

I'm chicken too. I'm not as technical so going with any of the other options would have been hit or miss. I do think something is a miss though. So I wouldn't be surprised if they specs turned up different though. GrimThorne makes a lot of good points, but I don't know have a good enough gut feeling to go out on a limb. LOL

Tommy McClain

Microsoft has an advantage with gpu tech/specs last time, and never wrote a word about those specs.
MS came out with a 1 teraflop nonsense PR statement with 360, and then a whole PR battle about memory bandwidths and crap. Both sides were entrenched in an ugly specs war, which was pointless because where perhaps the PS3 won on paper, the XB360 had the better average game experience. Specs don't matter; it's what's on screen, although with the same basic architecture, specs do matter in comparing.

As mentioned before, if you have a competitive advantage you use it. There's no reason to withhold specs if your specs are better than your rivals. If MS don't reveal any specs, we can take that as performance below that of their rival. What I expect is MS to talk about features as empowering. eg. "We've added custom display planes that allow PIP video with no impact to the game," and, "greatest audio processor ever to feature in a gaming device, creating, for the first time, immersive audio worlds every bit as good as the graphics on screen," and, "innovative memory move engines that alleviate a tedious job from the core processors, freeing them to work on what they do best," and other spins. If MS have a faster core, they'll mention it, "a cutting-edge 1.8 GHz 8 core CPU," because they'll one up their rival. If their GPU isn't as powerful, say the 1.2TF 12 CU design, they'll gloss over it and let the games do the talking - "a customised AMD APU with state-of-the-art, beyond DX 11 (they'll have a customised DX11.1) graphics processor making games more realistic and life-like than ever before. But don't take out word for it; let our content partners reveal the exciting accomplishment that XBox Infinity is enabling (cue montage of games followed by individual butt-kissing sales pitches by EA and Activision execs etc.)"

PR operates to a formula. It's about manipulating information to give a best possible impression of your product/service/client/policy (as an aside, it's also the worst corruption ever to come out of language and human intelligence, in total contrast to the principal of effective communication and clear, informed, intelligent decision making :(). MS will follow the same strategy of everyone else and never, ever, admit to being in an inferior position in any area. Talk up what you do well, and talk down what you do not so well/badly. As a result, more critical people can read between the lines and understand the real product/service/person in terms of the balance between what's said and what isn't.

another Poll, but on gamers, should be interesting

Xbox-Reveal-Infograph.jpg

It's so weird that I'm the only one choosing a relevant change in clock speeds...

Can I get a virtual present, like a virtual pat in the back, if I get to be the only one in the forum who hits the right choice?

It's so weird that I'm the only one choosing a relevant change in clock speeds...

Can I get a virtual present, like a virtual pat in the back, if I get to be the only one in the forum who hits the right choice?

Traditionally clockspeeds go down not up, as final silicon is produced and the console cooling solutions are tested and refined.

I'm not seeing any significant clock increase at all, as it would mean not only a cooling redesign but also a higher rated power supply, which would add to the expense of the unit for little gain. Plus with DDR3 2183, they can't reasonably clock the memory higher, so they become even more memory bandwidth starved to the main pool, not to mention the GPU ROPs also becoming memory bandwidth starved as the SDRAM remains fixed.

All in all, a clock increase is not as trivial a change as people would like to make it out to be.

I'm going with vgleaks was spot on. There may be a clock change and the only reason I say this is because sony didn't release there clock speed. Shifty is right if there specs are better they will shout it from the roof tops.

Once the #XboxReveal event begins, the poll voting option will be locked down with discussion about the event as it happens In this thread.

Personally, I'm leaning towards VG/DF leaks being spot on. Though I'm hoping for something big to have changed to surprise us.

Back